1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Solitary Exploration of Nagarahole Forests - Feb 2016 and April 2016

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nkrishnap, Mar 28, 2016.

1. krish1484

krish1484 Novizio

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    You have had a treat watching so many animals in Nagarhole NP. I loved the tiger's majestic walk:happy:.

I visited Kabini last August on my annual vacation, stayed in Orange County and didn't have any big cats sightings. However it ignited in me the urge to visit it again just for the sheer the beauty of the place. I believe summers are best time to visit but being from Chennai , is Mysore stay the only option to have night stay (No more OCs, Serai etc;)) and do 2 to 3 safaris?

I believe you visited the Damankatte Checkpost forest office directly and paid for your safaris. Is there a way to book your weekend safaris in advance so that there are no surprises upon reaching there and if you don't mind how much does each jeep safari cost ? ( Remember paying INR 1500/person to OC)
    nkrishnap likes this.
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you.

Nagarahole and Kabini never disappoints you unless you are after the striped cat or the dotted cat.

Thank you.

Traveling through the road doesn't yield much unless you are very very lucky. Get into the forest sir :)

Thank you.

Of course, some of them were quite near like the elephant one and the rest were far. This is what I could salvage from 300 mm Lens I had. Luckily the driver was patient enough to switch off the engine and patiently wait, which helped in taking decent pictures.

Camera - Canon 500D
    Lens - Canon EF 24 - 105 mm F4 and Tamron 70-300mm VC lens.

New kit added a week back. Canon 7D Mark 2 and Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 IS2 Lens.

Spotting wildlife is pure luck and being at the right place at the right time. Orange county and JLR are bloody costly. You can reach out to Aranya Bhavan and book the Forest Guest house in HD Kote and stay there. If that is not available, the next best is Mysore.

Please avoid weekend Safaris like plague. Too crowded and they do 2 short trips which is not worth it. Weekdays safaris are best. How it works is for the evening safari you need to go to Damankatte office by 10 am to book your seat. Same way afternoon the booking opens for the next morning safari slots. Cost per head is 300 bucks. Weekdays they do a good 2.5 hours to 3 hours safari which gives you sufficient time to follow alarm calls or wait at a particular spot. Gypsy Safari at Nagarahole costs 3000 bucks per trip and it can take 5-6 people. However, I managed to go alone in the Gypsy. No disturbances you see.

PS: PM me when you want to go Kabini/Nagarahole Safari next time. Lets work out something :)
    krish1484 and PradeepM like this.
  3. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    5 days for yourself and what an amazing experience.
    I never knew that you can do such magic with lens too :).
    While all the pictures are a great treat to check, some truly were extraordinary.
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with all of us.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    nkrishnap likes this.
  4. krish1484

krish1484 Novizio

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    I agree cent percent. I did 3 safaris in that trip. Just the 1st time, I had an urge to spot a cat but the other two were for the sheer feel of the biosphere in there. Absolutely calm and blissful it was!

In the 3rd safari though I missed sighting probably by a whisker as scats were super fresh while coming back from the backwater. (They were not available initially)

I like the idea of "Lets work out something :)" - I will touch base with you.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Pradeep.

My thumb rule for any safari is to have zero expectations of seeing any animals. With you will never be disappointed :). Safari also helps you learn a lot about the vegetation, how each animals adapt so on and so forth. Forests and Wildlife are an addiction, difficult to get rid of.

Anytime. It would be a pleasure to spend time with like minded folks.
    PradeepM likes this.
  6. ManoharV

ManoharV Timido

Bengaluru
    Linea T-Jet
    Nice travelogue with beautiful pics Krishna.
    Cheers.
    nkrishnap likes this.
  7. Racing_2012

Racing_2012 Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @nkrishnap, the photos are awesome, I am tempted to make a trip there.
  8. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @nkrishnap The travelogue is excellent with stunning photographs. I suggest you should take part in NGC photoshoot contest & try your luck there...;)

Well, I guess you had a fabulous time driving out in that pitch dark. I liked it, it requires a steel nerves to drive in all alone within those jungle limits at that time as there wont be any guess on surprises the nature would offer at us!! :)
    Ravi_M likes this.
  9. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Excellent Photography. Refreshing.
  10. krish1484

krish1484 Novizio

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    @ nkrishnap - My sister in law is in Kabini since yesterday noon. They had an undisturbed sighting of a solitary leopard for 25 min yesterday and today morning tiger, leopard and a cub .
    Add to it a group of wild elephants crossing their way.:p