1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Should I replace the Goodyear Duraplus tyres?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by thefiatguy, Jan 3, 2014.

1. thefiatguy

thefiatguy Novizio

I am getting my Punto 90hp Sport deilvered tomorrow. It comes with "Goodyear Duraplus" tyres

Should I exchange them?

I read some reviews saying these tyres are only built to last, grip and ride comfort not the purpose.

Please suggest.
  2. Ride on it for 30-40000 kms and then take a call, changing tires invites unnecessary scratches to alloys. The tires are good and not bad as they are showcased
    2 people like this.
  3. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

Congratulations on Your Punto 90 HP. I have a Punto Emotion 76HP. It has come with the same Goodyear Duraplus tyres. What i have felt in my 4500kms of running is that the tyre has a relatively much better grip than JK tyres (in other variants) . The only issue i am facing is the tyre noise. At high speeds some times such noises are very undesirable. Though people here are advocating much for Michelin and Yokohama, The experts can give some better advice.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    If you are looking for comfort tyres, change it immediately after delivery, to get maximum buy-back. You can choose from Michelin Primacy 3ST, Michelin XM2 , Yokohama AVS DB, Bridgestone MY02 etc. All these are nice tyres.
    But if you are looking for life, leave it and use the stock Duraplus.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Goodyear tyre noise is more than others. Does not mean other tyres are dead silent. My opinion do not change the tyres. Instead use some background music if the background hum at high speeds is getting annoying. The grip of these tyres is good and offers skid free performance in wet conditions. Just keep the tyre pressures in range.
    Durability factor will ensure that the tyres can take on some rough terrain (read Indian Roads) :D

Heart sent via Tapatalk for our mutual benefit..!
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    @thefiatguy- My Punto came with Goodyear GT3 tyres and that lasted 42000Km. I have again opted for Goodyear GT3 considering the type of roads they withstood in rural Haryana. Road noise was also never an issue for me as I drive with music and road noise is apparent on concrete roads more as compared to roads made of tar. Tyres contribute significantly to the cost of ownership and I believe in getting tyres that are VFM and offer a mix of everything and good grip for sure.

My dad recently bought his first car and it came with JK tyres. We again went for Goodyear GT3 only.

Only one difference between Goodyear GT3 and Goodyear Duraplus:

Though both have same price tag in the market, Goodyear Duraplus come with a warranty of 1,00,000Km (Yes 1 lac Km warranty) and have warranty even against cuts. Does that mean that the tyres are harder and might have a bit more road noise as compared to GT3?

If you listen to music at a volume of 8 or more then road noise wont be heard with even the cheapest brand of tyre.

If you decide to change the tyres, then consider getting it done right after delivery by going to the tyre shop.
    - The more you drive, the lesser the buy back for old tyres.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    The stock tyres are decent enough taking into many parameters of tyre life, grip, handling, road noise, ruggedness, etc. The best compromise is made by the manufacturer, however this might not suit ones requirement. Some may want super grip at the cost of life and vice versa.

Now to your question of should you replace the OEM tyres, the call is entirely yours based on your requirement. If you have something specific in mind, then folks out here might be able to help you. But if you need exchange of the tyre, do it right away after delivery to get the best buy back value.
    1 person likes this.
  8. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Drive it with the OEM tyres and later plan to replace.

I have used good year tyres since my Palio days and even the new ones I went with GY and very happy with their performance. I drive all windows up, hence not much worried about noise caused by the GY's