1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Shuddering noise in 2nd/reverse gear

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by tiaf, Mar 29, 2016.

1. tiaf

tiaf Novizio

Chennai
    Hi All,

I have completed 36K kms in my 1.3 MJD.

During recent times, I experience a shuddering noise, mostly in 2nd gear.
    Sometimes this shuddering is felt when I reverse in the slope to take the car out from parking lot. This does not happen in other gears.

Is this a case of worn out clutch?
    I do not experience any loss in power/mileage so far.
    Gear shifts too are not hard and I do not find anything unusual.

I took my car to Ramkay and service advisor says clutch needs replacement.
    He quotes 9k for clutch replacement.

While preparing the job card he was quick to add ac disinfectant, silencer cleaning/coating, and brake cleaning with an estimate of more than 1K for each item and this would add some 3.5k in service bill. Looks like most service centers of all cars do this. At least he could have informed these are optional.

I said that ac disinfection, brake cleaning and silencer jobs need not be done.
    I also said no need to change clutch as of now.

Clutch replacement was around 7K earlier. Can some one please confirm the cost (spares + labor) ?

I am not very sure if the clutch related diagnosis is right. Can someone suggest any workshop around OMR where I can get a second opinion ?

Regards
  2. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Tell me about the tires on your car.. how are they.. what condition. If the tires are worn out.. chances are that you will feel this every time you slip into a lower gear/with more torque ...
  3. tiaf

tiaf Novizio

Chennai
    @viveksonkhla , thanks for your reply, got the vehicle back from service.
    Service bill was 7.7K (as against the estimate of 11-12K when unwanted items were added)

The SA said they tightened some engine guard to attend to this issue.
    The shuddering noise has disappeared now, or at least it did not appear so far.
    I got to check while reversing down the parking lot.
    Tyres need to be replaced, only little tread left. I was waiting to complete 40K kms before replacement.

I do not notice any issue related to clutch, still confused why SA asked to go for clutch change!
    He tried slotting to reverse gear (and other gears too) while vehicle was at idling and immediately said clutch needs replacement.
    As of now I am still thinking if I need to replace clutch or to continue with stock clutch.
    Experts, please help on the correct diagnosis for clutch wear.
  4. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    According to these service advisers ... my car needed Clutch replacement 2 years back.... :) My car has done 75K KM by now ..hoping to do some 80K before i think of clutch replacement.... Use your clutch till the time you can engage a gear with relative ease and car picks up all right....

36K is a decent mileage for your tires... I suggest replace them...

How old is your car?
    I suggest check your car's Engine mountings.. may be they need to be replaced. That causes engine shuddering and vibrations ...They usually need to be replaced after 4 years...or 60K KM....
  5. tiaf

tiaf Novizio

Chennai
    @viveksonkhla My car is 2.5 years old, ya got to change tyres soon.
    The shuddering noise is totally gone after the service, where in they had tightened engine guard.

I am planning to continue with the stock clutch, as I do not find any issue with the same.