1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Some people never learn: My Linea MJD Dynamic

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by Aceman82, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Aceman82

Aceman82 Timido

next ntibedm
    My previous car had been the Indica which was 8 years old and had run for close to One lakh Kms which you all know is a depreciation disaster . When I wanted to change my car my priorities was that it should be sensible buy with good resale value, decent rear seat and excellent ASS (after Tata experience). With these priorities in mind , finally I have booked Linea MJD model :lol. To understand what made me go for another Deprecation disaster with even poor ASS, please do keep reading.

Anyway the basic idea was to replace the Indica, it had become too old. If you keep the steering straight the Vehicle will go in any direction except going straight, originally only other car owners used to overtake me which over the years moved to Autos, Two wheelers, Bicycles and now even pedestrians, the smoke generated is enough to keep local wildlife but on the bright side if the local pest-control van is absent one can always use my car :evilsmile and basically you get the Idea.

For the new car the budget kept was less than 10L on-road. With that in my Mind the Hunt started for new cars. I am giving my TD experiences in no particular order, please note that this is my personal opinion only and offence meant to any owners.

Maruthi Dezire: Just look at that car. What where the designer was thinking when detailing for this car. It looked like someone hired a welder and welded the boot (if you can call it that) together but the saying goes that "Never Judge a Book by its cover" but in my opinion the cover (i.e. Sheet metal) was like a Trace paper, was never able to get a good driving position for my leg , Space inside was tiny, engine response was okay but very little space and was basically a Okay car with no 'wow' moments. Everything felt cheap and cost cutting was evident. I understand why it will appeal to majority of Indian public but is not okay is price which is around 8.75 L OTR chennai and why people buy this at close to 9L ?.

At maybe 7.5L this would be a reasonably good buy but not a 8.75L.

Tata Manza: No Tata and it is 'Tata' to Tata.

Honda Amaze: Just one look and I felt a nauseating feeling, sitting inside felt a claustrophobic feeling, suffocated when three people tired to sit in back seat and fainted when Honda wanted close to 8.5L for this. Did not bother with a TD. If Honda had plonked this Diesel Engine in the Honda City then it would have been worth a look.

Hyundai Verna: It was very costly but the NVH was terrific, had lot of gizmos but once i took it to a open road and turn at 80 it felt like turning a Ship through a hurricane. How could Huyndai make such a good looking car but mess up the suspension, brakes and steering. It felt so lifeless since my Indica had better response. Anyways it was outside the 10L band and hence rejected.

Volkswagen twins: The Vento and Rapid was next and these did exceed the Budget by close to 2L but you live only once so what the heck. Took a TD and the car's felt much more solid than the Verna and the Engine was a Nuclear Bomb exploding, the cars felt well built and plastics quality was good.

The issues was that rear seat for three passengers was very less and only one Skoda dealer and probably one or two Volkswagen dealers whose names I have never heard. Started reading about Ownership threads where the points of no free service, every service costing something like Rs:10000-Rs:15000, parts availability not like Maruthi or Hyundai, weird tyre size (185R15) and very,very expensive spares. This could turn out to be white elephant.

Anyways shortlisted the Vento and was looking for other better offers and see what to do.

Toyota Etios: Felt like driving a olden day Fiat , wait actually Fiat and Premium padmini had better interiors and more features. Anyway the car felt like a long motorcycle in both the NVH, Interiors, Handing and Braking and Toyota wanted close to 9L for this. This an example of cost cutting to the extreme. Maybe they could have spent another Rs:50,000 and made the whole thing more luxurious.

Nissan Sunny: Then went to the "Caaarrrr" and the "Caaarrrr" felt very boring and very similar to the Eitios. Nothing to write home about but still comes to some to 9L.

Ford Ecosport: Leaving the steering it a wonderful car but would you want to pay close to 11L for rear space smaller than a Figo ?

Answer was Maybe.

Tata Safari: I know it exceed the 10L budget but so did the VW twins. Well Safari was a childhood favourite and hence checked the Storme Lx. Well it turned out to be disappointment in terms of ergonomics for the driver. My Leg kept hitting the steering, cramped footwell and not so comfortable front seats with no front facing last row seats. Well it is ruled out.

So the contenders were the Vento and the Ecosport till a twist in the tale occurred.

Fiat came up with the 1 lakh offer and I thought why not to check the Linea since the new Ramkay showroom was near by. If the sales experience or the car was not good, I can always go back to my original shortlist.

Fiat Linea: Well the car looks brilliant and is actually Huge from the outside by not so huge when inside. Sitting in the drivers chair with the small but precise steering gives you a wonderful feeling, the engine (MJD) was good, excellent NVH, brilliant handling, very sharp bakes, thick doors, excellent build quality, Blue&Me was a bonus, Rear Seat was not bad and was like sitting in a Sofa but leg space is less and basically felt much more costly than what it is being sold.

More so after the 1L discount+ other discounts made car OTR (insurance from outside) around 9.6L which at-best +-50K from all the Dezires/SX4/Eitos/Sunny...etc and lot lesser than the Ecoport and Vento.

No car impressed me like the Linea.

Also the Dealer (Ramkay) was very good and gave me a better than others offer for my Indica and hence some more saving there. The car does come with 5 Year warranty and Fiat seems to be making some effort towards ASS and hence it is not not as bleak as expected but it is still a gamble which I hope pays off.

PDI: With the Team-Fiat check-list in Hand, i did a through PDI including the VIN number, H symbol, does the tyres have the small spike marks, engine leakage, AC, Music system, Alignment...etc and was satisfied. Expecting the Car to be registered next week.

Car before doing the PDI:
    20130831_144144.jpg

If there are any queries, please do let me know.
    10 people like this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Congratulations :)

Welcome to the FIAT Family.
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Congrats for Linea.
    Keep posting your views & pix of line :)
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Congrats and welcome aboard.
  5. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Another brave soul.
    Nice write up, very interesting.
    Congratulations, wish you lakhs of happy miles in your new lovely car.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Congratulations Aceman82 on booking the Linea MJD.

Mind sharing what variant did you book? Whats the OTR cost? Waiting for a detailed ownership review with lots of pics.
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Congrats on the Linea. Enjoy many more happy miles with the Linea.
  8. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Aceman, Congrats for your linea. Liked your caption "Some people never learn". Hope Fiat listen this and act properly by undersanding our pulse.
  9. Aceman82

Aceman82 Timido

next ntibedm
    Thank you everyone.

Thanks, I booked the Dynamic Variant. The OTR is around 9.7L after all discounts. Will post a detailed ownership report as soon as I receive the car.

Thanks, I really found the Sales experience pretty good and I would rate Fiat Sales experience just below Toyota out of all Cars I had went for a TD and Linea was the most VFM in the Sedan offerings.

Is Fiat actually turning a new leaf or is just this one dealer (Rankay) very good ? Only time time will tell.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  10. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice write up :up wishing you many happy miles with your Linea