1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sony S Tablet - ways to access Internet? EDIT-DLink wifi Pocket Router

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by VahanPujari, Feb 16, 2012.

1. @VP

the basic recharge is 96rs or so!
    this is for edge(2g) speed
    for better speeds like 3g or any other you need to pay more

however this basic recharge would make your job easier

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Turbos and Pistonz • View topic - Vw polo 1.6 3G/Wifi Enabled

Amit sir check this! this might be of some help!
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    ^^Hey Srikar - Thanks. This sounds like the similar solution I'm thinking of. But the details are not yet posted.
  3. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Are you sure Android does not support data cards? I'm surprised to hear that. Technically any USB modem can be connected to Android Tablet. I am pretty sure it should.

EDIT - First link on Google throws up a solution for you - Know How to Connect USB Modem To Android Tablet

OT - I had an Android phone and as soon as I connected it to my Netbook, I could browse using my phone's 3G data plan. I could also use my Android phone as a wifi router and connect my Netbook wire-lessly to browse.

If you are going for the Wifi Router hub option, you can safely buy any unlocked 3G USB modem off Ebay. I bought on for Rs 1200 (it is IDEA branded, but unlocked by seller) and plonked in MTNL 3G SIM. The basic prepaid plan from MTNL costs Rs 99 pm and gives 130 mb of bundled data.
  4. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    USB Modem can't work with Android just by attaching it to USB port unless Android device is 3G enabled. Only if the device is 3G enabled, there is step-by-step process of accessing Net thro' USB Data Card.

The option I'm going to use is more or less similar to what you mentioned. When I asked Vodafone guy that I'll be going for a USB Data Card with a SIM slot to have flexibility of choosing any ISP I want, he suggested to buy Vodafone data card & get it unlocked from outside. I did not want to do it thro' outside. My neighbourhood PC guy is arranging for D-Link wifi PocketRouter & Intex 3G Data Card (USB Modem) with SIM slot. I'll buy it only if it works & I feel it WILL work.
  5. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Even if the tablet is not 3G enabled, you can use 2G/2.5G/EDGE na (i.e. any regular GSM SIM)? or CDMA as well (Tata Photon Plus)
  6. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    How will you connect Tata Photon with an Android Tablet? Thro' USB port? It won't recognise the data card. However, if tablet is 3G enabled, you tun on 3G, do some settings (APN etc) in tablet & then t can get connected. The other way is to use wifi router with which the data card is connected. What are the other ways to connect non-3G tablet which does not have a SIM slot and is only wifi enabled ?
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I've not used any Android tablet. However my assumption is coming from the fact that Android is a Linux-based operating system for mobile devices (smartphones and tablets).

On my Netbook (running Ubuntu), I attach Tata Photon, it detects all the settings automatically and I'm ready to browse/download instantly. Same is the case when I attach a 3G SIMmed USB dongle.

So why would a similar setup not work on an Android Tablet?
  8. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Apparently, there are some issues related to drivers for Android. I even asked Tata Photon guys & Vodafone guys. They said they are working on it !!!

However, there is a way out. If your Android tablet is 3G enabled, you turn on the 3G, attach USB data card in tablet's USB port, tweak settings in Wireless & Network-> APN option & it'll work (exactly as per the same link you've mentioned earlier, I went thro' the same site a week back while trying to find a solution. You can see in that site that 3G is required. Unfortunately, my tablet is not 3G enabled else I would have done it).
  9. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    VP I'm posting this from my BlackBerry PlayBook which is paired to my 9360 via Bluetooth. So essentially I'm utilizing the smartphone's EDGE network. This is damn slow and not too stable. However it gets the job done if you are a patient soul. But beware that graphic heavy sites will be a pain. I suggest you get a 3G plan on your smartphone and use Tethering software to browse on the tablet.
  10. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    My smartphone is BB 8530 on enterprise server which prevents Bluetooth connectivity. However I've decided on the solution. No halfhearted measures like tethering etc. It will be...
    D link DW131wifi pocket router - RS. 4500
    Intex USB modem card with SIM slot - RS. 2150

D link modem will be available only next week :(
    Till then I'm going to try a SW virtual access point today to access my laptop internet.

All these to access TFI :) else I've no interest in tablet. Currently accessing thro my BB which is a pain.