1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"Snow White" Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Harsha89, Mar 18, 2016.

1. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congratulations buddy , Well worth the wait @Harsha89 :)
    Harsha89 likes this.
  2. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @pabhishek Thank you very much. Yes it was :) waiting for delivery with bated breath..maybe tomorrow..will update soon :) Cheers !!!
    pabhishek likes this.
  3. aramico

aramico Amatore

KA 51 / KA 31
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats @Harsha89.. Nice choice worth the wait I guess. Enjoy your drives.
    Harsha89 likes this.
  4. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
  5. nikhil0405

nikhil0405 Amatore

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    @Harsha89 , congrats. Wish you thousands of happy miles with the car.
  6. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Harsha89 : congrats man! Get rid of all the dealer stickers present on the car.
  7. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @nikhil0405 Thank you kindly :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 26, 2016 ---
    @Deepak Thank you so much :) and I sure will.
  8. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    The Ownership thread of my Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP :

Delivery Process :

The whole event had gone smoothly. I was not present during delivery of the vehicle since I was busy at that time. As I had written in my initial booking thread, I got a final price quote of 8.6L. The Car was a Feb 2016 manufactured unit. I didn't bargain much for freebies and such, but still got a set of car mats and mud flaps free. I paid to have parking sensors with visual aid fixed, it's of XENOS brand and work amazingly well, small issue is that there's a mismatch between the colour of sensors and bumper, it's not visible from afar, but obvious up close.
    Coming to the actual delivery, the car had run about 90 km at the time of delivery, courtesy of the stock yard and RTO being a bit far off.
    The customary Pooja was done at the showroom, and later vehicle was taken to a Vinayagar temple for our own personalized version of Pooja. What put me off though, was that the vehicle was shabbily cleaned on the inside, dust was
    covering the ICE, the whole Dash area seemed to be cleaned using a dusty/greasy cloth, I had a plan of 3M-ing the car later. But overall these things can be looked over, because the sheer visual drama and styling this vehicle exudes makes
    you forget all these trivial issues :)

Initial Driving Impressions :

I drove the car for about 75 km on the first day, mostly free highway like roads. Thing is, I have an innate eye for detail and grasp things a bit quick, the 1st hour with the Evo, taught me a lot, I've read a lot of reviews, write ups, professional test drives of cars, and I always correlate my personal experiences with theirs, hence it sharpens your judgement on these things. I'm not trying to boast here or make myself sound like a superior auto enthusiast, but just an honest
    recollection of the feelings I undergo when behind the wheel.

• The Ride is simply phenomenal, I've said it before, many have said it before me, and it still stands true. I'm willing to bet, there's no car within the 30 Lakh price range, to even come close to the Evo. It simply reigns supreme. Ride cushioning from bumps is just one part of the equation, the Evo doesn't roll much, doesn't create a ruckus over a bad patch, nor does it bottom out easily. It truly feels as if you can bull doze over anything the road throws up.

Let's compare segment wise.

Punto vs Elitei20
    ?
    Punto hands down, the Elite loses its bearings the moment is encounters a bigger than usual sized pothole, or uneven surface.

Punto vs Duster
    ?
    might be a close one, but the Punto edges it, in terms of solid feel of the suspension, less noise and also less body roll when encountering a wavy road strip.

Punto vs Jetta
    ?
    Punto again comes out shining, mainly due to better damping, the Jetta feels a bit too firm over sharp edges and large potholes, but the Jetta does feel flatter as the speeds gain and lesser pitching at high speeds, but hey, its a traditional torsion beam vs multi Link and the Torsion beam nearly equals it, so I'll give it to the FIAT !!!
    • The Engine is silky smooth, but you got to control the revs, in order to maintain that smoothness. Try to hold the tachometer below 2.5 clicks, and you're in for a dead silent and refined cabin, the only noise that you'll hear is that of the AC blower. Even if you try to rev the engine, it sounds sporty and not gruff and strained, so it's actually a win-win. The Elite i20 may get applauded by most of the auto reviewers for its refinement and NVH levels, but what many don't tell you is how close the Evo comes to it. Cabin noise insulation is best in class, but
    the Multijet unit is inherently a bit clattery, even then the Punto achieves as good a refinement as the Elite i20.

• Coming to engine performance, it's a bit dull in the first two gears, wakes up in the third, hungry in the fourth and devours the road and all the other cars in the fifth :). If you've read somewhere that the Evo is poor in terms of performance, don't trust your eyes, take a TD and then come to a conclusion, FIAT cars are like gold mines, you need to dig hard to find the gold, most people seem to only find dirt, but the real ones hit it.

• Steering gives amazing feedback, I've driven the Linea's hydraulic unit a couple of times and in comparison to the Punto Evo's unit, the Linea's HPS feels very slightly dull at high speeds, though accurate enough and doesn't exactly bristle with feel, the way an actual HPS should. Also, the Punto Evo's steering cover doesn't feel like actual leather and is a step down in quality from the previous Punto and Linea steering covers. it has slightly rough finish to it and not the soft texture of a typical leather cover. In the end, Hydraulic Steering should not have been omitted by manufacturers. It's what makes driving enjoyable, I feel that a drop of 1-2 km/l of fuel efficiency should not bother a person as much as how
    nervous/unsafe a poorly calibrated EPS feels (Elite i20).

• Gear shift quality is very smooth, it has a short throw and slots cleanly. Coming to the Clutch, this may just have the lightest clutch action I've experienced. The
    travel is also short, and fatigue never sets in, overall the drive is very relaxing.

• Handling is sublime too, as is the rest of the car, I don't want to delve too much into this, as I feel our roads and traffic conditions won't enable us to bring the EVO to its mechanical limits. All I can say is that you won't be disappointed to take a corner at 85 km/hr. Brakes are very feel some, effective in shedding speeds and have excellent travel.

• Build quality is top class, everything closes with a thud, paint quality is great, interiors are very stylish, well designed and have good quality to it, everything inside has a feel good factor about which the bland Germans and newly risen Koreans don't have an idea. The AC is very effective and diffuses the cool air in a pleasant manner and doesn't just blow it at your face, the temperature here is 41 degrees C at the moment and the cabin is chill and pleasant. I wonder why some
    people have said that the AC is not upto scratch. Coming to to the sheer heft of metal in the Punto, none of the hatches even come close. I had read earlier that FIAT cars use 0.85 gauge steel for sheet metal thickness as opposed to 0.80 gauge used in German cars.

• Seating position is very comfortable for me, I measure 6'2” and generously built and yet, the front seats have very good lateral bolstering, great lumbar support, and just okay-ish thigh support. Also seat travel is very long and when you push it to the last position, the rear passenger would have negligible legroom. The lateral
    cushioning is soft and the base and lumbar cushioning is a bit firm. The seat have a very attractive, grey-black pattern to it. Seems to be built to last. Back seats are
    also good for anyone measuring upto 5’10” with good under thigh support, good reclination angle of backrest. I always drive, so it isn't of importance to me.

• The music system is good, I would rate it 7.5/10. The front speakers are alright, good enough definition and detail, nice sound stage, sounding best on USB/AUX and average on Radio FM. Rear speakers are co axial, which sound fine, not as good as the front components. I'm a budding audiophile, so my observations may be biased, since I regularly listen to music with my Sennheiser HD 598. But I don't think casual listeners would be bothered about the quality, in fact it's one of the better stock sound setups I've heard.

• Blue and Me usage is very easy & intuitive and connectivity is seamless. Calls are heard clear on both sides, Voice recognition is perfect, you would never have
    a need to repeat a word twice, as long as you sound the words loud and clear.

• The MID is complex and harbors a lot of functions. There are so many things in there to fiddle with, which I'm going to skip over, just to keep my review a bit tight. The steering buttons have a firm feedback and a bit hard to press, maybe because the car is new. Stalks are well built and seem to be of a good build.

• The power buttons on the driver's door-pad are back lit, also are the power window buttons on each door, along with the AUX input symbol, Steering wheel controls, headlight beam adjuster, back-light intensity adjuster, fog lamp switch are all back lit by a pleasant AMBER glow. Very relaxing during night drives

Some Miscellaneous Points :

> Fuel gauge takes about 10-15 minutes to show the exact level of fuel, but in turn is very accurate in showing the mileage figures in the MID.

>Apollo Alnac 4G tyres are good for dry grip, but are quite noisy. I suppose that it would last another 20-25k Kms after which i would probably go for Primacy 3 ST (OR) MC5.

>The various warning sounds and notification sounds are shrill beeps as opposed to subtle dings as found in the Hyundai and the VW cars.

>Has someone mentioned that VW/Skoda/Ford doors are heavy to operate ? Tell them to try a FIAT, it would be a good way to start building their forearm muscles :).

>The glass all around are manufacturer tinted with upto 70% transparency.

>Boot is spacious at 280L, also provided are velcro straps to fasten small, bulky, cylindrical objects. There is also a dedicated boot lamp.

>Dual horn setup is quite loud and sounds unique when compared to the now common wind tone horn setups.

>ORVM provide a wide field of vision, but also protrude quite a bit outside the body. Being careful is a must in dense traffic and electric mirror folding is an added hassle.

> Headlight throw is good, but intensity is lacking. I have already placed an order for a pair of Philips Xtreme Vision Plus H4 55W bulbs. Fog lamps light up well.

> Roof lining material feels very premium to touch and is of a high quality, door rubber beading are generously put up, under bonnet insulation is thick, Engine is held up by hydraulic mounts, all of these things together contribute to the amazing NVH levels within the cabin. Even the start and stop action of the engine is devoid of vibrations and jerks within the cabin.

>Speed masking is supreme, ask the co passenger to guess the speed without looking at the dials and he/she would always reply with a speed difference of 20-25 km/hr.

> Fiat Cars have the most complex and informative MID of all cars below 25 L.

>Glove box opens with a beautiful damped action and also has a light source inside, space is limited, only useful for storing manuals and car documents.

>Storage compartment above the Central AC vents is covered by soft rubber and spacious enough to store large mobile phones.

Some Photos from my initial 3 days of ownership. Some more detailed photos will follow in the coming week

20160429_180153.jpg

Imposing and Aggressive Front

20160429_180126.jpg

Slight mismatch between the color of RPS and bumper

20160429_180424.jpg

Stretched Reindeer headlights look swell. Looks modern in comparison to the older

Punto Headlights

20160429_180304.jpg

Funky LED tail lamps

20160430_063350-01.jpeg

Dials are backlit with Amber colored lights. Very soothing to drive at night.

20160430_063613-01.jpeg

20160430_063459-01.jpeg

20160430_063506-01.jpeg

20160430_063544-01.jpeg

Door-pad controls are back lit too. They light up as soon as you enter a dark area.

20160430_070812-01.jpeg

20160430_070847-01.jpeg

20160430_070823-01.jpeg

Factory tinted glass with 70% Transparency

20160429_180553.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2016
    Rama, KPR, aramico and 1 other person like this.
  9. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Harsha89 That's great true review !
    Reg fuel indicator: Switch off the car completely and then restart it after refill. You will get level shown immediately.

Yesterday one of my friend extensive test drives of Honda Jazz was about to book one had the opportunity to drive my exotic red. He got so much admired that he is confused again. The fiat normally grows on one. Happy to see you own a white 90 HP. Happy and safe driving.
    Harsha89 likes this.
  10. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @KPR Thank you very much. I was searching for answers regarding this issue within team fiat, so I posted the question in another thread. I'll be sure to turn the car off completely during the next refill. But do I have to follow this every time I visit the fuel station or this once ? Thank you for reading my review, the Evo is an amazing car, it doesn't lack anything and it grows on you after each day of ownership. The Honda Jazz is All Show and No Go. Your friend would be better served by the Evo, Honda has a knack to rip people's pockets, please advise him not to fall for it, this is my honest opinion. :)
    --- Double Post Merged, May 1, 2016 ---
    @KPR Sir would you happen to know how to reset the fuel range in the MID ? I have filled my tank completely, yet the remaining fuel range is being shown as 52 km. I have also tried manually resetting by holding the TRIP button in the stalk.
    Last edited: May 1, 2016