1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sony has one of the worst service centres, EVER

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by abhinit90, Feb 5, 2013.

1. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    PS3 Super slim?

Don't worry they are rather safe, If I did not have so many games, then I would not be getting a new one.

PS3 is like Fiat, they are great unless they make you go to the service center.

I myself have owned many Sony gadgets, a headphone for 2 years, tv for 18 years, speaker system for 18 years and 3 ps3's in 4 years along with numerous phones :p

Trust me on this, the build quality has really fallen to a new level now.

@gurjinderji: ps3 shooting kaash kar sakta :|
  2. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

I HATE Sony, not only for the lack of innovation but also for unjustified premium pricing for a brand that has lost it's value per se.

And not to mention the atrocious service quality and pricing. There is a very famous incident, which TBHP members might remember. A certain Dr. (who happens to be a serial ICE upgrader too) had bought a Sony LCD when it was first launched in India, at a whopping Rs 1.25 lac. As it ALWAYS (weirdly) happens with Sony products, the power supply of the TV conked off EXACTLY one day after the warranty expired. And Sony being what they are, asked for Rs 75k to replace the same.

I couldn't read the rest of his story because I fell off my chair laughing. But I believe he exchanged the Sony LCD (at a measly sum) for a new Samsung LCD at Vijay Sales.
  3. royj

royj Esperto

I have been wary of Sony products because of the premium they charged. Still seven years ago I bought a Sony DSC-R1 for close to 50K.
    It was a great product and had 3 years warranty. However towards the end of 2009, a few months after the warranty expired the camera stopped working. Took it to the Sony Authorised Service Center just one km away from my house.
    Their response - Sir, Sony has discontinued production and support of this model. Since your camera is out of warranty period we are unable to help. :mad:
    About an year later I got myself a Nikon D5000.
    That was the first and the last Sony product I will ever buy.
  4. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    I too stopped buying Sony products quite a few years ago. INMHO, Sony charges quite a premium for its name tag on the products. It was all very good in the good old days when not so many manufacturers were present in India, but now I can find better products at lesser price from other competing manufacturers.
  5. Royj,

I doubt any company would support product after seven years,that too things like camera where every year there is new model coming out.

6. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    Well, some of the comments I agree with but some of them are biased. Sony is one of the few companies which thrives for innovation, new technology and original ideas. There R&D in electronics probably unmatched in the industry. Almost every product has its own sony flavor, be it in design, operation or anything else. They are still not Korean copy cats so far.

However, the service and quality have gone down significantly specially in India. We do hear horror stories with every companies around the world and lets not judge a company based on some incidents. There are million of happy Sony customers. If we see the electronics market now, overall the longevity of any product has gone down. I remember our First Sony CTV(1984) served us 17 years until 1st problem, and served another 8 years after fixing it. Where as, our second Sony CTV (2006) went to service station after mere 4years and now its still running.

Their marketing strategy is also not great worldwide. For example, everyone went hu-ha about Galaxy SIII or iphone 5 but how many actually knew about Sony Xperia Z which is the best smartphone till date in the world. They charge a premium and I know little bit about why they do it by working in Sony for sometime in past. I feel its worth it that a customer pays for its products.
    2 people like this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    True. But, all this were true during 1980s. Where is innovation now?

Never heard about this before. Can you provide more data on this please? or any source?
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Sat, please read my post once again. I went for support back in 2009. That was a little over 3 years from date of purchase and a couple of months after the expiry of warranty period.
  9. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India

Your not hearing this just a testimony of the fact that they are very poor at marketing. You can simply google it for data or gsmarena. Xperia Z will launch next quarter if everything goes as planned.

About innovation, there could be lots of example in tech world and I am no expert in all R&D they are doing. I am yet to come across a product from them which is badly designed. There could be S/W glitches but not a design disaster. But, if you are inquisitive about the patent news, there where could be lots news to follow. Just for an example they have some of the best patents in NFC which is one of the advance feature that high end smart phones that are coming up. They launched the slimmest tablet in the world. there are many many more..
  10. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

The only place Sony looks at for consumer complaints is Facebook. A colleague of mine bought a rather expensive HDTV in Mumbai only to see it conk off in a few months. His problem was only addressed after he made a loud noise on their FB page. Personally, I never buy Sony as I don't see how the premium is justified. The only Sony product I have ever owned is a Compact Digital Camera back in 2006 that has since been retired.
    1 person likes this.