1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Skoda Rapid buying decision

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by pushkaraj, Apr 24, 2014.

1. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Rapid is a good car and VFM, Congratulations and enjoy the beauty.

We all love driving and Linea should come with 1.6, 1.3 is good but not the best. This was one reason I went for TJet. Linea 1.3 can reach 180+ but takes lot of effort.
    Tornado likes this.
  2. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ram, I am sure you may have your own understanding but his car is not special, just normal. That is what is knows as "babying" the engine, don't do that with your next car. No Rapid/Vento/Verna have earned any respect here & I have been alongside a few. May not be on free-ways but it has gone to those speeds on highways that shouldn't be mentioned on forums, on other ocaasions. They don't even try to follow for 50 mtrs. Buying a 1.6 Rapid didn't help them::T
  3. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    Thanks kr_vasudev.
    I think we should add Tject 1.6 on wish list too , That will be awesome.

Frankly i dont think Linea will launch 1.6 MJD , My guess is market will move towards 1.5 , It will make sense to car manufactuere to take tax benifit ( for cars up to 1500cc )
    That will keep their price bracket intact.

4. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    ENKI , I will request you not to drive with those speeds. I had argument on "babying" engine with one of my friend's friend ( You can't imagine his speed ) and he is no more - killed in an accident !!!
    How many times we read -Car dashed , 2/3 killed . I am quite sure all those drivers involved in the accident were confident about his vehicle and driving skills.We always think that can never happen to us.

As far as I am concerned , I don't respect the cars ( does not matter if its rapid/vento/verna/city OR even linea/punto ) but person who drives the car. If Alto driver drives well than he earns more respect from me than person driving Audi rashly.
    Even now i generally make sure that if senior citizen is driving and he needs to overtake me , i help him out.

Speed is not something I boast about ... for me I generally boast about my car control
    After about 1L KM of car driving on diffrent terrains , diffrent seasons , diffrent highway i dont have single insurance claim !!! , does not mean my bumper was not scratched - But only scratches - not a single serious dash.
    I dont like 4 lane highway much , I love driving on single lane highway - Each overrake should be priceless and test your control and skills to max.

Somtime ago i read one comment on fiat owners from non fiat guy - "Fiat owners are always humble and good drivers" - I think we have reputation to maintan :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Noob's question : What is babying the engine?
  6. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    Babying engine is not taking it to higher rpm /speed .
    The concept actually is engine rpm should varying , engine should be taken to higher rpms , say if instead of changing gear constantly at 2000-2500 RPM , take it further for a while , catch a redline sometimes
    But engine expert also say not to "beat it hard" by always using high rev/rpm.

Friend's-friend i talked about in previous reply was using that babying engine argument to justify his high speeds !!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  7. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the info.
    Hmm, I have been babying the engine
    The speeds I regularly travel are 80 or below. I rarely go beyond given the traffic and the speed cameras on Kerala roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    Congrats Pushkaraj for your Skoda Rapid. Reading this post made me remind my experience a month back when I was looking out for sedan. I totally agree that its a tough choice between Vento, Rapid and Linea. I did 2 TD for Linea and Rapid but alas couldn't forget Linea :p. I was very close to book Rapid but then heart ruled over head and went ahead with Linea. Wish you happy mile munching and a safe drive.
    1 person likes this.
  9. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    Thank you mangesh .
  10. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Congratulations Pushkar. Rapid is an able car. I have test driven it in October last year. I found the power to be great. Build quality is typical European which I liked. Dynamics were also great to compensate the raw power on the tap. I have driven it at decent speeds and never did I think it was less capable than Fiat. Only things that put me off were the constant vibrating clutch pedal, missing dead pedal, lesser equipments and doubtful Skoda's ASS. Never-the-less, it was one of the contenders in my sedan probable's list. I would have ended up with one, but I am destined to drive yet another Fiat. For how long, is a discussion for another day.

Other cars that were on the list apart from Rapid were New Ford Fiesta which was my favourite of the lot and then the Linea. Finally ended up with Linea after my experience with Punto and the irresistable deal I got.
    linea4me likes this.