1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Solution for worn out ICE HU buttons

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by vaibhavc, Dec 30, 2014.

1. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Goa
    Hi everyone,
    I wanted to know if there is any ways of over-coming the problem of worn out buttons of the head unit. I have a December 2012 Linea which is driven 60,000 Kms. The car has given superb service so far. I have driven the car on all sorts of roads including some off roading as well. Though i am not a great fan of the interiors of the car i am especially disappointed about the soft buttons on the ICE head unit. I have OEM blaupunkt head unit in my car. The buttons started signs of wearing off in the first year itself and now they look very ugly to say the least.
    Is there any other option other than replacing the head unit itself?
    If changing the head unit is the only soultion then kindly suggest me a decent head unit. The only requirement i have is that the unit should gel with the dash board. Since the dashboard lights are orange coloured, a head unit with orange lights would be an ideal choice.
    I am posting a picture of the head unit with the worn out buttons circled. player.JPG
  2. RajeshLamba

RajeshLamba Novizio

Bhubaneshwar
    Linea 1.4
    hi vaibhav.....u may try silver or black or grey paper which sticks on any surface...its water proof also....used by the people who make car number plates....good option.
  3. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Goa
    Hi Rajesh,
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I was off for a small tour. Anyways i will consider your suggestion though replacing the head unit is also an option i am open to. The only problem with those stickers is it won't match with the surrounding colour. I mean to get an exact match of the colour is difficult i think.
  4. RajeshLamba

RajeshLamba Novizio

Bhubaneshwar
    Linea 1.4
    @ vaibhav.....u r correct but if you would have noticed ...many people use those silver coloured strips on their pulsar fuel tanks...for style.....thats a kind of plasticy chart sheet with one side with glue.....i know as i have used it to hide scratch marks on my red and silver scooty pep.....it does a descent job (yes i have one at home--scooty pep :)) Changing HU will , if same HU den no point in changing it...if different then whole HU will be different !!!!!!!......
    U may get a small piece and match...if lucky.. :)
    --- Double Post Merged, May 14, 2015 ---
    Oh sorry....i saw ur HUs buttons are black. or grey...that may be even easier to find...
  5. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Regolare

Pune
    Did you get the problem solved? I am facing the same problem of worn out buttons. They look pathetic b768118cb7ffc7c248c8ab43a228f953.jpg
    I have got a spare audio system of a friends Linea, dunno if I can just replace the buttons. Any more suggestions would be welcome!
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Why not just swap the whole head-unit assuming you have the code and the head-unit is working? And since no blue and me or steering control is involved maybe an ICE upgrade is better ;)
  7. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Regolare

Pune
    Its a golden coloured unit. Don't have the codes with me nor my friend.