1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

slight kr kr sound for initial 2 minutes

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drgopusankar, Nov 29, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The noise is of the clutch release bearing. A very typical noise.

I experienced the same on the Palio D and the noise kept increasing till the day the bearing finally exploded inside. Yes it exploded. It was removed in pieces.

That said, plenty of cars seem to go on forever with a certain amount of clutch release bearing noise. A bit of it can even be termed okay and inevitable. Case in point being our Palio D again. It's run 1,20,000 km's and is on it's third clutch kit ; but a little bit of noise has always been there.

Change the complete clutch kit in one go, whenever you plan to do it. No point opening up things ( and paying for labour) again and again.

Cheers.
  2. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    how long the did the bearing last after start of the noise.can I go on for may be few thousand Kms more as the the guy in TASS said or I should get it changed.Would it be wise to just change the bearing.does it involves any transmission issues also.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Like i said, earlier the bearing disintegrated. This was at around 75,000km's. After the noise became noticeable, the bearing did last quite a while (10-15,000+km's) before finally giving up. The noise got louder gradually till finally the bearing committed suicide.:p

After this, there have been two clutch kit changes till 1,20,000km's . But the noise has persisted throughout the last ~50,000km's. It's not much, can only be heard if you listen closely. A little bit is normal.

So, we can't say that the noise will definitely lead to a bearing disintegration. It could've been an one off thing.

How bad/loud is the noise? If it isn't much, then just ignore it and continue to drive.

For the sake of labour costs, and more importantly (to me) to avoid opening up the transsmission again and again , it is wise to change the complete kit in one go whenever you do.

I don't think so. The noise you describe is almost certainly of clutch release bearing. No relation with the gearbox.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the reply Gurjinder.really appreciate the reply.I was just surfing the net on the issue, even pilot bearing(transmission) can also be culprit for this noise.The noise can be only heard in the first gear (or may be its getting offset by the engine noise in the higher gears)/low rpm running.On close observation I could clearly make out the noise from the gear box.There is also little bit vibration on the shifter.