1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Share User Reviews on Punto Evo 1.2 Petrol

Discussion in 'Punto 1.2 Fire' started by Diganta Malakar, Mar 4, 2016.

1. KPR

KPR Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
  2. Kaushal Singh

Kaushal Singh Timido

Faridabad Haryana
    Linea 1.3
    No. I've tied the ends to the loops that hold the rope for Parcel tray.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 14, 2016 ---
    Yes. It runs on Yoko Earth 1 over Plati alloys. You may want to contemplate tyre upgrade considering stock Good Year/JK are quite crappy and does not go well with the handling characteristics of the car.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
  4. Puntom

Puntom Amatore

Thanks for quoting me @varunrtr

I've spent so much time writing about my car in the above link and you say that very less has been written :D
    OK, I'm too lazy to replicate the same on TFI, I accept that :)

Now that you have already decided and booked, just enjoy and don't hear what everyone else has to say.

When I purchased the 1.2 in 2010, it was purely based on my budget.
    My mind agreed that for my budget, it gave me the best mixture of all the things.
    My heart agreed, but just wished that I had more money

But in 2016, the market has moved on a lot more and I cannot say that the 1.2 gives the best of all worlds.
    It still should be a decision driven by your very tight budget.
    If the budget is flexible, and if you still want a fiat, then 1.3 and 1.4 would be recommended.

It is not a bad car by no means. But make sure it suits you:
    after 5 and a half years and 75000Kms with my Punto, I would sum it up as follows
    + Spaciaous
    + Good VFM
    + The famous handling of a fiat
    + Best ground clearance among all Puntos (except avventura)
    + Silent
    + Good looking

- Just 68 Bhp. I upgraded from a 46BHP M800, so that was okay for me
    - AC reduces the pulling power by a big margin
    - If you plan to drive daily to office, FE is only 12kmpl in city and 15kmpl on highway. I don't drive to office, so it was ok.
    - No Emotion variant or option of Airbag and ABS
    - Cannot do any remapping, or I should say, no use remapping.
    - resale value is pathetic. if you buy it, you should use it more than 5 years at least
    - In 2016, feature list is very less compared to competition. Back in 2010, it was just enough for me.
  5. kinetic

kinetic Novizio

Retro / Classic FIAT
    I don't own one but have driven this 1.2 which belonged to a friend on many occasions. The engine is silent and refined. City driving is good and closes gaps in traffic pretty fast. Overtaking on highways should be planned in advance. Best to cruise at sedate speeds. Expect all big and small diesel cars to zoom past by your sides; neglect them.
    The plus side is that this engine is known to live very very long and trouble free life. Reliability is of high order.
    puntophile and prabhjot like this.
  6. Diganta Malakar

Diganta Malakar Novizio

Punto Evo 1.2

Strange thing is my 1.2 petrol is not at all silent !! Is it because its new now ?
  7. kinetic

kinetic Novizio

Retro / Classic FIAT
    Buddy I drive an old school, big size diesel engined car and hence find any petrol to be silent in comparison. If you still feel the 1.2 is noisy then check if fiat has given the under bonnet sound damping on the 1.2 Evo.
  8. renjithlal

renjithlal Novizio

Punto Evo 1.2
    Hai Diganta, first congrats for your Punto ownership. I too own a 1.2 Dynamic for One & a half year. Let me tell u, it is the most under estimated car. (sad part underrated even by hard core punto enthusiasts). 1.2 is just a superb car according to me. I am doing mostly highway drives that too long inter-state drives, often travels from Hubli (Karnataka) to Trivandrum (Kerala) for around 1250 kms. I just mention my experience one by one.
    1. Speed
    Somebody posted here just after reaching 70kmph, the car feel gasping for more. I just wonder something is wrong with that one. Becoz I achieved a speed of 170 kmph (put photos in one thread) that too not with much of effort. 140 - 150 kmph is just easy. Even after 170 kmph I could have gone further, but that is too risky, I thought and stopped there. My Normal speeding in Highways would be 120-130, which is easily achievable. So you can really challenge a Swift (that too diesel) or a Hyundai i10 easily I bet. I think 120-130 kmph would be more than sufficient & safe for any fast drive with more distance to cover, unless u r racing. Normally I would take just 15- 16 hrs to reach home covering this 1250 kms. Twice I done it in a single stretch.

2. Mileage

Mileage is quite good for a petrol gaadi. I got an average mileage of 18.5-19 kmpl (already put photos in one of the thread) for a distance of 75 km drive. I was quite conscious of mileage and did drive sedate & carefully to achieve more. There was less traffic in express way (Hubli - Belgaum highway) and maintained a speed of 90-100. Don't you think 18 -19 kmpl is a bad one for a petrol car. Obviously when pedal more for my long distance drives (120-140 kmph) mileage would come down to 14-16 kmpl. I rate even that is quite good. But city drive may be different, which I refer later.

3. Comfort

It is such a comfortable car. Driver's seat is quite good, good thigh support, no heating, big cosy seats. (reservation for seating position). Even after such very long drives u won't feel that much tried as it normally ought to be. Thanks to those good seats. It is a good spacious car. reasonable space even in rear. Inside u feel big spacey unlike a swift/polo...don't compare it with i10.

4. Handling & breaking

Exceptionally good even in really high speeds. I had a couple of instances where, the car come to absolute stand still even while I was cruising at around 120s, in no time. U don't miss ABS. (which I would really crave for). I still use the stock JK tyres. I feel I should have upgraded to 15 " with some other good brands. It is noisy but still u don't feel missing at curves in high speeds, but just ok.

If I have to talk about cons here are my take.

1. Gear

Though Gear is really smooth, but the precision lacks some times & u will use to that. Sometimes it work as a real spoil sport.

2. Be cautious in overtakes

With just 68 bhp, u cannot expect it to be a 145 Abarth. However it delivers the maximum and u won't believe it is just 68 bhp. Even my friends vouched for that, when tried my steering. But at overtakes u may miss that surge forward which one really desire to have. So be cautious in overtakes & be calculative.

3. Not very cooly A/c

A/c is lacking a bit. But I never felt it affected the engine power anytime. But cooling dynamics is not very high, which could have been better.

4. Interior

Dashboard of EVO is brilliant. However in other gadgets like sun visior, side handles, hooks etc FIAT could have put more attention to the fit & finish. Stereo is just above average. Not that brilliant.

5. Lights, horns etc:
    Even dynamic version lacks fog lamps, rear wipers (in old version it was there). Since lights are not very powerful and I struggled many a time, fog lamp could have been a very useful addition. FASS is not fitting the same arguing it will tamper warrant. Horn felt not so powerful & loud. Again FASS against it citing warranty reason.

5. ABS, Air Bags.

What I really wanted to have ABS & Airbags. It is very sad that 1.2 not at all offering the same. During 2010-12 I think they were offering these in 1.2 as 1.2 Emotion. To get these mandatory safety features, we have to go for 1.4 which sans logic. Car price would be out of our reach to go for 1.4.

6. City ride

In City drive u have to master the gear ratio and ample gearing. Otherwise u feel car is not moving at all. It is a heavy car with heavy steering (though precise wise it is a bliss). So have to used to that in traffic conditions. U feel lucky if u get a mileage of 12-13 kmpl. Don't expect more.

The bottom line, it is a value for money car, that what I believe. As it is priced just below Rs. 5.5 lakhs and quite good when we compare with some other cars in thee same price category. So be happy with your ownership, enjoy & love the car, surely it will return good rewards.
  9. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @renjithlal : very nice review of the petrol 1.2 there. Even i was one among those who had the assumption that 1.2 is very sluggish. But you changed everything. My roommate is looking for a petrol one but i kept pushing him for1.3 MJD, but after reading your review, i would definitely recommend 1.2 . Thanks mate.
  10. Diganta Malakar

Diganta Malakar Novizio

Punto Evo 1.2
    @renjithlal Quick Questions : Assuming yours is Evo Dynamic:

1. Does your Dynamic come with Lights in both Glove Box & Boot ?
    2. Does the storage space on dash come with a lid or without a lid ?