1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Semi SLR or entry level DSLR?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by onlymakarand, May 25, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    But, I saw that it is still sold in US. Price seems to be very competitive. That is the reason why I also included D90 in my options. The difference between both these camera is almost $500. Is it worth spending the extra money on D7000?
  2. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    From a personal point of view - no. But if you are a demanding user, the better build quality of the D7000 helps (Weather sealed body with partial-magnesium alloy construction). If you shoot a lot of action, the 39 point autofocus (against 11 of D90) and continuous shooting rate of 6 fps (against 4.5 fps), would definitely help you. If you are concerned with the video, the D7000 shoots full HD videos and allows AF on video too. The D90 is a great camera in its own right. However, let me remind you, it's the lenses that determine the image quality. If you ask me, buy the cheaper camera body and invest more in lenses.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    As it is already written above by members you can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. Lens matters the most and also your knowledge of photography and settings which will give you the best shots. Once you buy a prosumer camera which tries to give all the functions in a package and use it for sometime, you will eventually upgrade to DSLR when you realize its limitations, and then slowly to better lenses, the on and on ..so start with DSLR if your budget permits. I have observed that Nikon lenses are costlier than Canon hence lots of people buy Canon so that they can buy different lenses in little lesser prices. I have used Nikon F 65 (35mm film camera), then Canon G5, then upgraded to Nikon D3100 and now already thinking of upgrading again :)
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    There are many things to look at here..
    When anyone buys a DSLR one needs to decide what exactly is its need.
    I mean just as a lens is important , the body should equally be given importance...

Eg,
    If you want to shoot wildlife then you would need a good lens no doubt but including that you also need a body with high burst rates.. The reason is simple. you can capture moments that happen in a split second and i mean "Split second".
    Just 1 example.

Many DSLRs are now offering full frame as well,
    Also true is the fact that you can manage you're exposure levels better and focus points better in a midrange to high end DSLRs
    So there are plenty of decisions to be made before picking one up.
    First decide how much you can spend then see what type of photography interests you and then pick up the body/lens ...
    This would be my suggestion.
    2 people like this.
  5. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ramjn: My take will be invest on lens rather than in body. I guess as you are going to start from scratch you can look for entry level DSLR's from both nikon and canon then start investing in lens like swapping the stock 15-55 for 18-135mm lens. Regarding the body, you could go for Nikon D3200/D5100 or canon D550/D600. If i were you i would go for canon because of these reasons.
    1. Easy navigation to menu's compared to Nikon
    2. Cost of ownership
    3. Made in Japan tag. I have 2 canon DSLR (D1000 and 60D)
    4. You can enroll for free basic photography classes
    I also heard Nikon camera's brought in US does not have warranty in India. You could check on this.
    Also some of these sites will be of use to you.
    www.bcmtouring.com/forum/equipment-talk-f72/
    Digital Photography Review
    Digital Camera, DSLR and Lens Reviews | Cameralabs

All the best buddy!!:)
    1 person likes this.
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Guys, can anyone tell me which is the best online source to purchase DSLR's apart from Flipkart?
    Is Ezoneonline.in genuine?
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, it is part of Future Group and has lots of retail stores as well.
    1 person likes this.
  8. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    You can check
    Buy the price dot com
    Zoomin dot com
    Check in Ebay.in also as I saw some good deals for the week.

Btw which body have you finally decided?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  9. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I will check it out harry. I am averse to ebay.in as I will not have control over the seller if he ships me refurbished piece.
  10. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I bought from shetala Cameras in thier shop in Bangalore, bargained and got a good deal in D3100 in 2009 Dec when It was first launched.
    I think they are one of the biggest importers of Cameras in India, corp office at Chennai.
    http://www.shetalacamera.com/contactus.asp

Sometime you get the best deal from grey market but you need to know the people.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.