1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Seniors, Need some suggestions.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by yok1987, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Seniors, Need some suggestions.

My Punto MJD has done 39000kms and 54 months now. extended warranty is out by 4 months.

Car is at the Service center for an insurance claim repair (from an incident yesterday)

Problems :
    1. Steering is very tight.
    2. Rear Struts leaking.
    3. Diesel pipe is bent as shown in the picture (SA suggests me to change it as it will break when he'll mend it) - i would like

Parts to be changed (as suggested by the SA),
    1. Rear Struts - Rs. 4500 ( approx 2200 each)
    2. Link Rod - Rs.3000
    3. Stud Pad - Rs.5000
    4. Diesel Pipe - Rs.1900
    5. + Labour charges for all the above

IMG_0525.jpg

I was planning on changing the tyres and dreaming of alloys too and now all that money will go into the above parts.
    + I have been thinking "Why wasnt i informed in the previous services when i was covered in warranty?"

IMG_0527.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am not sure if these items would have been covered under Ex-Warranty, but in any case, I hope Insurance should cover few of these.

And until there is any issue reported, I doubt any service center looks into anything, except changing the oils.
  3. 1. Is it worthwhile changing the Diesel pipe? can i not be straightened?
    2. Seniors suggest me an order of priority items to be replaced.
    3. Also is the under body coating better to be done from Fiat or 3M directly?
    4. Is it better to wait and strain out the front suspension and then go for a GC Kit upgrade?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    If you describe the 'incident' in some detail then people would find it easy to suggest.
    Since you said you want to change tyres and go for gc kit too, i would suggest to upgrade tyres to 195/65 r15 profile. With this profile you wont need the gc kit

Sent from my GT-S5282 using Tapatalk
  5. sorry I haven't been clear. These damages have no relation to the incident. just that these were noted only when i took her for repair today.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Diesel pipe doesn't need to be changed if its not leaking, this pipes runs through a plastic cover open it and set the pipe correctly, someone must have pushed or pulled it while changine fuel filter.
    Strut pads now cost approx 1600/- each why they have given estimate of 5000/- check with them.
    Get the link rods changed from outside cost approx 700-800/- each or order from 99rpm.com Fiat Grande Punto & Linea stabilizer/ Anti rollbar link rod pair by Guttmann
    If you want to go for GC kit wait till front one die, if rear ones are leaking wont be long before front struts start leaking.
  7. Wow. That did bring in some smiles here. I'm close to bankruptcy this month :-D.

1. OEM Link rods are approx 3000 a pair Fiat Grande Punto & Linea stabilizer/ Anti rollbar link rod pair in Fiat Genuine and Guttmann ones are for 720 a pair (75% Saving :-D) but is it advisable?
    2. Strut Pads are 3000 a pair on 99rpm.com as well. i will call and check with the SA tomorrow.
    3. Diesel pipe - i will get them to do it in front of me during the delivery.

Looks like i was taken on a ride.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Even if diesel pipe breaks or ruptures it could probably be fixed with some rubber sleeve covering and silicon etc. Tell them to take care while removing or aligning the same.

I suggest get the GC kit first (4 shocks and pair of coil springs for Linea atleast). You can probably get away with the current strut pads. You can insist on using the same again.

Again the bar has been changed in some cases and left the same way in others, but it depends on how much real wear has happened. These components may not have worn that much.

EDIT: Looks like Guttmann surely will save you some dough. Please read the link below.

Corporate Tie-Up with GUTTMANN - Auto Parts
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Link rod for Linea is around 1350 each, no idea hows Guttmann quality but OEM may last you longer (40k -60k kms or may be longer)for sure so peace of mind and ofcourse saving in Labour for the next change in case guttmann doesn't last long.Still u can try.

If u dont want to replace the leaking shockers u can get them repaired.Here in Bombay it cost around RS 100 to repair shockers (oil filled only, gas filled cant be repaired).

Diesel pipe can be repaired.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014