1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

skoda laura l&k rat bite and warning light

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by carzinger, Oct 24, 2012.

1. HI fiatians

One of my friend was caught up in a mess after a rat decided to take its family to safety underneath bonnet of a skoda laura l&k following rain
    now i kno y the say-it was raining cats n dogs:D

ohk,,that was one long (boring) sentence i guess,

long story short

rat went in

decided to taste some german food(wires)

friend cranks the engine

a warning light comes up and says--
    oil pressure:engine off!!check owners manual + a red engine oil symbol

owners manual says-donot drive on ,engine oil pressure too low,obtain professional assistance

oil level checked-found to be normal

no oil spillage noted on ground underneath

rat bite marks seen on protective hoses over some wires,but no definite evidence of a wire being cut

called skoda service-they say its probably ratbite(we didn say anythong about the rat or bite marks)

so 2 options now

tow it for 180 kms-INR 9000+3000

they will come on Sunday(4 days from now) to repair it on site-INR 3000

now the dilemma is -wud they be able to locate the wire that is cut if they come over(they seemed +ve) or
    wud it be like -we cant locate it so u have to tow +pay us for the road side assistance

We probably wouldn have asked this if it was not for the notoriety of skoda service

bro s should we tow the car or remain cool till Sunday(there by increasing the chances for further rat bites)

awaiting reply anxiously

thanks in advance:p

NB-tobacco leaves and rat poison have been installed in the cars surroundings

10-24-2012 10-36-10 AM.jpg
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I feel it's better to tow the car to the ASC and get it checked out thoroughly there. Like you said, the service guys may not have the right wire to replace so what happens then? Better take the car to the ASC get the wires / hoses replaced and have it checked by the scanner to rule out any more error's.
  3. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

if you dont have any issue in waiting then you can wait for the service guys. I would recomment you to inform the issue before they plan for the visit hence they can bring the necessary wiring kit with them while coming and this will eliminate the need of towing the vehicle to maximum extend.

the money going to spend is same for the workmanship if you plan to tow or they comes then why should we spend on extra bugs to tow ( provided the service guy informed about exact issue and he understood correctly).

this is my suggestion.
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

No connection between engine oil pressure being low and a rat BITE!! This is something else.Try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the -ve terminal of the battery for 15mins.One off case where a rat can bite the electricals(wire) and such a error can show up.Can be a sensor problem too(ratbite).
  5. Thanks guys for responding

they had promised to come by last sunday but at the last moment i was called and said "we may not be able to find ways wrong by on site inspection and even of we do find and fix,car still will b at a risk of having short circuit(unless they check and verify the repair is fool proof by VAG machine which is not portable) and warranty might be void

so i had to tow the car to trichy skoda showroom,,

been 2 days since -all that i got as a reply was-" we r investigating,please wait"

skoda being skoda,,i have a decided to wait for a few more days before raising a tough voice

N.B-yes,,i did ask them as to y the hell did they not ask me to tow the car in the first place itself instead of making me wait,,,,,to which the service manager responded "sir I asking u to tow for ur own good" and he never apologised either

tats for now folks,,will keep u updated
  6. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

a Typical Skoda attitude, hope nothing went wrong.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Skoda and it's horror stories even more than Fiat horror stories.
    Maybe they don't have spares in stock
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012