1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Shocker in Life ( Tyre worn out 18k km )

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Pauleralil, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    Hi TFi'ans

Last saturday was preparing my car for 400km run.. As i was not happy with the wheel balancing and alignment work done be Concorde Kochi, so I decided to do an independent alignment and balancing under my supervision. Took the car to the New Bharath tyres ( panagad br), kochi and as the technicians removed the rear tyre i got the :eek: of my life.. side walls of the right rear wheel has completely worn out. I could see the thread on the side walls while the remaining tyre has good life left...there is slight wear out on the left rear tyre as well but not as bad as the right side.. I think this tyre was replaced from front to the back during my last service at TASS.

The alarming fact is that even after seeing such wear out of tyre TASS didnt bother to atleast change the side facing the road:A. They merely shifted the fronts tyres to the rear and rear one to front and said slight wear out of tyres. They were not at all serious about this fact...I felt like:punch those tass guys after seeing the tyres.. I have been told to change the tyres after 2500-3000km. Planning to buy a new Accelere tyre which can be used along with the spare.. and the less worn out one I will use as the spare tyre..

I am terrible sad abt this situation partly due to my fault of not doing the alignment at regular intervals..Can anyone suggest the intervals to do the alignment so that i dont repeat this mistake...

Also checked out the cost of Michelin Primacy LC tyres.. New Bharath Quoted 5700 while for accelere they quoted 5000.. If anyone has purchased michelin please do let me know at what cost you have bought them
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    FIAT service coupon booklet specifies free wheel alignment during the free services. Afterwards, get it done at least once in 5 k km. My Linea's stock Good Year GT3 tyres have completed 46 k km and still have 4 mm deep tread.
    2 people like this.
  3. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    J Ravi sir.. my all my other tyres have good long life left.. only 1 of them has gone really bad and that too on the side walls.. The wheel alignment guys have now put the tyres in such way that the worn out side has less contact/pressure and i can squeeze out what ever life in them.. by looking at the thread depth on the same wheel i just feel like :hit myself for not doing the alignment when my car crossed 10k km :(
    1 person likes this.
  4. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

I will agree with Ravi sir, keep an interval off 5k..

my left rear tyre has uneven tyre ware on the outside.. and i have taken it to concord and they say they have to do alignment and have to do correction.. or else have change the twist beam..
  5. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    Me too have same problem as rear tyres especially on the right side has worn out from outside for 3-4 cm wide.. no problem from that point onwards. There is nothing much harm done one the other 3 tyres due to the bad wheel alignment. Its only 22k in the odo.. I think wheel alignment works in TASS is not satisfactory..
  6. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Can you put up some photos? as its not clear how come side walls get worn out. Is it inside surface or outside? also is it rubbing something?

Kiran
  7. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I believe that the GT3 are asymmetric tyres (please correct me if I am wrong). Since it is not a unidirectional tyre it can be put anywhere, but the side facing the road shall always remain the same. If the side facing the road has to be changed, then the tyre shall have to be removed from the rim and again put back.

Question to all tyre gurus: Is it ok to change the sides (i.e. running the side mentioned as outside on the inside of the rim) for an asymmetric tyre?
  8. I have done this for one my tyre as it has side wall damage, Ithink they are symmetrical.
  9. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    The webside mentions that GT5 is asymmetrical. Not sure about GT3 though. If they are asymmetrical then reversing them could be harmful and lead to inconsistent handling