1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Soot in Alloys - New Punto MJD 2012. EDIT - It's brake dust!

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by sriramr9, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Hi All,
    I have been driving my newly acquired 2012 model White MJD GPunto. The car has done 420 odd kms in the odo. Today as i was cleaning the vehicle i could see soot formation on both the front alloys which i wiped out clean with a cloth.

It is very evident that the soot has permeated and found it's way somehow from the engine bay. I attached a pic of the cloth after wipe.

I am a first time owner of a diesel powered car, hence excuse my ignorance and confirm if such occurrences are uncommon for any diesel car for that matter. I feel odd about this whole thing..

Awaiting your valuable feedback on this for prompt action... photo.jpg
  2. maverick

maverick Amatore

Hey looks like that's just brake dust nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone
    1 person likes this.
  3. Tron

Tron Superiore

@sriramr9, it seems you are not going through forum. ;-P
    Just kidding, don't sweat atal its not from engine bay or anything like that. Its just break dust coming from your break pads. Many cars can be seen with break dust(kinda black ceramic powder). Its not mfg defect, its NORMAL! So just chill & enjoy your ride.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Yup, it's brake dust, don't worry about it.
  5. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Buddy chill out and drive safe, its only a Dust from the Brake shoe as its new and will vanish few times.
    Just enjoy the drive and post some wonderful beauty
  6. royj

royj Esperto

It is just brake dust and it will not vanish and will be there as long as you use the car. Just keep cleaning daily. If you don't see the dust, then you have a problem with the brake pads and get them checked immediately.
  7. maverick

maverick Amatore

Only during the initial days you will see lot of brake shoe dust, once the car has settle down you will see less dust on the rims.

Sent from my iPhone
  8. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

With reference to my previous post I thank you all for your valuable answers on the brake pad dust thing, for which i had a concern about.

I also have few more queries on the 2012 GP. The car being brand new, yesterday on a hot sunny day i happen to drive around during day time and kept the A/c ON in Lo setting.

1. Somehow for the entire 30-45 mins drive even with the A/c working non stop, i could not get a grip of how the Auto Climate control system works. The chillness factor in the cabin was not as I had expected on the car. I am not sure if i am over expecting from a car that I am very little used to, but felt the cooling to be not so effective. Is this normal punto behavior. One point i would like to notify is, the Sun Film (IR reduction sun film) is not yet installed on any of the windows.

There was better cooling during the evening drive after sun set. Kdinyl clarify.

2. Is there any limitation to use the Air-con in the running in period. There has been mixed feelings with few suggesting to keep the A/c religiously OFF in first 1000 kms and few others not.

3. I have been driving in the 1500-2000RPM range and touched a max of 60 kph. Confirm me if this as per Team BHP specification ?
  9. sungoa2010

After driving around 800km from goa to cochin my wheel caps became grey due to break dust. I usually clean my tyres once in 3 days.
  10. Srini

Srini Regolare

You need to get used to the auto A/c. It will not keep on blowing cool air as in regular manual aircon. Upon the temp setting you are using, it will stop blowing cool air and switch on again when required depending on the car temp and relative temp outside. Instead you will enjoy uniform cooling where you will never sweat if you are using the correc temperature. What is the temp you are using?