1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

something hanging loose on my Engine bay

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Narayan, May 7, 2014.

1. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    I did my 75k car service yesterday and got my car back after quite a hefty bill ! (didn't expect such a high bill). Will post the details of the 75k service in another thread.

I had to replace the oil sump since SA advised that it is hit from the bottom and is bent a little bit.

After I got my vehicle, and I was inspecting inside the engine bay today, I found 2 cylinder kind of connections going out to the front left wheel, but only one of them had been properly fastened, but the other one was hanging loose. Please refer the picture below:

WP_20140507_008.jpg

1. What are these for? (more for my know how and knowledge)
    2. Is it fine to leave this as is. I sent the same picture to the SA, and he said that this is how it will be and I can just leave it !!!

Need your comments and if someone can check their Puntos and confirm, I would be relieved!

thanks
    Narayan
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Its the gear selector cable if it would be hanging loose you would not have been able to shift gears
    1 person likes this.
  3. rags

rags Timido

Pune
    You are absolutely right Vijay, thats the gear select cable. Narayan check this tech exploded view here.

GearSelect.jpg

FIAT ePER
  4. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    Thanks ! this is great information.

But, im able to drive and shift gears. in fact, I had gone for a 125 kms drive after service. But there is a possibility of the service center messing up something in this area since they had changed the transmission oil, and during the process, they might have missed fitting some of these cables.

There are 2 cables, and one of them is hooked up correctly, could that be the reason?
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Narayan

That's a default fitment. Fitment of one cable is little bit loose and movable in all direction like a ball joint.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    These are technically called Bowden cables that where originally invented for bicycles.

In our case, these are also called as shifter cables, or gear shifter cables.

They have been used the same way in Palios and Siena as well. Many a time these cables (settings) are the fault for not being able to shift in the proper gears in precise manner.
  7. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    is there a possibility that this would cause a dip in my mileage figures. For some reason I feel my car's mileage is reduced by atleast 2 kms/ltr after service. Didn't get time to take it to the workshop today, will attempt to get it reviewed tomorrow, and I will get a chance to observe a few other puntos as well.

thx
    Narayan
  8. Mr.Boss

Mr.Boss Amatore

Definitely not. Shift cables will have zero effect on FE figures.