1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

should Punto FGT be replaced by VGT

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Sumit, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    i think Punto FGT shud be replaced by VGT coz Fiat is a premium car. all other cars which has FGT has a price tag below 5 lakhs. swift, ritz & vista. Punto FGT shud also have a similar price tag and if it has to be above 5 lakhs then it has to be the VGT. Fiat shud give its premium engine for premium price.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Swift has got a VGT I guess. At least I saw VGT in their brochure. :confused
    Fiat is trying hard to keep prices to the minimum. Punto with i20/Polo like interiors and VGT deserves to go in Jazz's price range.

They can not do this. Or they will have to reduce features. Just like Hyundai did with i20 CRDi Asta(O) which was discontinued.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @PaddleShifter
    Swift have FGT
    Punto can't have price tag like Swift, Ritz, Figo because it uses much better metal, is bigger and have much more features than all those.
    Compare Punto with i20 and Polo
  4. deepakhon

deepakhon Amatore

Bangalore
    It is news to me that Swift has VGT.

In my opinion, the 76 hp FGT should be replaced with 93 ps VGT.
  5. keshav

keshav

Bangalore
    No. It shouldn't be. From Test drive reports it's clear that VGT makes a difference only at the top end. No point in paying extra money(almost 50k) for a marginal performance improvement. Instead FIAT should do modifications to existing FGT, so that it's at least as quick as the Punto's sold outside India(with same engine). They can continue to position the more powerful 90HP at higher price.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, that is what I said above.

Fiat is trying to keep the prices closer to cars like i20 and marginally above Swift.
    Otherwise, a Punto with good quality interiors deserves to be in Jazz's price range.

I've never compared Punto with Swift, Figo or Ritz. Those who compare Figo/Swift with Punto always go with Figo/Swift.

I compare Punto with only i20 and Polo. Not even Micra. Jazz is a category above Punto/Polo/i20 within premium hatchbacks with no other car in that category.

Swift has FGT then. My bad. Sorry guys. But still Fiat can't let go off FGT as it is struggling with prices already with their cars that are offering much more for that price.
  7. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    I am for taking out FGT. VGT has failed to capture the imagination as a cut above the rest. There is no point in continuing with FGT and confuse the customer. Cut the FGT and bring VGT to the price point of current FGT.
  8. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    i think its the best thing that can happen to Punto. Punto VGT at current FGT price and current trim levels- active , dynamic and emotion will make it a real VFM and will justify the price tag which Punto commands. it will create niche for itself as the most powerful diesel car in its segment. Punto FGT at 4.5 lakhs makes more sense. it will cover the void created by phasing out Palio. Fiat will just need to bring the new Uno in the 3.5 -4.5 lakh category.
  9. How come Swift D and VGT are related? I know only about FGT Swifts, am I missing something?
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No you are not. Swift doesn't have VGT.