1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

slight kr kr sound for initial 2 minutes

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drgopusankar, Nov 29, 2011.

1. hello everyone,

Today while starting the car, and while idling it, I noticed a slight kr kr sound coming some where from the engine and slowly it disappeared with in 2 minutes and regained the natural sound. I hope that it occurred because I didn't started the car yesterday as it was Sunday and today the engine had a cold start. Is that normal as I think or anything to worry about? Expecting your valuable replies.
  2. somu_200

somu_200

Hyderabad
    check the engine oil levels
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It is due to drive belt of A/c or Alternator. It's normal. To check it, pour some water on each belt. Noise will disapear. If you are getting noise regularly then get the belt change
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    drgopusankar
    record the sound if it ever comes again, can't comment without listening to it.
    Engine sounds a little louder when cold but it isn't kr kr it's the usual diesel engine clatter.

Was the sound like kr kr kr that you get when you change gears without pressing clutch completely.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i think its the diesel clatter. on cold starts MJD make noise till the oil gets heated up. the hydraulic tappets make this krr krr krr sound till the engine gets hot.

nothing to worry about.
    1 person likes this.
  6. oil level is normal. today there was no sound.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

@ italia linea .. thank you. I also think like that. today there was no sound. I think it happens when we start the car after one or two days gap.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

No it was not like that.only slight noise that got disappeared in 2 minutes.
  7. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I get a noise immediately after insert the key and turn it to MAR position. A krrrrrrr... sound which lasts a few seconds. wonder if that is common.

Sorry for butting it in here.... then again its a krrrr.... noise. :)
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. hello clash, that is absolutely normal and common. no need to worry about.
  9. PranavOne

PranavOne Amatore

Chennai
    Hi drgopusankar
    I think, this kind of noise seems coming from belt. Due to its physical nature, the threards in the belt are kept tight during rainy/winter season. Nothing worry about it, I can hear the same kind of sound for some 20-30 seconds in my swift Vxi in night time only(espicially rainy day) not the day time.
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I also was getting some kr kr noise from the engine bay.Took the car to Wasan Kandivli and he pointed the faint kr kr noise (as if some thing is scraping) I was getting from engine bay to clutch issue.The noise comes when clutch is released and no noise when the clutch is pressed.he said the problem is with clutch plate springs and because of that the noise is coming from the gear.he said this is no problem and I can easily drive the car for another 10000 kms or change the clutch for total Rs. 10000 to get rid of the sound. Any advise whether this would be clutch or gear issue. My Linea MJD march 2009 has completed 56000 Kms.