1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

short Distance runing of multijet

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by vishal_tomar, Dec 4, 2013.

1. vishal_tomar

vishal_tomar Timido

Vadodara
    vadodara
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello Every one

hope all of your fiats are roaring on Roads . i have a question or doubt in that is it really harmfull to drive multijet punto or deisel car for shorter distance e.g 3.7 km one side , although i never take off just after start but gives 1 or 2 minute to circulate Lube oil properly acroos the engine . my punto is 1.5 years old.

2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Hi Vishal I think there wont be any harm to drive a diesel car for shorter distance as you have habit to keep your car idle for 1 or 2 mins after cold start.

Naughty from Gujrat TFI member also drives for short distance, if I am not wrong.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Not a problem at all Vishal, while stopping the car however, try to give it a 40 sec to minute idle before stopping the car.
    That way the turbo charger life will be better.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

It won't cause any problems, but:

The engine would always be running below optimum temperature because of which the FE would be lower.

Take her out on the highways every now and then. Atleast once in two weeks, a short drive of 20kms would even do, keep the revs at 3k for atleast 30 seconds in 4th or fifth gear. ;)
  5. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    why would you want to drive for such a small distance? you will be burning more fuel in idling and parking than actual kms covered.
    Save the same fuel and enjoy it in weekends.
    Even in manual it says avoid short trips, walk or cycle for better health and environment.:p
    2 people like this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yep. It's not ideal. The engine and the engine oil wouldn't even reach proper operating temperature. When the engine oil does not reach proper operating temperature a lot of condensation accumulates in it which leads to rapid degradation of the oil. And ofcourse an engine which never gets to warm up properly will not be a happy engine.

See if you can utilise some other means of transport.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    In Mumbai with traffic and signal and idling it somehow shakes up the engine to keep it running well without degradation .. it can still mean 25-30 mins run for small distances.

Sent from my Micromax A50 using Tapatalk 2
  8. rainy

rainy Amatore

Bangalore
    @Gurjinder - are there long term impacts to mechanical parts? Apart from the fact that degraded oil will mess things up that is.
  9. dnyanesh666

dnyanesh666

Mumbai
    It should not matter much. It is but obvious that you will have a lower FE. Try not to use it outside the turbo band for such a short distance. This will not only give you a better FE but also enable you to cut down the idling time before turning off the engine. You do not need to idle the engine immediately after starting, instead keep driving on lower rpm for about a minute or two.
  10. vishal_tomar

vishal_tomar Timido

Vadodara
    vadodara
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thanks to all for precious openion , i am now in better situation to take decision .

thanks alot