1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

So here begins the story:Punto evo 90hp

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Aviral singh, Jan 12, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Aviral singh

Hi there, again.

You must always idle the engine for say 30 seconds before starting-off and before switching off: turbo-ed engines ideally should be given this care. Especially but not only in winter: always. Am not sure why exactly, though i have an idea: @gurjinder or @asimpleson would be better able to accurately explain the matter. Otherwise, there's no issue i don't think, from what you describe.:)

cheers
    PradeepM likes this.
  2. Aviral singh

Aviral singh Amatore

lucknow
    lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes @prabhjot is right. Turbo needs that special idling to cool down. The issue of 'Turbo coking' can be googled and read about. This is more a necessity for Turbos where special (water) cooling systems are not applied. After a spirited run the Turbo needs that idling time and some people even use special "Turbo Timers" to maintain/extend the life of their turbos.

However, you can check with other MJD cars in service center and confirm your doubts of engine vibration at shut down. It is attributed to issues of "engine mount", but on newer cars like yours it must be rare thing to happen. May not be that issue at all.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Aviral singh

Aviral singh Amatore

lucknow
    lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Today I did a drive of 180 kms and then when switched off the engine ,it vibrated a little bit ,I think when I do a short drive then it vibrates more and when I did a long drive it did less vibrating ,the SA said its normal.don't know:(
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Aviral singh

I think he's right, the family Punto Active 75 hp has a slight shudder too when being turned off. You need not worry about this. Worry ONLY if you encounter strong vibrations at different rpm-s on the go, IMO.

Please idle your car for at least 20-30 seconds before turning it off, so that the turbo etc can cool down a bit: this should be standard operating procedure for any turbocharged engine, petrol or diesel. If you do, you'll find this shudder reducing, i believe, aside from the benefit of long-term turbocharger etc health.

cheers, pen your observations and experiences when you get the chance, ok?
  6. Aviral singh

Aviral singh Amatore

lucknow
    lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yes,but I really genuinely want some expert opinion on this ,as my cousin who has a travel agency said that it's normal as he has drove many cars,according to him when engine falls after switching off then this happens.but I am scared now really I don't know,hope it's not a problem:(

But yes today it so much surprised me on the highway that too was not in good shape but excellent grip,straight just straight:)very smooth car ,only noise of tyres ,I think because they are so beefy that's why,it only becomes loud on patches of repair work on road but its a real fun on road,overtaking is so easy :)Got a milaege of 17.8 kmpl,average speed 40kmph.and yes today when I came back and parked my car I noticed that some water was under my car just below that first hook which holds the silencer.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    PradeepM and prabhjot like this.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Aviral singh Stop it! Worrying, i mean.;)

Deal with issues when they crop up, if they do, not in advance.:cool: The probabilities with these Fiats are very much in your favour, believe me!

cheers
  8. Aviral singh

Aviral singh Amatore

lucknow
    lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Yes thanks @prabhjot but I just want to make it clear my doubt please help,:)then I am a happy man again:)so if someone could:)
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Aviral singh

Your car's fine, from what you describe, this is a non-issue, it seems to me from what you describe. As I said, our Punto has a slight shudder too when shut down, perfectly normal i'd say for a hot diesel engine. Just always idle before shutting-off.

cheers, glad you're discovering and enjoying its road holding and tough adaptable suspension etc.
    Aviral singh likes this.
  10. Aviral singh

Aviral singh Amatore

lucknow
    lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP