1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sore left thigh after any drive - Clutch problem?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by limraj, Feb 29, 2016.

1. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Hi folks,

I have a Linea MJD that has done 75K kms (3 years, 1 month). More than 40% of this distance would have been run in traffic situations in Trivandrum. Not bumper to bumper as in Bangalore or Madras, I usually wait in first gear, with clutch applied. Otherwise, I do not use clutch un-necessarily(like half clutch etc).
    For the last 4-5 months, or about 8k-10k kms, I am feeling that the clutch is not as smooth as it used to be and it is kind of a little tight to shift gears. I have to fully depress the clutch pedal to shift gears, especially for the lower gears. And after any drive for more than 30 mins, I feel my left thigh is sore/stiff.

During the 75K service a week back, I asked the service centre to check if clutch has issues. Though, the service guy has noted "tight clutch", they did not advise me to change it, as it was min/manageable tightness. They asked me to check the clutch condition at 90K service and then change if necessary. There is no recommendation on the printout given to me after 75k service as well.

I mentioned it to a local service guy and he also mentioned there could be a problem with clutch pressure plate.

1. Is the soreness/stiffness I feel on my left thigh a result of bad clutch?
    2. Should I wait for 90k service or check and change it now?
    3. If I change it outside FASS, will it void my extended warranty?
    4. Is changing it outside FASS recommended? Would I have to change any oils along with this?
    5. Is this the pressure plate part ? http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/clutch-kit-1-3mjd-linea.html

Please advise me
    Thank you
  2. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @limraj

as per my experience please see my suggestions below.

1. Is the soreness/stiffness I feel on my left thigh a result of bad clutch?-

i had the same issue while after 50k on odo and around 4 years of ownership and yes clutch tightening did contribute to that, even after a 70 km to 80 km ride my left thigh was sore.

2. Should I wait for 90k service or check and change it now?

if you feel that you can live with sore thigh after long drives then you can wait till 90k also if you drive on mostly hilly terrains with full load then better to change it. In My case i had to meet few drives to coorg , so changed it to avoid any unwanted risk

3. If I change it outside FASS, will it void my extended warranty?

yes, think so

4. Is changing it outside FASS recommended? Would I have to change any oils along with this?

No, unless you know some body who had replaced it outside FASS. Not much idea on the oils, mine was replaced along with the 60k services where all oils were replaced as a part of the service.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    You should have insisted on getting the clutch plate changed if the SA had agreed the plate being tighter than usual. I don't see any reasons why you should wait till 90K. The part is covered under warranty with a caveat that worn out or burnt clutches are not covered in EW.

The soreness is thighs can also be due to lack on under thigh support which is absent in most of the Fiat vehicles. Placing a terry towel below the thighs can reduce this sore ness to a great extent. Try this if this works.
    limraj likes this.
  4. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    @ghodlur, I did not know that it was covered under warranty. I have now made a call to the SA. He is checking the warranty thing and will call back.
    Terry towel: Sure. I will put one like those used by the politicians in Kerala and see.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
  6. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you @ghodlur. I just spoke to the FASS guys and they say that for a 3 year old 75K done car, clutch would have worn out and would not be covered.
    How to know if it is a wear and tear or not?
    I don't face any issue of power loss or FE. In fact, I am getting very nice FE and decreased turbo lag (turbo comes on around 1500rpm).

I have booked an appointment on 4th Mar, Friday.

I am worried, if they ask me to change more than pressure plate.
  7. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    They change the clutch as a kit. pressure plate + Clutch plate and the release bearing.

And it is suggested as well. as the labour for getting to the clutch is pretty high. and might as well change it as a set.
    limraj and gpunto75 like this.
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I'm inclined to change it as a set, if warranty claim is not going through. Checked with FASS to confirm that clutch kit is available by 4th, Friday.
    PradeepM likes this.
  9. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I got my car driven (approx 12 km) by a colleague, who owns a Punto 75HP for about 5 years now.
    He says he does not find any issue with the clutch and recommended 'bleeding the clutch' (removing air from clutch), rather than changing it.
    The FASS - Hyson, Kochi's recommendation was to check the clutch again at 90k kms and change if necessary.
    Anyways, I would ask a friendly technician at Mohandas FASS, Trivandrum to check the car and advise me. Mostly, I would try bleeding and see if the situation improves and then change the clutch.
  10. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Update : I got the clutch bleed of the air and it has improved the situation, but, not by a big margin. I have now driven the car for about 500 kms.
    The FASS again confirmed that there is no issue with the clutch. I still face the tough to depress clutch pedal, especially when in the mornings, and it acts very smooth when the car is already in motion for some time.
    And they said warranty of clutch not available for 75K kms run one.
    I would wait for some more, months may be, and then decide to change the clutch or not. For 90K service (ie, in another 6-8 months), I would consider clutch replacement.