1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Skoda Rapid buying decision

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by pushkaraj, Apr 24, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Tornado, congratulations on your decision to buy an Automatic Car. You certainly do not need to sound apologetic towards Fiat, since Fiat could have introduced an Automatic and sold at premium and people would have bought or 'risked' it purely for that sake. 'People' here are those who do not care or do not have resources or time to understand finer aspects of a car, like handling as you mentioned. Of course steering is just one part of the handling equation, so suspension and wheel geometry and chassis design all are a part of the game and that cannot be so cheap if another manufacturer wants to replicate it.

Another thing I must mention is that the clatter we hear about Skoda and VW car being expensive to maintain etc. has a lot to do with bad service also and cheating dealers. Just be extra careful and vigilant about that DSG gearbox oil change; to be done only by a really experienced technician; and you probably have much less to worry about. Apart from that I refuse to believe that these gearboxes are problematic and Skoda costs a bomb to maintain.
    Tornado likes this.
  2. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy,@asimpleson.
    I have driven Linea on really bad roads(meant for Storme, duster et al) where none of the sedan dare to drive. At normal speeds,in deep potholes, you need not slowdown too much despite full load in Linea and still the buttocks don't get the hard feeling of Ford Ecosport /fiesta. And you can't make out the difference between Duster /Storme & Linea suspension.

Skoda Rapid, you need to slow down (apply both brake & clutch in case of MT) more than Linea (releasing the accelerator pedal only is required) while passing through deep potholes else you get a sound which tells you that springs are compressed too much and the metal of one turn of the spring is banging on the other turn. Of course it doesn't require to do a bishop (chess) like honda city or civic, Verna on unscientific speed breakers.
    Vento ground clearance is lesser than Rapid and need to do a bishop on unscientific speed breakers, suspensions are equally good (Linea- ish) but with full load, the underbody does scrape.
    After spending 11 to 15 L on a car, she should move like a queen & not bishop. Linea, despite being 10 to 11 L car absolutely moves like a queen.

AFA Skoda ASS is concerned 60 % spare parts of Rapid are getting localised hence there is almost 50% reduction in prices so little less worried about the cost. And about the attitude of SAAS staff, till now I enquired & showed them two Rapids which were in contention during my buying process, they were as cooperative & quick as FASS despite lot of workload on them prior to Diwali.
    Rest if required, I will have to apply force.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  3. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Due to untimely rains, the road repair work got undone, car underbody scraped twice (missed you Fiat) while passing over the trenches formed due to it despite dead slow speed , hence got the 'Urathane cushions' fitted on the suspension springs and it seems the GC issue is solved on the same trenches.

20151125_170243.jpg
    asimpleson and dadasaheb like this.
  4. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Last week, I had gone to drop kids to the school, as we were late, I had to drive the car faster than usual ( quick overtaking & kick downs, )making the journey tortuous , within 20 mins kids started complaining of nausea. This never happened in case of Avventura.

Today again, similar situation araised on same route however kids didn't complained of nausea.

Conclusion : Rapid has some body roll as compared to Avventura /Linea. Urathane cushions have reduced the body roll of Rapid.