1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nkrishnap, Sep 15, 2013.

1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    A week with excessive work pressure can only give weird ideas for a stress buster. What I did was to go on a drive to the Malnad region. This time it had to be solo drive, currently no rides permitted. :(

I started pestering my wife about my thoughts about the solo drive, but she was not willing to let me travel alone. But after multiple attempts, the Green signal obtained. I was keen to visit Unchalli falls and Jog falls which has become more of a routine every monsoon for the past few years. I did not want to do an overnight stay and more so since, I had a couple of things to be done on Sunday. The agenda was set. Visit Unchalli and Jog in a day.

The alarm was set at 2 am, was up at the first ring. With the usual chores done, I set out towards Haveri from home at 3.15 am. Fueled the car to the brim at the HPCL bunk on Bellary main road (near CBI office). Made gradual progress and the first pit stop was at KAMAT Ranebennur at 7 am for breakfast. With a light breakfast and a strong coffee I was on the move again. I somehow missed the turn towards Sirsi on the Haveri by pass which ensured, I had to travel a good 9.5 kms to and fro.

The road from Haveri to Hanumakoppa was pathetic which ensured very slow progress. Post this stretch the roads turned out to be a dream.

Inviting roads

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Lush green everywhere

4.jpg

5.jpg

Reached Unchalli at 11.15 am. Way to Unchalli falls from the parking at the Unchalli Village. The falls is about half a km from the parking lot.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Spotted this little snake. It was about 5-6 inches long and mind you quite aggressive for a little one.

8.jpg

Reached the view point and found the falls engulfed in the mist due to the heavy water flow. Waiting for the mist to clear. But it did not even after waiting for close to an hour.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Unchalli to Jog. Lovely winding roads.

13a.jpg

A brown river

13b.jpg

13c.jpg

The nice twisty roads and the Linea ensured I was grinning wide from ear to ear. Reached Jog at 2 pm. Being a weekend, there was a bit of crowd. The water levels were quite low after the rains have receded. Nevertheless a few snaps of Jog with very little water.

The view from the bridge

14a.jpg

The view of Jog with sparse water.

14.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

A rainbow to boot at the bottom of the falls.

16.jpg

Had a quick lunch at Jog itself and set off towards Bangalore Via Shimoga at 3 pm.

The paddy fields on either side near Talaguppa.

18.jpg

18a.jpg

18c.jpg

18d.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Drove a few kms past Sagar and found a nice place with proper shade to park the car for a power nap. An after effect of heavy lunch :p. Even with the windows kept open just of a couple of inches ensure the lovely breeze kept me comfortable. Close to an hour's sleep was disturbed by a blaring horn of the private bus. Now the drive continued towards Shimoga. Stopped at the IOCL bunk in Shimoga for fuel top up. The drive traffic was quite dense all the way till Tarikere. A few kms after Tarikere the road is very bad for a stretch of 2 kms post which the roads are very good. The lack of coffee was bothering quite a bit and to keep me happy CCD is now available near Arasikere. A shot of espresso coffee rejuvenated me. From here on it was a non stop drive to home. Reached home @ 10.30 pm.

A couple of videos shot between Amminalli to Heggarne and Heggarne to Siddapur will be uploaded after I get to reduce the size and upload them on youtube.

953 kms, Unchalli and Jog Falls,

Like the Safari Ad, a part of my life was reclaimed.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    24 people like this.
  2. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

Awesome travelogue :D Jog isn't worth visiting nowadays.

I happened to stop at the same spot as you near talaguppa :D

dwh7zW0.jpg
    3 people like this.
  3. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    that's nice TL Krishna. even me too wanted to go for jog. Dropped dur to same reason.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    That rainbow picture is best of the lot :)

Solo drives are a great experience always!!
    I have also done many on my punto to ooty, munnar, thirunelly, yelagiri, chennai etc and the longest one was to bihar:)

catch being that all these were done before marriage ;)

I can very well understand the feeling when you say "a part of my life was reclaimed"!!
    one has to do it to feel it!!
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    3 people like this.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    God...the journey or the destination - can't make out which one of these is more beautiful.

Thanks for sharing with us Krishna. :)
  6. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Beautiful TL Krishna. Some of Village road reminds my childhood memories in Bengal countryside.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

The journey, the destination and the Linea; all three are wonderful :up

Sent from my Lumia using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Thats some thing i should start thinking about. Was a bit reluctant to travel alone but since you mentioned very critical point, i must say i should do it ;)
  9. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Zen before getting carried away on the solo trips, it would help a lot in understanding your limitations with respect to concentration, how much you would be able to push yourself. How you can handle a situation in case of a breakdown, knowing the routes and more importantly would you enjoy driving solo is the question you need answer yourself and then start building your capabilities towards achieving it.
    3 people like this.
  10. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

bangalore
    If i would go back to friday morning when you told me about the trip i would not have told No sir. Regret not making it with you.

Beautiful roads and the fall pics are incredible !

I solely promise i shall never again turn down an invite for such drives henceforth :ugeek: