1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sony S Tablet - ways to access Internet? EDIT-DLink wifi Pocket Router

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by VahanPujari, Feb 16, 2012.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    OT - Better solution would be to sell off the Sony tab and get a 3G enabled one na? ;-)
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Nope. I'm determinded to make it work. Tonight my neighbourhood PC guy is lending me a TP-Link router and Intex Data card till the time D-Link router is procured. Only disadvantage with TP-link router is it does not have battery and needs to be wired to AC power socket. That's fine for 3-4 days. Atleast, I'll able to use the tablet for internet.

I won't sell off Sony Tab. 10" screen seems addictive :). When I looked at other tab with 7" screen, it appears quite smaller :).
  3. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    I had hit a road block on Tuesday when Intex data card did not work with TP-Link router. It was not compatible with router. Which means it won't be compatible with D-Link router also. Checked D-Link website & Intex name is not there in compatible data cards. So, these universal data cards usually do not work with such routers. However, Intex worked very well with a Tata Docomo 2G SIM I purchased (Rs. 95 for 1 month with 4 GB :D). Another search ensued for routers with SIM Card slot. There is a Micromax MMX 400R router which has SIM card slot which works with both 2G & 3G SIM. It's available at only Rs. 4K. But Micromax quality is questionable hence discarded that option.

There are 2 D-Link pocket routers that I'm considering.

D-Link - Wireless 3G Category Product List

- DIR 457U pocket Router:

Price - Rs. 6000. It has a SIM card slot, so unlcoked & open to any operator. Thus, it is a USB Modem & wifi Router Combined.

DWR - 131:

Price - Rs. 4500/-. It has a RJ45 port & USB Port. So, I've to buy a USB dongle like Tata Photon, Reliance Netconnect etc. That again will be restrictive unless I get it unlocked.

My question is - will 2G SIM work on both these D Link routers? Croma sales guys say 2G won't work, only 3G SIM will work (3G plans are costlier). I called D Link tech support. They checked & confirmed 2G & 3G both will work. I spoke to D Link Distributor. He first said only 3G will work and when I mentioned about my conversation with D Link Tech support, he said that then 2G will work.

What do you guys think? Will 2G SIM work? (e.g. I've Tata Docomo prepaid SIM with Rs. 95 for 1 month & 4 GB). Will it work?

If 2G SIM works, then I'll take DIR-457U, use it as 2G, purchase a basic wifi router (Rs. 1500) for Home PC to use Hathway Cablenet on tablet while at home.

If only 3G SIM works, then I've to completely reverse the plan. I'll then need to make 3G internet plan as my primary plan (may be go for Rs. 650 for 1 GB or about Rs. 850 for 2 GB for 30 days or MTNL unlimited Plan for Rs. 4500 for 6 months). I'll then need to change my Hathway Plan to minimal entry level plan so kids can use it while I'm away at office and router is with me.
  4. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    OT - Actually the usage of 2G here is a misnomer. 2G networks were built mainly for voice services and slow data transmission. So what you have on your BlackBerry currently is either 2.5G (GPRS) or 2.75G/2.9G (EDGE).

Anyway, coming to the point, all future technologies are backwards compatible. In fact, even though my MTNL (Jadoo) SIM is a 3G one, I have 4 connection options in it - Prefer 3G over 2G (i.e. if both are available), Only 3G, Any (3G or 2G, depending on which signal reception is stronger in an area) and Only 2G.

So whether you take DIR 457U pocket Router or DWR - 131, if they are 3G compatible, 2G would work. As a test, you can carry both SIMs and check it at the shop. Cost wise, both will be same. Because in DWR 131, you will spend another 1200-1500 in buying a USB dongle.

BUT let me ask you a simple question - do you enjoy browsing on your EDGE network on the BlackBerry? I'm assuming the answer is no. If that's the case, why do you want to fall in the same rut again and extend that experience on the tablet?

My BB runs of EDGE and I find the experience similar to a dialup connection (if not worse). On the other hand, MTNL 3G SIM is as fast as broadband connection.

So decide based on your patience level. I just cannot stand the slow speeds of 2G and hence, even though 3G is costly, I prefer that and use it over and above my BB EDGE (unlimited plan).

BTW, how much is your daily commute? And are you planning to keep the pocket router in the car all the time?
  5. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Gotcha!!!
    Finally. Days of hard work paid off.
    Went to croma on sunday. Pleasant surprise hat lots of dlink products were available. Another road block. Sales guys refused qto confirm In fact said that 2g wont work on such routers. Kida in me prompted me to call customer tech support. And aaafterwords wwih dlink tech support manager. Spoke to 2 dlink distributors. Everyody first said 2g wont work. But after probing said it will wrk. Went to a disibutor on monday. could not test as it was late evening nd all tech employees left.

Took the risk and bought dlink dir 457U and DW 524. the latter is for home pc.
    Got excellent deal a he is distrbutor.
    457U mrp is 9000. market price is 6000. got t at 5200 and 524basic router at 1200:)

while in car will use 457U. While at home will use 524 on hathway.

thanks. Speed seems to be very good and not pathetic like Blackberry.
    My daily one way commute is min 1.5 hours.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    [/QUOTE]

Great! Can you please post the Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test results?
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  7. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    You are right. I also thought that 2G must work because of backward compatibility. But the morons at Croma sowed enough seeds in mind. They were absolutely confident that 2G won't work and even shown me some Olive router open boxes that they tested it and it did not work. They did not allow me to test D-Link router with 2G SIM & my tablet. I had to speak to D-Link support, then to Tech Manager and then 2 Distributors. Surprisingly everybody first said 2G won't work!

Yeah. Both routers would have cost the same. Only advantage with DWR-131 was it also had a LAN port. The advantage with DIR-457U is that it has a SIM card slot and hence it's open-ended/ unlocked & I'm free to use any ISP/ operator as I deem fit. That advantage tilted the balance towards DIR-457U.
    It's a very elegant, sleek, slim and attractive device and quite small that it can be covered in palm.

I hate browsing on BB !! But this combo of 2G with wifi with Sony Tab seems to work fine. Let me observe it for a few days.
    Yes. I bought Pocket Router 457U for car & DIR-524 (4 LAN ports) router for Home PC
  8. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Right now I'm browsing thro' my PC. Here is Hathway Broadband speedtest I just did. Shall have to do similar on 2G Tata Docomo.

Following is done on PC. Tab also shows similar speed - 0.98 Mbps download speed & 0.12 Mbps Upload speed

Hathway-Speedtest.png
  9. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Umm these are Wifi speeds right? And if I'm not wrong, your tablet is also on Wifi right now? I'm more interested to see the 2G speeds.
  10. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Here it goes.
    2G Tata Docomo speed on speedtest.net

I don't know why Chennai server is selected. Will try again. But till then the speed results are...

Download - 0.17 Mb/s
    Upload - 0.08 Mb/s
    Ping - 479 ms