1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Shoddy Work by Balaji Fiat Turbhe-Pls help

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sanjeev, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Hello guys,
    Need some help here.
    I have a punto 90hp which I had given for timing chain replacement in balaji turbhe.
    After I drove it back to my home I noticed a stench of diesel in the cabin. Gave it back to them yesterday and got to know that the mechanic while replacing the timing chain fiddled with the injector pipe to the rail (3rd injector). he somehow tightened it in a wrong way because of which the thread slipped, diesel was leaking from there and getting spilled onto the hot engine which caused the stench. I was present during the whole investigation yesterday.
    Now they will be replacing the rail along with injector pipes..and as usual they dont have it in stock..

The questions/concerns I have :
    1) how big a concern it is??
    2) changing the whole rail will solve the problem I guess but can it lead to some further damage? (in terms of its compatibility with the injectors et al.)
    3) what options do I have ? :(

thanks in advance for all the replies..
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

He might have over torqued it, the rail being of alluminium is very sensitive. Its good you did not get stranted on road because of it as there were very high chances of air getting into fuel system. Why did the mechanic fiddle with the injector pipe at all its not required to be touched while replacing timing chain.
    No further damage will happen after the rail and injector pipes are changed.
    I hope they are doing it for free and not taking money from you.
    What type of rail did your car have the one which is shiny and round or hot forged alluminium type which have bigger threads and matte look like engine head.
    2 people like this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

One thing for sure.

Bring this issue to Fiat India's notice. This is a serious case of untrained manpower who are fiddling with things which are supposed to be left alone for a specific repair job. Thankfully you werent on the streets when the diesel spillage happened and it could have been disastrous.
    1 person likes this.
  4. yes you are correct, they overtorqued it..i asked them the same thing as why did the mechanic fiddled it.. they mentioned about some kind of lock (maclock or something like that,can't recall now) which is present in the backside below the rail as well also in the front side and which needs to be opened to set the timing chain...
    yes they are doing it for free

mine one is i guess is ths shiny round and long pipe like stuff made by bosch.

do you think i should get a written assurance from FIAT(completely on their mercy though) for any future problems which may arise due to this change ??

- - - Merged Post - - -

yes i have already done that...
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Yes theres camshaft locking hole present below rail at back and above glow plugs at front but my chain was changed without removal of rail though service manual does ask for removal of rail. They removed the metal plate on which the the rail is bolted.
    There would not be any future problems due to rail change, its just a pipe with 6 holes 4 outlets ,1 inlet and 1 for pressure sensor it should just not leak.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014