1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sound Proofing- need advice and tips

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by sine04, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I own a 2009 Punto Diesel. I was fairly happy with the Stock sound proofing in my car, ie., until I sat myself in a 2013 Punto. The sound insulation in the new car is unbelievable! My car feels like a tractor in comparison!!

I now plan to go the DIY way to boost up the sound proofing level in my car.

I've identified the 5 doors, spare wheel well and firewall as potential areas to sound proof. I won't tamper with the wheel arches, roof, floor ( I have the rubber matting on the floor, so don't want to tear it apart ) unless it is absolutely necessary. Also, I don't want to go the Dynamat or other off the shelf product way.

I plan to use neoprene rubber pieces as mass dampers (on the bare metal surface), followed by a closed cell foam layer (the dark grey coloured one commonly used in packaging) as absorber and finally another layer of neoprene sheet as a barrier.

Am I heading in the right way? My logic says that 2 rubber layers enclosing a foam layer in between is correct as it'll keep the outside noise away, at the same time retain the 'inside' sound.
    1 person likes this.
  2. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

I have done some diy cheapo damping that works well. Remind me to show it to you next time we meet!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  3. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Two cheap options I have seen working fine are

- Yoga mats
    - Foam damping

My car is doing just fine with foam damping, though it was not a DIY & was done by an aftermarket person.
  4. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    I read about your roofing material damping project! :)
    Some forums suggest that the tar might melt and stain the window glass. Not true?
  5. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    Yoga mat is a nice idea! Any idea about the material composition? Need info about its thermal, water resistance and damping capababilitites.
  6. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

That was my worry as well. However the material I got is holding up very well! No tar smells either even after parking in the hot sun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  7. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    That's nice! Brand, quantity, price and shop address please! :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
  8. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Fiat Enthusiast
    Completed boot after almost a full day's work. 3 layers of 'PlasticFelt' on the metal part, 2 layers of the same sheet plus 2 (3 at some places) of foam on the plastic card. 4 doors ( ;( ) still pending.
    Edit: PlastikFelt is the bitumen sheet suggested by SunnyBoi.

uploadfromtaptalk1389708717547.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  9. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    +1 to sine04. Brand, quantity and price please. Address may not be of much use as I need to figure out in Chennai. Price is just for a guideline.
  10. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

The oens I got were branded IWL Plastikfelt, cost 75rs per square meter. You need to put 2 or 3 layers to get a good damping effect.

I recently did the whole boot+rear seat area. Made a huge difference, I'll be doing the same for the floor next time I take out the carpets.

pLsvYVw.jpg