1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Skoda Rapid buying decision

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by pushkaraj, Apr 24, 2014.

1. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

My search for car started after I sold my fiat MJD Punto emotion pk, it had no issues but it was time to upgrade. XUV 500 was in my mind for long time but few things that stopped me.

• After 10-15 TD's, was not satisfied with suspension
    Was there scope for making XUV better?
    • Yes ,Mahindta has that history, scropio was launched in 2002, it took mahindra 4-5 years to sort issues and then came all new scorpio.
    • So why not wait and watch :)
    • Compared to sedan paying 2 L more ==> Around 3600 more EMI
    • City Milage , Its 11, so compared to sedan with 16 city milage, my running of around 1400 KM per month, additional expenditire on fuel would be around 2800
    • So overall additional expenditure of 6400 Per month which is 76,800 per year. Was not sure if I wanted to take that overhead.
    Vehicles considered

Hyundai Verna

What works:
    • Best Equipment level in the class
    • Design has lots of curves – few people find it too much.
    • Hyundai service network
    What does not:
    • Steering: It's confused, too light for me. Was not reacting well at high speed.
    • Suspension: Hyundai will need to do something about this, they just cant tune it, it still bounces off even after new tune up in 2014
    • Build quality: Got feedback from atleast 3 owners about front bumper is not of top notch quality and also when I compared with german cousins (VW group), it still lags
    Honda City diesel

What works:
    • Honda brand
    • Best interior in its class : Touch panel AC . Seating space.
    • Suspension : Tuned well.
    • best After sales service.
    What does not:
    • Steering : again too light for me
    • Car is 45 KG lighter than previous city : It does not aspire confidence on high speed
    • Aluminium engine : I am really not sure how it will behave in long run in india, it's foolish to think on this line but as much as I checked online , CI engine seems better bet
    • Is it worth to spend 3 L more compared to amaze when we get same engine : not sure
    Volkswagen vento

What works:
    • Build quality :
    • Thud you hear when you close door
    • Plastic quality :
    • Salesman litreally opened door and he stood on that plastic handle.
    • No smell/fumes from plastic even if you park in 38 deg open space
    • Corrosion free body : Confirmed this from someone who lives in coastal area.
    • Engine: 105 bhp with awesome torque
    • Steering: Not as good as Fiat but definitely better than competition
    • Suspension: On low speed its good but on high its okay ( not bad at all )
    What does not:
    • After sales service
    • Resale value
    • Maintenance cost
    Vento was looking like good bet.

Till now skoda was not under consideration, I saw one advertise on Quickr for used vento. I called that guy and had a quite long discussion with him on cars in general, turned out to be that he was working at VW plant.

He suggested me to check skoda rapid, to quote him “ Rapid was launched aftre vento, we fixed many issues which we saw in vento, also rapid is tuned better in suspension and engine”. He also added that rapid and vento are very much localized so parts cost is less.

After hearing so many stories on skoda, I was really not sure . But next morning I saw advertise in paper and realized we have new dealer in town.
    I thought, why not just TD it. I called up the dealer. The Salesman promised to come at 11:30 and to my suprise he visited on time.

Few observations after TD (please note this is in addition to Vento's points)

What works:
    • Cabin noise is less than Vento
    • Suspesion behaves better on low as well as high speed
    • Acceleration is more linear
    • I could feel it's bit fast, responsive than vento – later found out why.
    • Maintenance cost : Less than vento. VW puts premium of few percentage as brand name when they sale same spares for vento.
    • In Rapid, they reduced boot space and added that additional space as leg space for rear seats, works for me as boot is still huge.
    What does not:
    • Skoda After sales
    • Resale value
    I was happy with TD. But then, what made me more serious was MY14 Ambition plus variant. I needed two airbags and ABS. This was one version below top model but satisfied my safety conscious mind and on cost, I was saving a lot. 3L+ compared to XUV, 1L compared to vento highline (I was considering 2013 model) and 1.7L compared to Verna/Honda. So that means resale value point is gone and also maintenance cost.

For after sales service, I talked with few owners, MD at new dealership and I was satisfied with efforts they are taking to improve service and finally I purchased Skoda Rapid.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    Tornado, mangeshtendulkar and limraj like this.
  2. Kiran_Borra

Kiran_Borra Novizio

Congrats Pushkaraj.
    Rapid is a good car and I'm sure you will have miles of happiness.
    I strongly considered rapid for me but after taking TD of Linea I was struck with Fiats and finally ended up buying punto MJD ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  3. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Torque and Accel figures.

AccelrationFigures.jpg torque.jpg

Thanks kiran
  4. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Revised Parts cost
    Parts-cost1.jpg parts2.jpg partscost3.jpg
    Tornado and ramjn like this.
  5. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

6. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

7. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

oops :)

8. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    It's a good car and both cars the Rapid and Vento have a degree of respect amongst their customers. Happy riding. ::T
  10. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Congrats on a good buy, the After sales has improved but needs further improvement is what I feel.

Just an FYI the power ratings of the VW group are the most accurate that you can get. The 105 bhp rating is the power at wheels when compared to other manufacturers who provide power ratings at crank

Enjoy the car!
    Tornado and pushkaraj like this.