1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Solution: Tail lights blinking instead of indicator bulb.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by PaddleShifter, Sep 24, 2014.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yesterday, while coming back from college the bulb failure light in my Fiat Grande Punto lit up and the MID displayed "Check stop light, Check RHS tail lights".

I reached home and had the following observations:
    - When I give indicator for right turn/side, the two tail lights on right side start blinking instead of the indicator bulb at the same rate at which indicator bulb glows.
    - When I press the brake pedal, the brake of left side lit up normally but on the right side, the indicator bulb in the tail light lit up (It wasn't blinking by the way coz brake lights do not blink).

- Googled and a Punto How To video came up on Youtube that showed a Punto having a faulty earthing due to corrosion in the tail light connector causing the issue.

It came out to be a connector issue that we were able to sort out by cleaning and manipulating the connector. I will post more details here later when the time permits.

Tail light connector.jpg

Just posted it here in a hurry for the benefit of the members.
    asimpleson, Aniket, punto11 and 3 others like this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Strange behavior.
    From picture it looks like its burnt. Was cleaning fixed the issue?
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The metal contacts (lets call it thimble?) in this white connector was cleaned using a surgical forceps (any thin metal would do). Also, the corresponding pin on the tail light assembly was shorter in size and bent. It was cleaned thoroughly using a surgical forceps and also the pin was pulled out 1-2mm very gently so that it doesn't break and then it was tilted 1-2mm such that now it makes a sure contact with the thimble inside the white connector on the wire harness side.
    asimpleson and Ravi like this.
  4. nirupan

nirupan Novizio

Pune
    I am facing same problem and tried same procedure of cleaning as mentioned in to above post but still it is not resolve. I feel connector need to replace.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk