1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sony S Tablet - ways to access Internet? EDIT-DLink wifi Pocket Router

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by VahanPujari, Feb 16, 2012.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I have a BlackBerry 8530 CDMA with Reliance as a carrier. It has wi-fi & Bluetooth connectivity. I also have usual internet connectivity on this BB.

I bought a Sony S Tablet. It has only wi-fi and does not have 3G nor does it have a SIM card slot. It works on Android 3.2 Honeycomb OS. I heard that Internet Data card (like Tata Photon) can not be used on such a device. In the Wireless connectivity settings, it does not even have an option of tethering which I sawon other tablets which have 3G.

As of now the option available is to connect it thro' wifi. But I want mobility as I wanna access internet & thereby TFI :) while I'm driven in the car back home from office daily. So the option is a "portable wifi data card/ hub/ router". Tata has it but it costs Rs. 6K. My neighborhood computer guy who has become a good friend says TP-Link is releasing a product in next 10 days which will be a portable wifi data card & you can use any carrier SIM unlike Tata where you have to use only Tata SIM. That would cost me Rs. 3.5K approx.

Till then what are the alternatives ?

How can I use my BlackBerry internet for Sony Tablet?

Can I tether BB & Sony Tablet to use BB's internet?

How do I make my BB 8530 in a mobile hotspot ?
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Looks like this phone doesn't support Wireless tethering rather works on installing some software on your desktop/laptop. Time to buy another phone with Android Amit?

There seems to be a App in the Blackberry store called Tether, although I'm not sure how much compatible this would be with Sony S Tablet.
  3. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Short answer - you cannot use your BB's data plan.

Carriers in India do not allow using your BB as a modem. Try doing that with BBDM and you'll always face a connection error.

I have a BB PlayBook and can you imagine, even on that, I cannot use my BB data plan to browse! All I can do is use the 'Bridge' software to make my tablet as an extension of my BB phone. But using BIS on the Playbook is highly erratic (I made it work a few times) and damn slow.

You will be better off using the 3G dongle or tethering capabilities of an Android phone. I have not used the Tether for BB app so cannot comment on that.
  4. For the tether app to work you need this regular internet recharge if i am not wrong!
    The regular bis would not work.
    You might be charged for the usage of 3g data!

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=17.197365,79.212635
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Actually I was never sold on tablet. At home too I prefer PC over laptop. That's why I did not research before buying this from Dubai. Now I feel I should have gone for a model with 3G facility. I did extensive research for 3D LED TV which I bought. It was so effective that 10 others in the group also bought it. Few of them did not even have plan to buy it. When one looks at comparative features and price which is 40% lesser than in India it becomes irresistible. Back to tablet now.
    This is a work phone and unfortunately I don't like to carry another phone.
    My colleague says he is accessing his BB phone internet from his PlayBook. My net research tells me that only option is to wait for TP link 3G wifi portable Router. BB does not support becoming wifi hotspot. What say ?

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Only reason to buy tablet is to access TFI. I was not able to do it for hectic work schedule. Hence impulse buying.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    VP paaji, I also use a Tablet. I have a Galaxy Tab 7 that I bought in 2011 when tablets had just entered our markets. The main reason for buying the Samsung Tab was the availability of a SIM card slot. Samsung has launched Tab 7.0 plus that comes with Honeycomb, USB port, 7inch portable size, dual core processor and a SIM card slot.
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Tablets can not hold a candle to a laptop or even a netbook. I have all three and can tell you that I always prefer to use my netbook over the other two machines. It has better computing power and most importantly, a full fledged keyboard. So it's way easier to type on it.

However, the only advantages of a tablet is when you are travelling i.e. in car or in plane. The sheer portability is a winner. My tab usage is purely for entertainment (i.e. movies, songs and games) and to that extent it serves the purpose well. I have a Playbook and that too isnt 3G enabled. I use it for browsing on my home WIFi network.
    Maybe your colleague has a 3G BB plan. If that is the case, I cannot comment as I have not used it. However, I have used my PlayBook over BB EDGE BIS plan and it will surely remind you of our dial-up internet days. Unless it is really urgent, I would not use the BB internet on my tablet. It just kills the fun of using it. I think the new 7.1 OS supports hotspot feature but I have to double check.
  8. yup!!
    blackberry 9930 and 9900(touch and type) phones have been upgraded to OS 7.1 and they do have hotspot functionality!
    i doubt with those phones you can start a hotspot and use it without any additional charges!
  9. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Users of BlackBerry PlayBook rejoice!!

Native PlayBook OS 2.0 Email, Contacts, & Calendar Work Over BlackBerry Bridge Internet Connection

One of the things that I was very curious about when it came to native Email, Contacts, & Calendar on the PlayBook is if those apps would work over Bridge. I am happy to report that all three of them are working just fine over bridge and are just marginally slower than Wi-Fi which is impressive.

So now you will not need an extra data plan or tethering plan!
  10. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    You are right, Yashik. What happened is I was never interested in Tablet hence never looked at operationality. Neither did I use Android. Decision of buying Tablet from Dubai was an impulsive one. Now after reading quite a few material on Net tells me that I would have been better off if I bought Sony P instead of Sony S Model. I bought Sony S at about Rs. 24K (now launched in India just few days back at Rs. 26,990). It does not have 3G and has 16 GB capacity. Whereas Sony P has 3G and 32 GB capacity and was costing just about 5.5K to 6K more. Sony has some good features - 10" screen, throw facility (you can throw & play/view any content (movie, audio etc) from your tablet to your DLNA certified TV (Sony or any other). When I questioned about internet connectivity while buying it, my friend said it will be thro' Data cards. Sony S has a MicroUSB port. So, I thought I'll need to take a connector/ converter to convert MicroUSB to Usual USB port (female connector) where Data card can be connected to access Internet. Now I know that Android does not support Internet Data Cards:(. So, the only option to access internet is thro' wi-fi.

Anyways, I've found a few solutions:

1. Tata 3G wi-fi Hub or Reliance NetConnect+wifi hub - These are kind of wifi data cards / router/ hub / hotspot etc. However, they are costly Tata costs about Rs. 6K & Reliance one costs about Rs. 8K :eek:. Other drawback is you have to stick to Tata or Reliance for Internet data plan only, can't use other ISP plans.
    2. D-Link has a wifi PocketRouter (cost - Rs. 4.5K) which has LAN port & USB port. So, it can be connected to my Home PC (which is on Hathway Cable internet) thro' LAN port. For tablet usage away from home, I've to buy a data card which is connected to D-Link wifi router thro USB port. Intex has a data card (Cost- Rs. 2150) which comes with a SIM card slot. This gives a flexibility to use any ISP internet plan ;). I'm told that prepaid internet plans are as low as Rs. 100/ 200 p.m. So, as of now this is the solution. However, I've doubts on speed of prepaid internet plans on a SIM card. Actually, there are so many different types of internet plans on the net that it's all too confusing. Prepaid mobile internet plans, GPRS plans, Data Card plans (Tata photon etc), 3G Plans etc etc.

what say?
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012