1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

So here begins the story:Punto evo 90hp

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Aviral singh, Jan 12, 2015.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Aviral singh it is normal FE, but you could get better FE. You should test it on a long strip of highway journey where on cruising in 5th and maintaining 90-100-110 you should get 20+ of FE easily. The black deposits are normal but smoke could be because of bad fuel, wrong gearing with more over acceleration. The engine should feel stress free in every gear, over or under-accelerating will cause engine stress and some inefficient fuel burning. The FE will improve in time very soon as engine frees up. Don't worry if it does not immediately.

Make sure you stick to one fuel brand and reputed fuel bunks.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Aviral singh

Aviral singh Amatore

lucknow
    lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks for your views,but whenever I go to service center ,the guy always explains me every bit with the car is normal,I hope one of you could have been here to test whether everything is alright.but then its not possible ,the SA even said don't worry ,if anything is wrong in the car ,during 3 years of warranty,they will change the whole car ,I think he was joking,but here in Lko ,the service center guys are cooperative but they explain everything according to them only.let's see I am planning to check and rectify everything during initial checkup.after six months.
  3. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Aviral, unless anything is serious I am planning to go to the Service Center for any minor niggles during my first 5k service. I am keeping a note of the non critical minor issues.

Honestly, I hate parting with my car for even a day at the Service .
  4. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Btw, Fiat Service is more than happy to replace an entire part if they couldn't find the culprit or lazy to do so.
    I have a friend whose Punto was pulling left when braking during the first month, and Fiat Replaced the entire steering assembly under warranty. Even after the problem was there, and further investigation it turned out that the issue was only calibration issue with the front disc brakes.

So, I wouldn't be surprise if Fiat replace the entire car under warranty.
  5. Aviral singh

Aviral singh Amatore

lucknow
    lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yes now I am also thinking of going to service center after 5k km and sought out and rectify all the issues.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Aviral singh

The mileage and the black deposit thing are fine. As @asimpleson, who knows better, has said.

You need to consider your driving (revving and gear-shifting) pattern: try being conservative with both i.e., don't rev hard, keep the engine rpms in the meat of the torque band, and then see the results.

The instantaneous mileage counter on the MyCar MID will guide you, as you search for the optimal driving style, not that your mileage is at all low, given what i know about the even the 'highways' in the UP heartland where you are.

I certainly would not worry about mileage at all. Drive with fun and pleasure and control and feel, but safely, responsibly, mileage will take care of itself on the mjd!:cool::cigar:
    Aviral singh likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Aviral singh forgot to mention about lugging the engine. Please definitely read this BHP thread to understand the concept. @prabhjot your "meat of torque band" reminded me of this point. Thanks for the same.

Right gear, quick and timely shifting, just the right amount of throttle = happy engine.

And another thing, the modern ECU adapts (learns) the driving pattern and compensates they say, so even if more than one person drives the car, it will mar the FE and feel different to drive until it re-adapts.
    kgramesh likes this.
  8. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Somewhere I read about turbo charged diesel engine which meant something like this.

1) For Fuel economy:
    - Shift up around 2k RPM
    - Maintain about 1500-2000 RPM
    ** Definitely will be out of Turbo Zone.

2) For Healthy Engine:
    - Shift Up at around 3K-3.5K RPM
    - Shift Down at 1.5K RPM
    - Run the engine in the Turbo Range.
    ** Definitely will not give good FE.

So, based on the two style of driving, it seems the engine will have a healthy life if follow the 2nd Style.

Please, advice and correct me if I made wrong statement.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Sapam the above might be true for larger displacement engines, but I doubt if the same formula could be applied for all engine types. Different cylinder and displacement and injection technology and different throttle responses. MJDs, esp. the Lineas come with VGTs which provide boost earlier to haul that extra weight too and reduce the lag feel.

I have an easier way for the MJD, I would try to keep it in higher gears, like the 3rd and 4th as much as possible in city and 4th and 5th on highway. The MJD does not sound that much happy in lower gears like 1st and 2nd. Perhaps what is called the "tall gearing". That is why the MJD feels so relaxed and zooms and cruises and feels like a petrol in higher gears.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. george

george Timido

kerala
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    hi friends ,
    i got a 90hp gliterratic gold punto evo. loving each day while driving ..but only 5 months old car replaced the oil pump usb port in warrenty :( ..and my front right speaker trembles .and alsoo the part wich is under the steering is not fixed properly and the service advisor said that is a manufacturing defect that should be replaced in the next service..hoping for the best.apart from this issuess i still love myy carr :) .....iam proud to be in traffic jam and signals because i can see young eyes admiring my italian beauty :p really proud owning the punto evooooo:D
    bharath, Rama, kedarbendre and 2 others like this.