1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Should we allow / not allow posting of High Speed Runs / Pictures?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by amogh, Dec 26, 2013.

Should posts / pictures of high speed driving be allowed?

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
  2. No

15 vote(s)
  1. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi All,

There has been a lot of discussion about whether moderating posts and/or pics of high speed runs is required. The issue has primarily two sides to it:

1. A post or a picture of somebody driving at high speeds means nothing. For e.g. If I am doing 150 kmph on an empty stretch of road with nobody in sight that is probably safe. However if I am doing it on a highway with traffic that probably is unsafe.(Yes! a tyre burst at 150 kmph can be fatal than if it happens at 80 kmph. But then this list can be endless).

2. Such posts / pictures might inspire somebody to match / beat the high speed figures and hence they "promote" high speeds. But then, by that logic, all of us should collectively boycott the entire "Fast & Furious" movie series and numerous other television shows & films that broadcast high speed driving and stunts.

Honestly, I as an individual, don't care. If somebody gets inspired (in the wrong way) after looking at a 170 kmph speedo pic and ends up in a ditch trying to emulate the feat its his stupidity. As mentioned in the off topic thread : I do not drive above a certain speed no matter what the circumstance (unless I am driving on a race track).

So let's just end this debate once and for all by voting. Give us your choice: Are you OK or NOT OK with having posts that talk about or pics that show high speed driving.

It would also be good if you explain your rationale behind your vote.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    7 people like this.
  2. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Keeping the thread open for comments.

Any debates, one on one attacks, trolling will not be tolerated

Give your opinion and move on
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Good topic to discuss.

Though I have added one picture of Avg. Speed.

I would like to to say this is not an achievement or this will not prove anything. As our cars can achieve such speeds but we don't have such tracks in India.

So my opinion is not to share such things as well as such discussions too. :)
    3 people like this.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Voted YES, because posting it is not going to make any member/guest more stupider to attempt high speeds, just because of the pic.

I would also like to say that, in case the decision is a NO, nothing pertaining to high speeds should be entertained. That would be a fair world.
    5 people like this.
  5. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

I'm not sure Why this opposition to post high speed runs or pictures ?
    As an auto enthusiast, I would love to know the minimum and maximum capacity of a machine (if a driver is a crackpot and trying to imitate without skill and understanding of his environment, then god help)

many might have have seen the program on BBC called Top Gear, they do drive the cars all the time and explain how different cars fare and rank them..... How many got influenced by seeing that program and tried to imitate it ? I am sure there would be none.

hence with required precaution and suitable disclaimers, we should allow posting of pics which otherwise gets moderated !!
    3 people like this.
  6. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Not all human beings are alike. Maturity levels vary and so does the capacity to assimilate what's good or bad. Though I personally won't try and emulate a high speed run just by being inspired by a picture, I'm convinced that I lie in the minority. Aping something is part of human behaviour, so is curiosity. A person might achieve a speed of 170+ kmph in his car and post a picture as proof of that. This I'm pretty sure will arouse the curiosity of some other person who might have achieved a lesser speed. A person with a lesser driving skill, trying to trump the others, might end up harming himself and others due to his recklessness/carelessness.
    If everyone were responsible and mature, there would be no need for governance or rules. It's for the benefit of the general mass that rules are made. A select 'mature' few cannot expect everyone to 'behave' just because they do. 'Rules', by definition, are for those that need to be governed.
    This is my humble view. Hence I voted "NO".
    1 person likes this.
  7. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Voted Yes.
    The age old debate, should there be a rule or will good sense prevail. With respect to pictures being posted of speed I really don’t think we should set up any hard and fast rule? Why?

• When someone does post something related to speeding I have mostly noticed a debate on that subject in the forum. I am pretty sure people would read through the whole thread before taking any stupid decisions and trying to emulate it.
    • How do you decided what speed is not allowed? Most roads in the city and suburbs have a 40kmph speed limit (OMR in Chennai is a prime example of a good road with not much traffic on weekends with a 40Kmph limit), so now do u remove any pictures of anybody doing 100 kmph on that road? Or would you want to remove the picture of someone doing 200 kmph on an autobahn? How do you draw the line on what is fast?
    I strongly believe that good sense would always prevail.
    Having said all this I have no problems even if the decision is a "No" as I completely understand why a forum would not want to encourage over speeding. Lets hope that people show a little bit of maturity and we don't have to start framing rules for everything.
    1 person likes this.
  8. C_S

C_S Amatore

I have Voted a "No". This forum entertains audience across age groups with a varied backgrounds,maturity and responsibilities.

My take is we should avoid any iota of a chance for someone to get in to trouble. Not this this will stop people doing crazy speeds, at-least we should not contribute to such a disaster. I have also crossed the line few times some years back, Was not matured enough to understand the risk i was taking. No more going overboard. I now prefer to be a High-Miler.

In my opinion this is too trivial to entertain a huge discussion/poll on this, not sure how much of an impact this is going to have on the roads.. anyways .. Hope results of this poll does not snowball in to a few more rules, where before posting a user will need to read through a plethora of rules...
  9. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    I am not in for moderation of these high speed picture ban which might encourage people to do death defying stunts. Yes a forum should promote responsible driving but it surely can't babysit someone. I have my reasons for it.

1. If seeing high speed videos or picture encourages someone to do the same, then he is not fit for driving a car for the simple reason that he is not responsible enough for himself and for the other people on road. Be mature and then go behind a steering wheel.

2. Just like tired of saying not to drive on high-beam in city road or wear seat-belt for safety, one cannot spoonfeed someone to be responsible.

3. Allowing someone to post a high speed pic does not mean TFI is promoting that you to do so. If someone cannot get this simple fact, then he should stop using internet for videos in YouTube or fast-car chase movies because there are plenty of sources where you can get influenced.

4. So stop passing the buck to some forum or moderators and be responsible. Your life is in your own hand.
    2 people like this.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

I voted for yes.

Once, I did 180 kmph in my Linea. While I drove in that speed for a fraction of minute, my daughter captured that moment on a video cam. It goes without saying that I did on a safe, deserted, traffic-free, one-of-the-good, straight road in a day time. Some months back, I started a thread titled 'Odometer Shots' in a photography section and posted that video-grab showing that speed as my opening post. That nascent thread was immediately deleted and my photograph was moved to some other existing thread. Later, that photograph was totally deleted. My grouse was not against the rule per se banning such photographs or references, but the application of the rules. Posting messages/pics containing very high rpms, indirect reference to triple-digit speeds, reaching a particular distance in a particular time - which translate into more than the specified speed limit - are allowed freely. Let us do some soul-searching: how many of us scrupulously follow the speed-limit of 80 kmph specified for most of the sections of 4-lane highways? I don't. My minimum speed on a 4-lane highway is 100 kmph. Am I irresponsible? I don't think so. Am I careless? Definitely not. Preaching on a Internet forum is one thing, but following it scrupulously on a highway is totally different. Let us be practical. I feel that members of TFI are mature enough to have their own ways of driving and maintaining their FIATs. I don't ape others for headlamp or performance upgradation/AIR just because many others have them.

I will be happy, if the majority decides in favour of yes. In such case, the objectionable photograph of mine would become an accepted photograph eligible for publication. :) No regrets, in case of adverse verdict. The so-called objectionable photograph of mine is still sitting pretty in many fora including TFI! ;)
    9 people like this.