1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Shimoga: Land with high spirits

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by zenwalker, Oct 7, 2015.

1. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

With weeks rolled by since my Leh drive, a thirst for driving my car long, kept growing in me. It’s really difficult to stay put without the urge of driving often. Planning for Goa or Udupi or Kodai, finally brought down to Shimoga due to alot of reasons. With just 3 days, the final plan was made and put into action. The credit goes to our master planner: HKCrazy. The 2 guys drove down my house from there we decided to start off our journey by evening. Around 8 we left bangalore towards Davangere: which was HKCrazy’s home town. There we took some rest and decided to depart in the morning towards shimoga.

Next morning, we straight drove towards shimoga. The Davangere – Shimoga state highway is pathetic, wonder what the road transport ministry is working on. The drive was slower than the usual, with that hour of the day, thankfully traffic at zilch.

Awaiting for a fuel station to open

Driving slowly and the early day light gave us some beautiful views of the landscape all around the route.

The vast green backdrop gave an awesome clarity along with the beautiful day light against my beautiful girl ;)

The next few hours, the drive went on with cursing the damned govt. Finally we reached shimoga and as planned, we straight away reached to exquisite

After 2 hours of just watching the baby elephants cute moves, the bigger ones close by, feeling them and discussing with the care takers. The time came up for the elephants to take a final dip in the water and off to the forest for the rest of the day.

With final adieu to these amazing creatures; they were off to the forest, and with a lot of sadness filled in our hearts due to their captivity than let free in the wild (damn humans), we then departed towards a nearby bird sanctuary.

There were not alot of birds here, yet managed to get few good snaps.

By the time we finished off at this place, it was around 1PM. We decided to straight away drive towards our home stay. Our initial plan was to visit kuvempu’s house at theerthalli and then drive towards koppa, where our homestay resides, but then decided to hit homestay first and have lunch then decide later. The initial plan for us to stay at this home stay for just 1 day and then to other places including udupi.

--- Double Post Merged, Oct 7, 2015 ---
    Hattikulli Home stay:
    This home stay was around 9 kms away from nearest town called “Koppa”. The homestay is in the midst of 100 acre coffee estate. Its run by the owner (Mr. Ruben) himself and they are very kind, caring family.

The road towards the homestay around 3 kms is quite bad, yet the whole ride is worth it.

The main house situated between the lush garden and the whole estate around is just beautiful to look upon

Upper house, family resides

Lower house for bigger crowd

We had a good exquisite lunch, prepared by the lady of the house, her cooking charm made us drowsy in the noon, though we had planned to go for a swimming at a nearby lake, yet the sleep caught us up hard. Thanks to the lady of the house :)

By evening we woke up and we were informed that there is a beautiful sunset view-point with in the estate, we marched towards it. We were right just in the moment for the sunset.

The huge rock at this location, gives one a fine serene place to spend alot of time in the evening. If needed, a tent could be pitched nearby and spend the night. The view around here is amazing.

Around 7ish, we departed back to our rooms. Got refreshed and behold, an unexpected things started to happen. A group of owner: Mr. Ruben, friends came over and before we know, the group got along with us very well and they were very friendly and cordial in their caring to us. Not even an instance, we felt like outsiders.

The night went on and on with awesome food, singing, jokes and mocktails with the crowd.

Day 2:

The next day, we woke up very late and lazy. With all the fun the previous night, we decided to extend the stay here though initial plan was just one day. Considering the hospitality, care, friendliness, openness, homely environment; we decided to not miss another day of this place and people.

After our breakfast, we decided to depart towards the neighboring tea estate, to enjoy the serene beauty, learn the manufacturing of tea, etc. To our bad luck, the manager who was supposed to permit our entry had departed else where on his work, so with disappointment, we departed back to our homestay after spending some time at the estate.

By the time we reached back to the house, the lunch was prepared. We decided to go for swimming in the lake after the lunch. By around 3 we went to the nearby lake to for swimming. The place was even beautiful and secluded, the environment around it is just splendid to spend time at.

Post the swimming, we had a bit of fun trying to fish from a string and a stick. Apparently we got lucky in getting a fish ;)

Reached back late evening to the house and got refreshed. All the friends were back to another round of party. The whole night went awesome with lots of jokes shared around.

Day 3: Last day..

By 9 AM, we were up and ready to depart the place and the family. It was really sad to say goodbye to these amazing people who not just we got acquainted with, but have grown more to be good friends. After breakfast, we left the place towards our next destination as we had planned to do in Day 2, but got postponed.

With Mr. Ruben and his son
    The next stop was Srimane falls, which is near by sringeri. With an hour drive in the ghat roads and traffic, we reached the falls around noon. We spend an hour there with alot of people around :D

Around 2 PM, we departed towards kundadri betta (hills), this hill was near to agumbe, and the view around this is stupendous. We spend an hour or 2 here before we departed. The drive uphill is quite steep and narrow.

Around 4+, we decided to depart from this place towards jogigundi falls, which is just 6 kms before agumbe. The water quantity here wasnt that high, thus the falls looks too poor.

Parking area made her all dirty ;)

Around 630, we left this place towards koppa. There we had dinner and we witnessed a ganesha procession being carried out.

Around 9 PM, the rain started to drizzle, we finally bid adieu to this marvelous land with all the high spirits we enriched ourselves, towards bangalore. The return route upon suggestion from the friends of Hattikulli, we took Koppa – Umblebailu – Tarikere – Badra Dam towards shimoga highway. The route was fantastic and lovely. Loved to drive all the way.

Route map:

Reached bangalore by monday morning around 6. It was a roller coaster ride and trip all together. Planned yet executed very differently, with many unexpected events happening but at last every thing and every moment was most memorable and enjoyable.

If there is a home stay, i ever wish to revisit, not just for location, but for everything including family and friends: its hattikulli. Thanks to every one at this home stay and the new friends we earned here. Hope it continues to stay the same.

Blog: https://adventurouszen.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/shimoga-land-with-high-spirits/

More pics:

Zen :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
  2. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Excellent writeup @zenwalker as usual. Nice snaps...
    zenwalker likes this.
  3. limraj

limraj Superiore

Linea 1.3
    Mattur/Shimog is in my list of places to visit. I have a friend from this place. Thanks for the first peek.
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Thanks himanshu. Glad you liked it.

Sure, post monoon is the best time there. And for a vacation to just lazy around, this places are heaven ;) Glad you liked it.
    Forgot to add this pic to the post.
    Kind of you, if you could merge the above pic to the original post.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Inserted the image to first post as well.

Very nice to see you covering lots of places, one after another.:cool:
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

There you go, I was just wondering there was no travelogue by zenwalker and bang there is one. I envy you man and envy you a lot for getting an opportunity to see such hidden beauties of namma karnataka. The first pic was an absolute desktop worth. The food too looked yummy. Great to see that you have like minded people as friends, don't ever lose them.

Now coming to an Indian question - how much mileage was achieved??
    Deepak likes this.
  7. Omar

Omar Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Stunning travelogue as usual @zenwalker.

Can you please share the accommodation cost at the homestay? Looks very inviting.
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

thanks omar. Glad you liked it.

Sorry that i did not mentioned the price, as it was on purpose. The price factor is variable and i did not wanted to people carry away the same factor when they make a decision to stay yet price is different.

Any ways, the price was 1.7k/head/day with 3 meals + snacks. Believe me, it was total worth it. The hospitality here is too good, have not seen this much else where.

Hahaha godlur, thanks buddy. glad that you guys await for my logues :p. True that i got an amazing team. Sure, you are most welcome to join my band, if you wish to :)
    Yep, did took a small break after my LEH drive, as financial crunch was weighing down on me.
    As towards the mileage. Most of the ghats got 19 due to my crazy fun driving :p But average, 21 max :(

Thank you Ravi.
    Yep one after the other, now there is a down side, got no near ones to cover for 2 days (weekends). Have to repeat it :p Never gets tired of traveling regardless of place :p
    ghodlur likes this.
  9. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Kundadri is an awesome place man. I'm sure you would've enjoyed the uphill driving especially. Was it raining there?
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Yep it was very steep and of course with FIAT, comes intense enjoyment whenever and wherever to drive :D
    Nope, sadly it didnt. But upon return to the foot of the hill, damn rain started :mad:
    The look/view is splendid though.
    vayfiat likes this.