1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

should i remap my punto 1.3

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by rajeev21698, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    IMHO, first one should go for AIR and other mods like porting/polishing, FFE etc etc.

remap should be done after this to compliment the above mods.
  2. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Apologies for that Italia-Linea but I don't believe that Remap should be the last one.

For one reason - When you are talking about porting and polishing you are opening the engine and modifying the engine internals. Yes you are right when you say AIR should be first but as per me we can work on the remap directly post the AIR. Listed below is the understanding:

With the AIR you are giving more air to the engine for combustion. Hence with a proper remap you will be able to use this to more benefit than the standard / stock map.

Also remap and AIR are easier to go back to stock than the engine internal mods. With the engine internal mods You are only inviting trouble with warranty if your car is new or still under warranty.

Hence my suggestion is

1. AIR
    2. FFE
    3. Remap

2 and 3 are interchangeable. These 3 mods will make your car :dance

Kailash
  3. Italia-Linea

Pune
    You dint get my point here.

suppose you are targetting a race track or speed runs, you know for sure that you need mods to internals of your engines too.

What you mentioned was Stage 1 mods which most of the general public prefer- including me

for stage 2 mods after the AIR and FFE(which complement each other) people will but obvious go for porting polishing, upgraded ignition systems etc etc.

after this the remap must be done as this will take care of the mods already done to the car. same case when you turbo the car.

so yes- if only stage 1 is considered then you can go in for air, ffe and then remap before even porting polishing

but when you are targeting a total mod job then remap will go at last after all the mods are done to your car to juice out the best power from it.

regarding warranty- anyways you will loose it with Air and FFE too, unless they dont detect it.

once the warranty is over and if i want my car to be a race horse i should do all the mods first and then go for the remap which will account for all the parameters that complement these mods.

so depending on the different stages of mod, remap lies at the last of every stage.
  4. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    On a turbo Diesel you will have to spend a lot of money to et it ported and flowed. By then it would be better to go for a standalone ECU than trying to re-map ther stock one.

The stock 1248cc M-Jet engine comes with 105bhp in the Lancia Musa and Fiat has got a sequential turbo on the shelf that brings the engine up to 120bhp. If money is no object and I mean no object then you are right. But for us mortal beings it is quite some money to be spent, which would not warrant the investment.

Talking about the 1.4 normally aspirated engine, you can do a porting and flowing. But this is rather costly to start with. If you want to get proper torque figures you will have to go to a much higher compression ratio other than doing a proper AIR and PE. This unfortunately means upgrading the engine internals, which is quite costly. Failing to do so might send a conrod through the crank case. You can use the turbo conrods and crank, but then you need to get them on an expensive diet.

I love doing performance tuning, but then it has to be affordable.
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    :drinks :clap :clapping

Make it "Affordable (Indian version)" :)
  6. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    I do my best. If I made the AIRs with the profit margin K&N makes (percent wise) they would cost about 3 times as much.

W"ith the re-maps we are cheaper than anyone in India too.

Also I will not sell any stuff that is useless like fuel pressure regulators etc. for cars with stock fuel pumtp etc.
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    ^^^^
    this sounds good. a k&N filter without a correct pipe design will be useless.

i loved the design of air that you have showcased. are you sourcing them? or molding them yourselves?
  8. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai

All the AIR are hand-made with lot of precision and hard-work. We do not source them but we do source the raw materials like the silicon etc :)
  9. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Stupid as I am I design the tubing AND blooming make them. I hate the guts of it by now. The smell of silcon makes me sick. The only thing I like about it at the moment is to design the stuff. Making the tooling for them is some sort of okay. By now I am not even getting exited anymore testing the stuff. However, it is a challenge and when the customers are happy with the results I am smiling too. :wink: