1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Some facts about performance tuning

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by drifter, Dec 21, 2010.

1. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    This is rather difficult to answer. It varies from less to more than half the engine capacity per revolution in the 1.4 FIRE (normally aspirated) depending on speed, load and modification. It will be decreasing with increasing rpm.

On the 1.3 MJD it is from less than half the engine capacity to well over the engine capacity depending on the boost.
  2. arjun

arjun

hyd
    hey drifter
    any plans of making it to hyderabad?
  3. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Oh yes. Just have to fix the dates.
  4. arjun

arjun

hyd
    i got a punto 1.3 75ps.at first i thought it would be better to just plonk in a tuning box and enjoy the power,but after going through the extensive information u have provided about how well the remap works,i would love to remap it for additional power.got a question though.

1)how much increase in power can we attain with the remap without affecting the reliability factor like the one in the stock setup?

thanks
  5. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    The engine block itself can take a lot of power. The engine does come in various configurations and is the same in all variants. The only thigs that are different is the turbos. The 1.3 N-Jet is from factory available from 70 to 105bhp. The latter one is in the ancia Musa. Fiat has got a sequential turbo set up on the shelf that gives 120bhp output. The engine is tunes by a number of European tuners to 160bhp.

You will be fine on the engine side. The turbo is the limiting factor as is the ECU variant. We will limit power output in order to prevent excessive smoking, which eventually would destroy the turbo. To go further than the power limit (excessive smoking) it is necessary to add a AIR.
  6. what is AIR and how does it help?
  7. arjun

arjun

hyd
    feels reassuring when its coming from a experienced mapper.thanks peter

so considering we don't increase the turbo and the same ecu how much of power can we extract from the 1.3 multijet.my primary requirements being daily city driving and occasional highway trips where i would like to cruise at speeds of 140 upwards without a fuss.
  8. arjun

arjun

hyd
    feels reassuring when its coming from a experienced mapper.thanks peter

so considering we don't increase the turbo and the same ecu how much of power can we extract from the 1.3 multijet.my primary requirements being daily city driving and occasional highway trips where i would like to cruise at speeds of 140 upwards without breaking into a sweat
  9. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    AIR stands for Air Intake Revision and is a trade mark of GSR.

Obviously the turbo has to spool up to do its work. The turbine has to push and pull air at the same time. Most of the factory air intakes are designed like normally aspirated air intakes. This is for noise reduction. But it has got a draw back. The air going through the intake pipes before the turbine is subject to turbulences and volumetric restrictions. This means that the turbine creates before a lower pressure zone making the turbine working for less mass than when no restrictions are before.turbine. A properly designed AIR will be free flowing giving some more air without straining the turbo. This means that more air gets into the combustion chamber and more fuel can be utilised. This in turn lifts the smoking threshold. Also it increases the efficiency of the engine. This also means that a re-map with an AIR is different to a re-map without the AIR.
  10. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    On the 75 we can work on about 15bhp with good torque improvement without AIR and a bit over 20ghp with AIR. With some of the later engines it might be a bit more.

On the 90bhp engine we should be able to expect about 120bhp with AIR and re-map.

It depends also on the fuel quality.