1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

[SOLVED] Unable to engage any gear. WHat can be the issue?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by nitinkumardba, Aug 27, 2012.

1. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Hi,

I parked my car perfectly fine yesterday evening but today gears denied to engage, completly. Clutch padel has become very light and padel is not down. Braking system is working normally.

There is no problem to engage any gear if engine is not started.

Any idea guys, what could be the problem. Is it CSC issue. I remember, mine CSC was changed long back. Pls suggets.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  2. Could be due to a clutch burnout. Take help from Af.S.S to be certain.
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is it was clutch burnout, he could have got the clues long back with sluggish performance and burnt smell . this seem to be hydraulics leakage somewhere down the line , master cylinder or slave cylinder should have gone kaput !!
  4. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Forgot to mention that my car is approaching 36000 now. I never felt any burning smell in my car. Also, there was no drop in pickup and FE.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Does the gear not slot in or does the gear slot in but the car does not move on releasing the clutch.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I guess that the gears stick is not moving/slotting because Nitin has mentioned that he is able to slot into gears when the engine is off. That suggests that the gears are not engaging at all.
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    In that case, sounds like one of the clutch slave cylinders has seized up/broken/faulty and is not pulling the pressure plate off the flywheel. With the engine off, no power is transmitted to the gearbox, so shifting action is not hindered.

To Nitin, it must feel like trying to engage gear without pressing the clutch pedal with the engine running (imagine in a normal car). There will be a lot of gear grating noise as well. Is that so Nitin bhai? :confused:
    1 person likes this.
  8. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I am said because my love is down but I can't control my laugh because you are 100% correct. Gears and not at all engaging when engine is started. Its like rubbery feeling while pushing gear lever. I can engage gear while engine is stop but if I engage reverse and start the engine, my car is going back very slowly even clutch is fully pressed.

I am planning to drive my car to Him Motors (6 kms from my home in 3rd gear as Punto can pickup in third gear). Is it risky by any chance?
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Clutch paddle too much light means air in clutch line.
    Try to pump clutch paddle for 10-20 times. If paddle becomes live then you have air in hydraulic line of clutch. Check level of clutch fluid.

Or faulty CSC as told by guru.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    I would suggest don't drive it to there, even if you can.

The mechanic from HIM can bring along a working slave cylinder, fit it on the spot and take your car to HIM for further diagnosis.

Just give Mr. Sharma a call tomorrow morning. I'm sure he'll set something up.
    1 person likes this.