1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"Snow White" Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Harsha89, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Roger that @Turbothinghy though the tyres are noisy, it grips really well both in dry and wet conditions. And 35-40k is great mileage for any tyre given our road conditions, hell even the moon has lesser craters than India :) lol
    Giridhar, PradeepM and Turbothinghy like this.
  2. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hello guys,
    It's been a while since I last posted anything. My 90 HP is going great. I hit 9000 km yesterday, everything has started to settle in well. The driving experience as ever is absolutely fabulous. I always get the urge to take her out into winding roads and traffic less highways to enjoy to the maximum. IMHO Punto is never at home in a city. The poor frontal visibility, relaxed couch like seating position, long travel clutch, and a relatively slow 1st & 2nd gears makes life difficult during rush hour traffic. But out in an open road, it covers distance like crazy, it literally gallops across corners and straights alike with absolute composure. Like a Mustang ;)
    Coming to my car, of late I feel the ride could be a bit more soft, though it's still excellent in my books, it does have a slight firm edge to it at low speeds. As to my query, would I be served better if 1) I upsize the side wall to 195/60/16 (OR) downsize to 195/60/15 ? I've read that the latest batch of power tech Puntos, come with 15 inchers. Owners kindly relate and reply :)
    Turbothinghy, Raaz and Giridhar like this.
  3. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Harsha89 : honestly i too had the feeling of downgrading to 15' steel rims with Linea wheel cap as 15' tyres are cheap and provide variety of choices. But if you want a better ride quality at high speed, please stick to 16' alloys. Look at them. I'm in love with those alloys <3 No doubt 195/55 profile is bumpy in lower speeds but it compensates for the ride quality at higher speeds.
    Still if you decide to downgrade, below is the link for reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/89227-downsizing-wheel-tyre.html

@Turbothinghy
  4. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @Harsha89, Congrats for achieving 90K in your tank like car. :)

Just one question though. How do you feel gear box now? was it the same from the beginning or you see any improvement over the years with the usage?
  5. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Raaz Its actually 9000 km not 90000 km :) coming to the gearbox, its become smoother shifting. Thing is the gearbox is a level or 2 below VW, MS gearboxes. Its also a long throw type and not short & slick shifting.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 13, 2016 ---
    @Deepak Thank you for your opinion. Yes, the 16 inchers do look unique and cool, but our roads are only suited for 13-14 inch tyres due to the uneven surface, pot-wells and odd objects like nails, sharp stones, metal pieces and what not which would make tyre damage a bank breaking affair. Anyway I've filled my tyres with 33 psi all around and it feels better now. :)
    Raaz likes this.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Harsha89 : I love my 90 HP Sport's ride quality after 20-30 km/hr. The stiffness in ride at early speeds if because of stiffened suspension (when compared to the pre-2012 puntos) and not only the tyre. The 15 inchers might be a little better at those speeds but then you would loose out on better handling in the corners owing to a lower aspect ratio of the 16', no wonder it was a sports variant. Also, if you travel solo then I would recommend you to stick to a little lower air pressure and vice-versa, if you want a softer ride.

The way those 16' handle bad roads at relatively higher speeds is simply remarkable. IMO the current setup of Punto delivers best of both worlds, it has a SUVish GC which aids practicality, and still has a nice balance of ride+handling.

You can install the pre-2012 suspension setup for the best balance between ride and handling and install 15' but then your 90 HP will start kissing the speed breakers.
    gpunto75, Deepak and Raaz like this.
  7. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Sorry my mistake. I thought of it's 90,000.

I've observed during my many test drives, Punto's gear box is long throw one and its rubbery kinda feel while shifting the gears. IMO, My Palio D's gearbox is far better than Punto, at least that's my experience.

However, glad to know the gearbox is getting smoother over the usage.

Good Luck and Enjoy the ride. :)
  8. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Raaz I've used Swift diesel for 5 years and punto for the last one year. My experience on Punto's gear box sans the technicalities involved but a simple driving point of view:
    1. Gear changes are without any noise, no sound you hear with a punto gear box. Swift gives me this notorious tok-tok noise when slotting gears.
    2. Tall gears means very few gear changes in a punto Vs Swift diesel the throws are short so keep changing frequently combined with Tok-Tok noise. I'm a person who doesn't like to keep fiddling with gear lever and advice the same to others those who keep driving in traffic with left hand placed on gear knob as it puts weight on gear box. I read this in Maruti swift's manual.
    3. Anyday my choice is a Fiat's gear for my comfort and silent free cabin. In fact I drive an innova in my family and it's gear shift is comparable to our Punto's.

@Harsha89 I also would like to have a 15" rims and tyres over 16 inchers only for the reason that tyre changes will be costly affair compared to regular 15" rims. But definitely not below that. The car needs meat to fill wheel arches.

P.S: I used to think my swift creates noise when changing gears but the fact is etios/liva diesel gear change will be much more irritating for me.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    gpunto75, Ganges and Raaz like this.
  9. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @KPR , thanks very much for your very useful insight on various gearboxes in the market. Thanks for that enlightenment. :)
  10. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy Thanks for your reply. I think I'll hold on to my 16" for now :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 14, 2016 ---
    @KPR Thanks for the comparo. I was a swift owners too before the Punto, and I can affirm your findings. :)
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    KPR, Raaz and Turbothinghy like this.