1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

"Snow White" Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Harsha89, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hello Fiat-ians,

This is just a brief write up about the initial process of buying my Fiat Punto Evo 90 HP in Pearl White colour. As of now, I've completed the advance booking payment and the rest of the sum is to be settled in the coming weeks, as I'm quite busy at the moment.
    I'll just go a small way, to explain why I chose Fiat despite there being a wealth of options to choose from in the premium hatchback segment. Before that, A little background info about yours truly. I'm a doctor, A Post Graduate student as of now based and studying in Coimbatore. At home, We have a Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDi (2012) & a Suzuki Swift 1.3 DDis VDi (2009).

My hunger for automotive enthusiasm was sparked by a erstwhile and magnificent car known as the Mitsubishi Lancer. What a car that was !!! The low stance, hydraulic steering, smooth gearshift, feel some brakes and phenomenal ride and handling balance was simply unmatched even 14 yrs after its advent in our home. In comparison, My Volkswagen Jetta fails to entice me in the same way as my lancer. Of course, the Jetta may be of a superior engineering, sharing its platform with more expensive cars, but there's something called CHARACTER which cannot be emulated with any amount of money or technology.

So that brings me to why I chose Fiat. A while ago, I drove a family friend's Fiat Linea MJD, it was a relatively short trip of about 100 km. The driving experience was a lot similar to the one I had been used to, from my time with the lancer, albeit the Linea being heavier and a bit muted throttle response. So then I headed to the Fiat Showroom for a TD of the Fiat Punto Evo, since I was the only person to drive the car most of the time, a huge sedan seemed overkill. The Punto Evo has all the same traits of the Linea, but in a relatively compact and easy to manoeuvre package. The NVH insulation seemed better and the interiors were a huge improvement and even the drivability was noticeably improved in the first 3 gears. So I was set on the Punto Evo.

But due to ongoing work and other busy family based commitments, the car selection process kept getting delayed. In the middle, I started to consider other cars, things such as phasing out of the Punto Evo, unveiling of the Fiat Tipo at the Geneva motor show and rumours of a Fiat Punto replacement also hovered on many automobile sites, which created a lot of doubts about the buying and long term ownership of the Punto Evo

Cars which I considered were as follows :
    1. Hyundai Elite i20 Diesel - Test drove the car, Very impressive interiors, feature laden, build quality was nearly 60-70 % of Fiat Cars. Much better than the other Asian cars in this regard, but the suspension seemed to be all over the place and a bit unsettled on bad roads, engine response wasn't exciting enough and picked up pace very linearly and key features like auto door lock, Fuel based MID info and One touch down Windows which all were present in the Punto, were missing in the Elite i20. The Final nail in the coffin in my book, was a lacklustre driving experience and there was an i20 present on nearly every road you travel, hence the lack of exclusivity.
    2. VW Polo - Rejected because I personally found the external build quality a step down from the typical European standards, and much less than what Fiat cars exhibit. Also engines are a bit noisy, but in turn give out excellent performance.
    3. Ford Fiesta Facelift - WHAT A STUPENDOUS CAR !!! Every bit as desirable as a BMW 3-Series at a much cheaper price. Stunning Dynamics, Ultra refined and tractable engine, Great driving position and that Racing inspired Front seats would beg you to ask the dealer to take all your cash and give you a car at that very moment. Unfortunately, the vehicle was discontinued, remaining vehicles in stock were only sold at the Full On road price of 12.7 L which was a bit high for discontinued vehicles. Hence dropped with a heavy heart.
    4. Other cars like Honda Jazz, Suzuki Baleno were not even considered.

I'm a frequent visitor to the car review forum of Team-bhp.com and I once read about a certain car owner saying that " A Communicative steering, smooth gear shift, enthusiastic engine, and sorted dynamics " are all that's required for a car to be called GREAT. If it fails in any of these, it's not good enough in my book, let it have "n" number of gadgetry and technological pizzazz, the afore mentioned things are THE PRIORITY.

Coming to the Fiat Punto Evo, the following things which I had compared with my previously owned vehicles made it stand out :

> The Ride is as good or maybe a bit better than the Volkswagen Jetta
    > The Steering reeks of feel and is very similar to that of the Mitsubishi Lancer
    > The Engine though the same as the Swift's, is much better insulated, refined and sporty sounding, though a bit laggy in the lower gears, which can be overcome easily with timed gear shifting.
    > My dad who opened the doors of the Punto Evo for the first time, mentioned that it feels as sturdy as those of the VW Jetta. Great compliment to say the least, the build quality of Fiat cars rivals that of cars more than double its price and two segments higher.

Well, I've now finally come to the end of my " Initial Write-up ". My First impressions and a very comprehensive ownership review will follow soon. One thing I noticed at team fiat is that many ownership reviews are quite barren and don't provide that much detail as to help prospective buyers as well as regular readers. Hence, I would like to post an extra long review, detailed and teeming with pictures as soon as I get my hands on " Snow White ". Thanks for reading patiently and until next time.
  2. nikhil0405

nikhil0405 Amatore

Pune
    Linea 1.3
  3. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Congratulations Harsha!!!!
  4. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Harsha89 : First of all welcome to the 90 HP club. Awaiting a thorough review from your end. Did you also sample the 75 HP multijet before finalising 90 HP. Would like to know how different did you find it viz v 90 HP.
  6. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congratulations @Harsha89 ! Fiats are the only one left providing best steering feel since the discontinuation of Fiesta in affordable segments.
    Happy mile munching!
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  7. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy Thank you very much. I didn't check out the 75 bhp, primarily because my Swift has the same engine, and being the light car swift is, the engine is sprighty, but since the Punto 75 HP weighs roughly 130 kg more, I didn't have much hopes for it in terms of performance which I needed. I test drove the 90 HP, even the so called lag in 2nd gear isn't too much, you just need to be a bit calm and not try to floor it until you reach the 3rd, also refinement was maybe 85% of that of Elite i20 which is very good, hence I was already sold on it when I tested the 90 HP. I must thank you once again for helping me to fix the final OTR price, I got a quote of 8.6 L.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 19, 2016 ---
    @pabhishek Thank you very much. True, what you said. The Fiesta's rack is a revelation considering it's an EPS, too bad it's no more. I wonder why manufacturers are shying away from using HPS. On the loss in fuel economy with HPS debate, the Punto gives 21-22 kmpl when driven sedately..How much more does one need ? :)
    pabhishek and Turbothinghy like this.
  8. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Harsha89 Congratulations !!! I own a 90 HP and I can vouch that every paise spent is rewarded in case of a Fiat Punto 90 HP. Great VFM. When renowned manufacturers are making namesake facelifts and then increase the price by 25-30K I should appreciate Fiat for providing a feature laden, safe and high end sedan type driveability hatch at a price even lesser than equivalent swift.(forget extremely over priced baleno, i20 elite, jazz..)
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  9. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @KPR Thank you very much. The Punto Evo is a huge improvement over the original Punto, I even felt that the rubber beading on the doors are different, as I closed & opened the doors of the Evo multiple times and found it to be more premium sounding than that of the original Punto or even the Linea. Our country focuses mainly upon visual excitement produced by multiple useless gadgets and unnecessary styling details ( Blackened C-pillars in the Elite i20, steering position assist etc). Honda nowadays has a penchant for ripping off customers cleanly, the Jazz for all its interior roominess, has a very poor feature list. IMHO, Fiat is the only branded staying true to customers, the majority of the others have turned to ripping off customers.
    KPR likes this.
  10. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Harsha89 You are right. Improvements are evident. Even the old Punto's music system issues have been sorted out very nicely in the new punto evo. The attention to detail is evident in each of the parts of the car. My personal opinion on this punto evo is it behaves like a mini SUV with excellent suspension setup, a high end sedan while in driver seat and overall an eye candy to others. All these in an affordable and even lesser price than competition. Again and again I say this. Punto evo is like the best fit jean in a closet.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    pevo_89 and Harsha89 like this.