1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Some facts about performance tuning

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by drifter, Dec 21, 2010.

1. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Re: Re: Re: Some facts about performance tuning

Just check the improvement on the dyno with AIR fitted on ratans 1.2 punto... Thread i put few posts above.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  2. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Re: Re: Some facts about performance tuning

The swift 1.3 is underdevelopment and we are sure that the kit will make lot of difference. Since we have currently not tested the AIR kit on any cars in India, we will not be able to comment on the same. But expect the improvement in the range of 5% to 7% increase in BHP atleast and improvement in the torque too.

Also as pointed out by Fastlove - in Ratan's 1.2 only with AIR the car gave an improvement of upto 10 bhp at wheels. Hope this will help.
  3. arjun

arjun

hyd
    why is the 90 hp punto with the vgt under its hood is still tuned for only 209nm whereas a fgt churns out a decent 197nm.if its because of the linea specs,couldn they have got something more out of it?
  4. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    This has got qite a few reasons. To start with torque and bhp are related. The torque graph in lb ft and the power grapfh in bhp have to cross at 5252rpm. If the peak power is higher than the torque is higher at the power.

Don't get hooked on the torque figures and neither on the bhp figures. What counts is the spread of torque

For arguments sake at us say at 4000rpm the FGT has 75bhp and the VGT 90bhp then the torque of the the 75bhp is 133.5Nm at 4000rpm and the torque for the 90bhp engine is 160Nm. Here at 4000rpm it is 20% more torque, but peak to peak it is only 6%. Of course the peak power is not at an identical rpm on both engines, but I hope you get the drift.

The VGT can hold the torque much longer, which means that the acceleration is more linear throughout the rpm range then the one of the FGT.

Another important point is that the re-map is set to the smoothest acceleration cycle. A lot of people would complain if the acceleration is setting in much sharper than the factory set up. this does no apply to the performance oriented driver who wants to see some more aggressive behaviour when accelerating.

Fuel quality and insurance requirements as well as tax regulations in different countries disctate their part on the setting too.

Also what you must not forget is that the airbox remains the same, which does not help the turbo as much as a free flowing intake, which would affect the VGT more in the wanted way then the FGT.
  5. arjun

arjun

hyd
    thanks drifter for the clarification.i am now pretty sure that you will be the man for my puntos remap.
  6. arjun

arjun

hyd
    Punto and Linea get a different gearbox in India(If you have been wondering why Indian 75hp is slower than European 75).got this from another forum.how true is the info?
  7. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    The amount of gearboxes in rthe different Fiat models is unreal. Don't know why they do it, but it is good for racing. This way you can chose.
  8. hi peter,
    i wanted a tuning box for my linea 1.3 mjd. but looking at this discussion i want to go for ecu remapping. My questions are.

1. I live in chandigarh.. will it be possible there?
    2. What ll be the total cost involved?
    3. Will it not void my warranty?

Waiting for ur reply soon
  9. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    We are planning to go to different parts of India in the near future and will be able to re-map the car.

We charge 22,000 for it and als might be able to provide an AIR in the very near future.

Strictly speaking it will void the warranty, but then it has to be detected, which can't be done with the examiner.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Drifter , what are your views on remapping without a dyno.

Are you working on a one-size-fits-all remaps for the Lineas and the Puntos?

Gurjinder.