1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

should i remap my punto 1.3

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by rajeev21698, Nov 18, 2010.

1. amolmane

amolmane Guest

To
    deepakhon

There is no relation of remapping & Short gear ratio

Remapping can not hide the 1st & 2nd short gears of punto.

Because of remapping you will get only more pulling power in 1st & 2nd.

If you remapp ecu,additional fuel will be used only to increase power & torque of engine.

Fiat has kept 1st & 2nd gear ratio of Punto to pull its bulky weight easily as compared to Swift. :)

You might have observed that because of Tall gear ratio of swift,it travells fast in 1st & 2nd gear

Formula of Gear Ratio
    Short gear ratio = less speed & more pulling torque
    Tall Gear ratio = more speed & less pulling torque

Due to tall gear ratio, in 1st & 2nd gear swift fails to pull weight as compared to Punto. :uh

Maruti always keeps Tall Gear Ratio to achieve Fuel Efficiency right from 1st gear.

Because Maruti has identified pulse of Middle class Indian Customer. So in all models Maruti keeps always Tall Gear Ratio from 1st to 5th gear

Because of Tall Gear Ratio of Swift,in city you have to change gears frequently as compared to Punto.

Fiat has kept short gear ratio to minimise gear changes & to minimise Turbo lag also. ::O

Swift lacks pulling power in 1st & 2nd whereas Punto wins the pulling race in 1st & 2nd.

1st & 2nd gears of Punto are bigger than Swift. So in city you have to touch gear leaver less.

By remapping you will get more speed only in 3rd,4th & 5th cog of Punto
  2. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    The Punto/Linea 1.3 with the 75bhp engine in Europe is considered underpowered, which is the reason for the short gear ration. Re-mapping would not change the ratio problem. But what you can do after a re-map is driving along at very low rpm in higher gear and then put the foot down and the car will still accelerate pretty fast.
  3. deepakhon

deepakhon Amatore

Bangalore
    @drifter and @amolmane,

I get it now. Thanks for the explanation.
  4. rajeev21698

rajeev21698 Novizio

Firozabad
    hi friends suggest me a tuining box other than pets :redcar
  5. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    I wouldn't recommend any tuning box. Re-map is the way forward.
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    1.where can i do a remap of my punto 90hp (d) in india.

and can i expect even better drive ability. like more mid end torque

my present punto 90hp revs something like a petrol car, it needs constant push on accelerator else it slows down gradually which directly means getting low fe.

getting a fe of 21+ if driven at 70kmph but i need to be very carefull on pedals else it will come down . so anykind of mod to make it easy driving on such speeds?

2. at 2500rpm there is too much engine sound heard ,which i believe is due to resonance or inadequate dampeners for engine. but pre and post 2500rpm it sounds smooth and refined is there anything which can be done on that? as 2000-2500 is most used rpm in indian roads. could that resonance be pushed further to 3k-4krpm?
  7. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    I am coming down to Bangalore in April and would not mind to come over to re-map it.

The driveability will improve and so will fuel consumption.
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    thank you drifter for that promp reply.

i am very much looking forward for your arrival . please, if you don't mind can you be more specific regarding your charges,venue ,time et al. so i could be prepared . most probably i wont be in india by april but i would not like my punto to miss the opportunity of visiting you.

one more question please:

do you feel or have you observed, whether present generation punto or fiat cars are flawed .as i see lot of people raising fingers .
    other than those fit n finish mismatch i havent felt any kind of issues with my punto yet shall i expect some?
  9. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    The engine is very good. You should not have any issues with it when using the right oil and service it accordingly. The EGR is an issue, but this is virtually with all Diesel engines on the market.

We charge 21k for the re-map. In a short while we should also have an AIR available to push the power even further.
  10. Let me know when you are in Bangalore, would like to meet you and understand ECU remapping for my 90 HP Punto.