1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Should I install a CNG kit in my linea?

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by newlinea, Jun 26, 2012.

1. newlinea

newlinea

Hi All,

I am a proud owner of Fiat Linea (2009) model, and very happy with the car, but with the constant hike in fuel prices is getting me worried.

So i was searching for alternative work around for this fuel price hikes, first thought that came to me was changing my car, but I love my car too much to change, so I dropped the idea. The last resort for me seems like is looking for alternative fuel options, that thats what my question is, should I install CNG gas kit in my car?

The doubts that I have, after installing the cng are
    • how much performance decrease is there with CNG?
    • does CNG decreases the engine life?
    • does CNG really decreases the running cost of a car?
    • how much maintenance is required for CNG?
    • does installing CNG requires more maintenance for car?
    Can anyone with expertise in this area share their thoughts/people who already have done this experiments, can you share your experience with all of us?
  2. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Before Installing CNG Remember:

1. It Takes up your boot space
    2. Slight loss of power
    3. More visits to the gas station as each 8kg odd fill is good for 140 odd km only.
    4. Longer queues for gas.
    5. CNG is available in only few cities/ states in India. So, it matters where you stay and how many highway trips you do.

So, in a nutshell, convert to CNG , if:
    1. You plan to keep your car for more than 3 years.
    2. You drive more than 1500Km per month.
    3. You have enough CNG outlets in your area.
    4. You are OK with slight loss of power and major loss of boot space.

The biggest benefit of installing CNG is that your running cost comes down to about Rs.2.2 per km from Rs.7 per km with petrol.

All above data based on my experience with my Linea which continues to run on petrol and my friends ANHC that we converted to CNG for office use. We get a consistent Average of 17-18km/kg in Mumbai city at cost of Rs.34 per kg of gas.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    2 people like this.
  3. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    A professionally fitted CNG kit should not cause any problems to the engine. I would suggest a Sequential CNG where the performance loss will feel minimal. As the cng cylinder when fully loaded weighs 75odd KG , the rear suspension does get an extra load that may reduce the life of the shock absorbers etc. , but these are not necessarily true and you can manage this by not overloading your car.

The maintenance does not necessarily go up. You have to, however, pay additional 2000 odd for insurance and this will be an additional amount every year while renewing.

These are all compromises to achieve just one thing - Lower running cost.
    So, Its all about your choice you see.

The point is - with CNG , we atleast have a choice. To use it or not has to be made after deciding what's more important for you out of the above mentioned points

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. newlinea

newlinea

Thanks for all your information, it was very helpful to take up the decision... Based on your comments I have finally decided to go ahead and install CNG kit in my car...

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Thank you for such detailed information...
    1 person likes this.
  5. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    That is a Good Decision Newlinea :up

Also check out the below thread for some more useful info from the CNG Linea users in TFI ...

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/engine-dr...linea-delhi-hell-india-cnged-my-linea-12.html

Maybe the mods want to merge this thread there...

All the best with your CNG conversion. You haven't mentioned where you are from
  6. newlinea

newlinea

Thanks for sharing the discussion thread.. It boosted my confidence on my decision...

I am originally from Pune and as you mentioned I already checked the CNG gas stations in and around the city, there arent much but enough for me to stick to my decision.. :)

Thanks for all your information...
    1 person likes this.
  7. Prashant

Prashant

Pune
    Newlinea, can you please share the dealer name and cost of the installation? Also did you go for a sequential or a conventional kit?
    I am also from Pune and also interested in converting my petrol linea to CNG.
  8. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)
    Hey,

Even I was thinking of this option for my active 1.2 Petrol Punto but with Mr. Shahjahan urf Fastlove's explaination it makes sense not to put it ... You still have the beer irrespective of the Price.... LOL...
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ranmay

Ranmay Timido

Gurgaon
    Linea 1.4
    Hi,

Even I wish to install CNG in my Fiat Linea 2009 Model. Kindly request you to advise an authentic dealer for the same. Please let me know if I should go for it in the first place. My only concern being - Increased maintenance cost, engine's life and most importantly since it is a 09 model, 2-3 installers have told me that on paper the sequential kit was not approved before 2010 march , hence I would have to go for a conventional one. Now my question is, will the conventional kit be fine with Linea 09 model. Look forward to your expert advise. Kindly suggest. I really need it since CNG installation in itself is a huge thing for me considering the price as I am a student.
    Please feel free to reach out to me on 8750073303. I stay in Delhi NCR. Else please your numbers, I can call you up as well.

Regards
    Ranmay