1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Silencer problem or Adulterated petrol ?? help!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sahib1517, Jan 9, 2012.

1. sahib1517

sahib1517 Timido

I was driving back home in my 1.4 Linea petrol , from chandigarh to delhi. I stoped at a HP petrol pump near Haveli at Ambala on the road. My tank was half empty...but after fillin 7 litres the petrol guy said tank is full. I laughed at him and resumed my journey.
    After few kms the silencer starting jerking and knocking like the exhaust gas is not coming out. while car was stalled car vibrated heavily...then while picking on first gear it jerked and made noise of an autorikshaw...i thought the silencer is broken but drove car for 180 kms to delhi.
    Suddenly after reaching delhi the vibration in the car started fading. Now car when stalled is not vibrating...but there is small shuderring/vibration when picking on gear 1 and performance is low of gear 2.
    I think the problem occured because of adultered petrol...or can it be some other issue??? What should be my next step?? I dont want to goto tass unnecesarily since they would take out fault in everything starting from fuel injector spark plugs to silencer....
    Please suggest.
  2. shams

shams Esperto

I would suggest as a first step go to a local garage and get the fuel drained out completely and have the tank/fuel filter etc cleaned with fresh petrol from a trusted bunk.
    If the problem was due to adulterated petrol then this should solve it.
    most of the local garage guys are experts in such things due to the common problem of petrol is diesel cars and vice versa.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

i am suspecting water in fuel. when water gets clogged even in spark plugs the engine shudders and jerks heavily. the spark plug may even short in bad cases.

you can easily make it out by pulling out the spark plugs and seeing the burnt residue color.

empty and clean the tank if traces of water are found.
  4. sahib1517

sahib1517 Timido

The silencer was vibrating and the gas was not coming out...as if some blockage...now the vibration is gone when car is stalled...but i feel car vibrate on 1gear little bit...
    If i put in more petrol would it help ???
  5. sahib1517

sahib1517 Timido

Hi...I went to TASS yesterday and they just cleaned the tank...replaced petrol filter...got petrol tank full filled...
    After doing this engine still shudders and misses when I pick on 1st gear..car does not picks up on 2nd gear...TASS has asked me to drive car for 1000 kms so that ignition system is flushed and they said doing this engine would get back to normal. Else they saidwould replaced ignition pump.
    Is this right solution ? Would driving it around for 1000 kms clean the ignition pump? please suggest.
  6. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Amatore

Hi has your problem solved? please do let us know.

My punto 1.4 petrol is also facing low pick up in 1st three gears.
    It is not revving freely as before and the gear shift from 1st to 2nd is not smooth too. (CSC has already been replaced in 2nd service 3 months back)

The above symptoms are after a 800km run to my hometown and back. No problems faced in the journey, all started 2 days after I had this trip.
    I have booked an appointment with pandit auto(akurdi).

Thought this thread would best suit my query:anyone
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    I had an unusual experience last week. I was driving over a slight incline that has a traffic signal where I have to take a 90 degree turn. This is my regular route (Pizza Hut signal, Old Airport Road) and I usually drive in the 2nd or 3rd gear at this signal. This time, the signal was green and there less traffic and I was driving in the 4th gear, taking the 90 degree turn at around 40-50 kmph. A girl comes right against on a scooter on the wrong side. I do some maneuvering to avoid (hitting) the scooter and tried to proceed. All of a sudden the car failed to accelerate, steering got tight. I kept the clutch fully pressed and used the momentum to move the car to the side of the road. The steering was still tight and car was not accelerating until I turned off the engine and started again.
    Anyone faced with similar experience or any idea what actually happened?
  8. sungoa2010

Since the vehicle was not accelerating chance is that the problem is with the fuel supply. A fuel pump problem(not able to cope up with sudden variation in pressure) ? Did you notice any abnormal sound while starting like nail scraping accross a black board(for a short time)? This is a symptom of a bad fuel pump.Once in ambolim while suddenly stopped at a hump the car stoped and a message appeared on display.But not able to correlate tightening of steering.