1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Solo trip to chennai

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sathishgv, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    i thought it is not safe driving via kharagpur. arnab,total how much time it will to goa from munger?
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    A friend who traveled recently quoted that the route from balasore to kharagpur is under reconstruction. Also, he mentioned about too many cracks on the highway.

If arnab had traveled recently in that route (NH 60) then he may be able to throw some light on that.

- - - Merged Post - - -

There is nothing concern for safety I just mentioned that because if the road is not good then it would eat a considerable amount of both your time and energy.
  3. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    arnab who had recently been to kolkata recently has advised not to take that route.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    So, after a long time i am trying to write something about my trip. Basically, i wanted to do the trip, as i had earlier said that it was the right opportunity at the right time and wanted to utilize that time to test my car's mileage. Originally i planned to do the trip along with a friend and his family. All the decisions were taken without any plan, instantaneously (all my plan for trip always fails..........;)). So we decided on the date that we will be leaving on 03.08.2013 after lunch. But two days earlier my friend told me that he was held up with some job and so could not accompany me. At that time i thought that even my unplanned trip fails. Lot of things were running in my mind and as always my better half is anytime against me driving on a long journey without her (May be she must be thinking that nothing will happen to me when she is with me).

Also, friends and office colleagues advised that the timing is not correct as the anti-telangana agitation was picking up pace. Also, i was skeptical about the fact that i have to drive alone for a such a long distance and i have never done it before. So, i was little low on confidence. I was determined to do the trip and gathered my will and decided that i will do this trip what may come. These were really hard times when something goes in your mind like this.

Finally i announced it here so that i made sure that i will not back off later. In fact i did not tell my wife that i am going to travel alone and i told her that i will be travelling by bus as i could not book train ticket. My friend who recently did a trip to kanyakumari in his ertiga advised me to leave early so that i can skip the evening traffic in and out of bhubaneshwar. Therefore, i started at 14:00 hrs on 03.08.2013. Before that day i called the service center in cuttack to enqurie about the wheel liner which was pending to be replaced for a long time and for my surprise they said that the part is available and could be fitted. So, my plan was to stop at cuttack quickly get the liner replaced and by 06:00 pm i should cross bhubaneshwar. On my way to bhubaneshwar one of my close friend told me that he too would join me till vizag as his wife got labor pains. So, i had to wait for him in bhubaneshwar and to save time i orderd dinner for him and had mine too.

He reached bhuhaneshwar @ 08:15 pm and immediately we left bhubaneshwar and the traffic was not too much as we were able to cross bhubanshwar by 09:00 p.m. At this point i told my wife that i am coming with my friend and explained the situation that he has to reach vizag as soon as possible. Since she is a mutual friend to my friends wife she could not resist though she was half hearted.

take a break guys as its going to be a long and boring journey................:cool:
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Multiple thoughts went through my mind, with each sentence of your post. If I post all of that, it would get longer than your travelogue, so restrained myself. However, this, I just could not ignore. Actually, this is my wife's comment - we read the forum together :D - "She does not think that nothing will happen to you, if she is with you. She thinks, should something happen to you, she will be there to help or it will happen to her too." :D

There is no such thing as a boring journey, and it is never long enough either. Sorry to break your flow. Please continue.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Bro, the highlighted words must be your wife's explanation, if i am correct because my wife said the same thing too. I was mentioning about the writing not the journey i undertook.

Remember, i was mentioning about some surprise. This is that

IMG_20130803_162701.jpg

IMG_20130803_162715.jpg

IMG_20130803_162729.jpg

IMG_20130803_162746.jpg

IMG_20130803_162800.jpg

Yeah its a BMW mini cooperS. This i took while i was in the service center. There is a BMW service center just behind the TATA motor service center.

SO, lets start the journey. After changing to lighter outfits we started from outskirts of bhubaneshwar. My friend offered to drive as i have to drive longer ahead. I did not take rest (could not, infact) as i was not confident of him driving in night. Since we are close friends, we were talking about our childhood days, you know that manly talks :D, like the talks that often old people indulge in by starting with " in 1947...." (no offence to anybody.....), a soldier who often ends up telling something about war etc. In the mid way it started raining heavily and we saw people undertaking yatra (devotees of shiva who go on foot in the month of sravan) and were discussing about them too. I think i have to start another thread in this forum to discuss about these practices. Then after crossing brahmapur, I told him that i will drive as i can't sleep while he is driving in night and that helped him too as after that he started receiving phone calls (remember his wife was in hospital in labour ward). So we crossed ichhapuram checkpost and entered AP. Stopped at some dhaba to enquire for tea but ended up buying pepsi and continued our journey. After that we got the news that my friend was blessed with a baby girl. Till that time he was a little tensed and after hearing that news he was happy and relieved (as every father........) and later he went to sleep. I reached BP petrol pump at kannevalasa where there is also a Naidu Dhaba. I did not feel sleepy but thought it will be useful to take some rest. We rested there for about half-an-hour and started again.

We reached vishakapatnam @ 03:30 a.m and my friend insisted to take rest and go afterwards. Since i was not tired and sleepy i said that i will continue. After dropping him i started the journey alone. Driving alone is fun as apposed to my earlier thoughts, i realized then. That lonesomeness was something different from being alone in your home or some place. I was enjoying the music (melodies of A.R.Rahman) in fact was singing loud as i was not afraid of anybody and nobody was there to complain too :p. At around 06:00 a.m i felt that i need some rest. So pulled over a dhaba, i don't know the name of the place but its between tuni and annavaram in AP and rajahmundry was around 92 kms from there. I thought i will have some tea break and continue upto to rajhamundry and rest there after breakfast. But nothing was available there as they were just starting their morning chores. So i decided to break there itself and had some sleep in the car itself. I woke up 2 hrs later at 8:00 a.m and saw that breakfast was ready. Got freshened up and had my breakfast and continued driving. Since i was doing mileage test i limited myself to a max of 100 kmph and i felt sad whenever some guy overtake me. That was very frustrating initially but later it gave me pleasure to give side to somebody. I reached Eluru @12:30 p.m where i filled my tank in another BP which was in the city and beside Highway 5. Earlier my friend (ertiga one) had advised me to take a route that bypassed vijayawada city through autonagar. So I took that route and could bypass most of vijayawada traffic. I was thinking of having lunch in BP Ghar which i remembered after vijayawada but the exact distance was not know and he also told that the food was good. So, i did not stop at vijayawada for lunch and continued hoping that the BP ghar will come soon. But hunger took over my wish and after crossing bollipalli-simhapuri toll stopped at a dhaba and had lunch. I was so hungry that i ordered full meals and the food was good. After having heavy lunch i was searching for a nice place to sleep. So diverted myself from NH-5 into a side road found some shade under trees and started my sleep tour. Though i was travelling without AC during rest period i had to switch on AC as i was infact afraid to sleep with the doors kept open in an unknown place. I switched on the AC locked my self in and had rest for almost 2 hrs.

Again stopping here to give some rest to you readers too..............:cool:
    1 person likes this.
  7. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Again i started my journey @ 17:30 hrs. At this point of time i felt a little exhausted and the enthusiasm was down. So drove searching of the BP Ghar which i never found. I reached nellore @ 20:30. Got relieved of my self in a BP petrol pump which was around 20 kms from the nellore toll plaza. At this time i was having a little head ache so decided to rest further and got to the back seat to sleep flat with AC on and locked myself in.

In the middle i woke up and switched off the AC and again slept but forgot to keep ventilation. Suddenly i woke up as i was feeling discomfort and my head ache increased coupled with hunger. Then i realised that i did not keep sufficient ventilation after i switched off the AC. Left the petrol pump @ 00:00 hrs and started searching for some dhaba. I was not sure whether i will find one or not as it was midnight. Luckily i saw a road side dhaba on the opposite side. Pulled over and went to fill my stomach. Had south indian paratha, which we call as "barotta" and a cup of tea. Still i had head ache but decided to drive as far as possible. I reached bhudanam toll @ 01:00 a.m and felt that i must pull over for my safety and also for other's. So stopped in front of an HP petrol pump and this time did not turn on the AC but kept my glass of all the four doors a little open and went to sleep. As the weather was cloudy i did not feel uncomfortable and immediately went to sleep.

I woke up @ 03:00 hrs felt fresh and started to drive. Crossed TADA @ 04:45 a.m stopped there to have some coffee to completely wake up :). Started raining here and there and thereby crossed tambaram @ 05:30. Again stopped there to have some refreshment and started to dive @ 05:45 hrs. Stopped after vikravandi toll and had a very good breakfast in sangeetha's restaurant. Again started @ 07:30 hrs and reached vaitheeswaran koil @ 10:00 hrs. This time punto was hungry and need to fill its stomach :p. Filled the tank in another BP and started to drive towards my destination which was only another 60 kms and finally reached thiruvaraur @ 11:30 hrs.

Total distance from Eluru
    IMG_20130805_101233.jpg
    Average consumption of 20.9 kmpl (driving without AC and Idling during rest with AC)
    IMG_20130805_101306.jpg
    distance on trip B (cant remember when i reset the trip)
    IMG_20130805_101331.jpg
    Average consumption of 20.8 kmpl (driving without AC and Idling during rest with AC)
    IMG_20130805_101340.jpg
    average speed trip A
    IMG_20130805_101354.jpg
    Average speed trip B
    IMG_20130805_101410.jpg

But calculating the mileage from full tank to full tank during the tirp (as can be seen from the trip sheet) i got 21 kmpl during the first fill i.e, from bhubaneshwar to eluru (distance 817 kms) and 19 kmpl during the second fill i.e, from eluru to vaitheeswaran koil (distance 768 kms). If you are wondering why i lost 2 kmpl during the second fill it is because after vikravandi the route is not an NH and i had to drive through SH and the 'kumbakonam' route is narrow and has many bends (those who have travelled in that route can understand)

The rest of the trip sheet.

Capture.PNG
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    In the evening the same day i.e, 05.08.2013, we decided to leave for rameswaram, which is around 300 kms from thiruvarur. We left thiruvarur @ 08:45 p.m. The route was Thiruvarur-mannargudi-pattukotai-aranthangi-karaikudi-devakotia-Thiruvadanai-devipattinam-ramanathapuram-rameswaram.

Reached rameshwaram @ 03:45 hrs. Since it was night time the road was empty and at times we faced difficulty in finding the right direction. But since it was Ramzan time there were prayers going on and people were there at big towns.

Left to danushkodi @ 12:00 noon on 06.08.2013. Enjoyed the place but felt sorry for the people living there as they dont have access to basic drinking water, medical services etc. Left to the place were indian ocean meets bay of bengal. What a contrast between the two oceans, indian ocean was rough with waves and bay of bengal was silent without waves.

Left to rameswaram @ 17:45 hrs had dinner and left to thiruvarur @ 19:30 hrs. The return route was different. We took the east cost road i.e, rameswaram-ramanathapuram-devipattinam-thondi-mimisal-manamelkudi-mudachikadu-pattukotai-mannargudi-thiruvarur. The east coast road was very good when compared the route i took during the up trip. We covered the entire route of 251 kms in 5 hrs and reached thiruvarur @ 12:30 hrs.
  9. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Hi Sathish, Congrats for your trip.
  10. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thank You suman