1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Speaker Change on my Emo Pack

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

Thanks for the update Johnny. I'll keep that in my mind when my turn comes. ;)
  2. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    great work man.. Even i need to get the damping done for my baby.. Would keep in mind these things
  3. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Thanks for a nice detailed write up johnny. I will be upgrading ICE sometime soon. These points will come in handy for sure.
  4. HarishSegar

HarishSegar

Mumbai
    I am looking to change the speakers on my Linea too. I saw that the power rating of hte HU is 4x30W. Wouldnt installing higher rms put extra load on the HU ? The one you have selected appears to be 100w rms.
  5. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    It wont put any load. But your speakers wont be able to perform at their full potential. an amp is highly recommended ::D
  6. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Harish,

Your observation is very valid, and soccerfan has pointed out the obvious implications.

My own experience with audio systems is that the most important part is the speaker. Being an electro-mechanical component, it is the part that normally gives way with 'misuse'. In my opinion it is always better to have a speaker that is rated higher than the amp. In case the mismatch is very significant, as in my case, the sound can be sub-optimal especially if the speakers are not very efficient. Fortunately, the MTX speakers are very efficient and they sound great & balanced even at low listening volumes (I usually play music at volume level 8-11).

The second point is that with these speakers, power handling, even at full volume is a non-issue. They sound great even at peak volume. So, personally I am very happy with the set-up. In case you have a dealer who has MTX speakers, audition them. I do believe that you will not be disappointed.

Regards

Johnny
  7. HarishSegar

HarishSegar

Mumbai
    I am planning to do a similar upgrade. Maybe just replace the speakers with components and no amps. The manual just says 4x30W. I am assuming that is 30W RMS. I am thinking on keeping the components around that range - 30 - 50w rms maybe. Will go this weekend to couple of shops and have a look at what options are available.
  8. vidooshak

vidooshak

Bangalore
    Very useful thread. Anyone got good recco for someone to do an after-market install of music system on Punto Active in Bangalore? Preferably South Bangalore (Jayanagar, etc)

Thanks!
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi vidooshak,

I had initially planned on buying the Active and had done a reccee for an audio system. My findings were as follows:-

(a) Head unit : Pioneer 4190 SD - Good sound, and best of all it can take SD/SDHD cards. So, you can put in a 8/16 Gb card with music, and it will keep going for a while. No need to change CDs etc.

(b) My thread talks about speaker options. Two other brands that I checked out are Bull, and Blaupunkt. They are are value for money with good balanced sound even without an amp.

I did not plan on installing an amp & sub. So, I cannot offer proper advice about these components. Definitely, the sound quality will improve if you include an amp and a sub.

Lastly, you must install damping on all four doors doors. It will make a big difference in the sound quality.

Regards
    Johnny
  10. Johnny thanks Buddy you have been great help on this, my ears are just settling down with the current speakers its just BAD, I have a 2 way Amp (BLau) from my previous car and I am planning to get one more 2 Way and of course comps.any suggestions here.

Actually i was little scared and reluctant "warranty clause" but now i am lil more confident however will check during the weekend about the config i just mentioned.