1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sound deadening query

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by RaviHegde, May 22, 2012.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Following the great posts in this forum and elsewhere I upgraded the stock speakers in the front doors of my Punto. I used PolkAudio DB 651 co-axials. I had to dampen the doors after upgrade because doors started rattling after upgrade. I used one layer of dynamat xtreme on the outer and inner skins of the front doors. As a side effect road noise has reduced dramatically. I have few more dynamat sheets left over. I have become greedy now for further noise reduction :D I need some expert advise - should I use it on the rear doors or on the front side floor/kick panel area. Where does it give best noise reduction? Please advise.
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I would say use it in the rear doors . For front side floor area, Dynamat have a different material /mat . By the way from where did you manage to get those sheets & how much did they cost you ? The dampening you did, was it a DIY ? Can you please pen down some more details.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I believe Dynamat Xtreme can be used anywhere inside the cabin area. For firewall / bonnet area they have some special material to withstand the engine heat. I got dynamat shipped from US with a friend returning from US. No need to say he was not happy about lugging that extra weight! Dynamat is available from Dynamat India distributor/dealers. Price is slightly higher compared to ebay. When I calculated some time back it was very close to ebay price + shipping + import tax. Rockford India / Prime International is the Dynamat distributor in India. Their dealer network information is available at Dealer Locator : Rockford Fosgate® (India).

Damping was DIY. How I did it: (sorry, no photos for now. will try to post it with more details under DIY section)

* I followed instructions at Changing the front speakers walkthrough (With Pics) - The FIAT Forum to open the front door panel and take out the speakers. Everything in that guide holds good - except his advice of working with the wires and the door lock/unlock mechanism attached to the door panel.
    * I disconnected the wires and detached the door lock mechanism from the door panel to completely take off the door panel. It is a good idea to wrap the door panel in a cloth to avoid scratches and stash it under the bed because it is going to take quite some time (few weeks in my case since I was working for few hours only on week ends).
    * Pulled out the weather seal and discarded it. Being the perfectionist I am, cleaned the black gooey thing holding the weather seal also using thinner. While doing other door I found that pulling the weather seal in quick snaps leaves least of that glue on the door. Pulling it slowly makes it very sticky and lot of it sticks to the door.
    * I have seen people using chisel and hammer to chisel out the rivets holding stock speakers. Much better idea is to drill them out. Be very careful if you plan to use electric drill, you may end up drilling much more than rivets! I used a hand drill costing Rs. 180.00 to reduce the danger of electric drill.
    * I used Polkaudio DB 651 coaxials in the front doors. Did not want to spend any more because my goal was to get better sound with minimum modifications to the car. Still running stock speakers in the rear doors. Thinking of upgrading them too to Polk DB series soon.
    * First tried without any dampening. I was seriously disappointed by the vibration/rattling. Dampening is must if you upgrade to any decent speaker. There comes the need for Dynamat. I heard plain Dynamat does not work well. It must be Dynamat Xtreme. I don't think they are selling the plain Dynamat (the non Xtreme version) now.
    * A friend was returning from US at the same time. I had to trouble him because I needed Dynamat very badly! I had Dynamat with me within a week's time of discovering the need for Dynamat.
    * Unmounted the speakers I had mounted for testing.
    * Thoroughly cleaned inner and outer skin surfaces on which Dynamat had to be applied. Dried the surfaces by parking the car in sun for few hours. Do not keep dynamat in the car when you park it in sun. It becomes pretty difficult to peel off backing paper when Dynamat softens because of heat.
    * I cut out some newspaper templates to suit the areas where Dynamat had to be applied. This helped a lot for the outer skin (inside of the door visible from outside of car) where accessibility is a major problem. Having the paper template helped me to cut Dynamat to the right shape and size with minimal wastage. It is a real PITA to reach the outer skin of the door to apply Dynamat. Be careful, you may end up with stuck window if you get Dynamat glue on the window winding mechanism/power window mechanism by mistake.
    * Applying Dynamat on inner skin is much easier. However, ensure that you take off the plastic holders attaching wires to the door before applying dynamat. Also ensure you leave the openings of all fasteners (screws, plastic holders etc.) open for putting the door panel back on the door.
    * First applied Dynamat over the speaker opening area and attached the speakers. Do it before you close all the openings in the door. Else you can't hold the clips/bolts behing the speaker when tightening the screws.
    * Highly recommended to close all openings in the door so that door becomes a speaker enclosure. I have tried without this. Sound is not good without closing all the openings on the door. It is worth one Dynamat sheet spent for covering all the openings. It is not necessary to cover the whole of inner skin in Dynamat as you may see in dampening guides and youtube videos. It is enough if you cover the most tinny sounding areas and close all openings to get better bass effect.
    * Make sure you leave space for the door opening latch to operate when you put the door panel back. Another important thing is making sure the door lock/unlock mechanism is not affected because of Dynamat. I wrapped that also in the closed cell foam so that Dynamat sticks on the foam, not directly to the door opening mechanism wire.
    * Wrapped the wires, plastic connectors etc. dangling from the door in closed cell foam. I got some foam used for a/c pipe insulation (available on JC Road in Bangalore for Rs. 16.00 a meter. 1 meter is more than enough.). This wrapping will avoid rattles caused by wires and the connectors vibrating when the speakers are thumping.
    * Ensure speakers are connected with right polarity to avoid they going out of phase. It is a good idea to use speaker polarity testing audio tracks to confirm speakers are connected properly.
    * Turn on the ignition key, fire up your favorite music and enjoy!

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need details of any specific step.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Well explained Ravi. Even I too recently applied dynamat extreme on the front doors myself ;) . I also happened to get the sheets from a friend of mine who was returning from US & I saved nearly 2k-3k INR by getting it from there. Yes the price difference was so much. I had purchased the sheets from Amazon & it was delivered to my friend's address in US. My speakers were fixed by some professionals as I am not that good in electronics. I have really not taken those extra care which you have taken for sticking the sheets like cleaning the glue with thinner, wrapping the wires in cell foam etc . But I have used dynamat roller for pressing out the sheet against the metal which minimised the chances of air pockets. Though I have managed to cover the entire area, the work wont look very clean from outside & hence I didnt take any snaps. But it surely serves the purpose .