1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Some system for creating a welcome message in our cars

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by PaddleShifter, Oct 15, 2010.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Has anyone seen the movie "Independence Day(1996)"? Starring Will Smith.
    In that movie, Smith uses an alien spacecraft captured by US and kept in Area-51 to reach the alien mothership.
    When he opens the console of the ship, the AI greets him saying "Good Morning..."

This makes me wonder if Microsoft could have included a feature in Blue&Me in which the car says "Good Morning" or "Good Evening" or "Good Afternoon" when the car is started depending upon the time settings of the car. Would incorporating this feature be costly? Just asking out of curiosity. :)

Any comments.
  2. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Thread for chat/discussions/comments/anything off-topic

hoh !!.I cant believe Microsoft followed such cheap cost cutting techniques. :lol: (Will they sue me for this?)
    And how about a customizable reminder for lunch, tea, dinner and even a short break when we are on a long drive. Definitely technology is make life easier but we are becoming lazier, so at no point of time is technology good enough to satisfy our needs.
  3. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

:lol: That will surely make it a dream car.
    Anyways! Hey I wasn't complaining on cost cutting Mr. Pran! :)
    Just wanted an opinion if this is possible and that too at a cheap price for car manufacturers to incorporate this feature in those cars that have the ability to communicate because of Microsoft Blue&Me or comparable hardware.

This feature would surely look cool and very interesting. Somethings are useless and non-functional but they do add pleasure in everyday driving. :car
  4. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

@PaddleShifter : I am switching on my logical processor now. I have not experienced the B&M, so let me have a wild guess here.

1. Driver opens the car and sits on the seat.
    2. Pressure sensor senses the presence of a person on the seat. (Cost of sensor 2k?). This can be avoided but it will not look cool if you have switched on your player loud and your mobile is somewhere around and you are cleaning your car. No need of greetings in this case.
    3. The sensor may be on the CAN or may be some direct wiring to the HU. (100-200k?)
    4. The current time is already available in the HU so can read it directly
    5. Put a piece of code
    if person present
    read current time
    if current time is morning
    say Good Morning //say is already done since we hear music
    if current time is afternoon
    say Good afternoon
    if current time is evening
    say Good afternoon
    :firey oh!..my head is already overloaded and on fire. let me cool it down for the time being. :cool
  5. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Thats a bit confusing.
    But, I will surely try to come up with something similar. I've a spare sensor with me which is perfect for this experiment. Only thing is that it will be placed in the drivers foot well.
  6. Re: Thread for chat/discussions/comments/anything off-topic

@Pran .. nice now lets cut some more costs from your idea ::D .. Why to say good morning when driver seats on the sit we'll do it when he puts his key into ignition and turns it on..MID comes up B&Me reads time and says appropriate greeting.No pressure sensor required no extra wiring .. Just a little change in code :dancing
  7. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

That was the original idea from where this discussion had started few posts above. :)
    You can even clean your car's interiors while sitting in the car. She will greet only when you plan to really drive and "turn her on". :lol:

P.S.- Any engineer over here who can help me? I want to know if it is possible to create a small device that can read a pre-recorded message when we send signal via a button/sensor?
  8. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam

The process can start after the key is inserted. No need for sensors in the seat. As soon as key is inserted and immobilization code matches, a short and crisp "welcome" announced by B&M should do the trick. This can be followed by a ticker tape display on MID regarding day/date/time/OAT and DTE.
  9. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

My thought:

A sensor can be placed in the driver footwell that can be pressed to complete the circuit and the device can play a pre-recorded message via a small speaker under the driver seat.

Is this possible as a DIY at home? :confused

Circuit.jpg
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

This reminds me of a regular forward which mentioned about millions spend by US to invent a pen which works on moon in 0 gravity and Russians simply used the old school pencil. Some talked about sensors and PaddleShifter came out with the simplest ideas.Hats-off !! :clapping