1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Semi SLR or entry level DSLR?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by onlymakarand, May 25, 2012.

1. SAF_RoadWarrior

SAF_RoadWarrior Amatore

Linea 1.4
    I started my photography journey with nikon coolpix s4 later upgraded to canon S3.
    After some hands on with longer zoom point and shoot, I bought canon 350d with 18-55 and 55-250.
    Using the kit for more than 3 years ,on the year of 2010 I have upgraded my self to canon 50D ,17-85is,55-200is,50mm portrait,60mm macro.
    From all these years of photography,I can say that,start with a super zoom,know the basics,color-light combination,shutter speed,ISO etc.Then upgrade it to DSLR of mid/pro range like canon 50D/60D or Nikon D5000 etc with lenses of your choice.
    Check my photo stream : Flickr: amritapa's Photostream
  2. royj

royj Esperto

I started real photography with a Canon S1 IS long back in 2003-2004. Then changed over to a Sony DSC-R1 and I currently have a Nikon D5000 with three sets of lens.

However I must say the best pictures I took were with the Canon, because being small it was with me all the time and I could just take pictures whenever I wanted. The DSC-R1 and the D5000 are comparably bigger cameras and so most of the time they remain in the shelf.

Until you are really comfortable with cameras and photography I would suggest you stay away from professional stuff. Most of the prosumer cameras provide enough controls for you to play around with aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings and learn about photography.
  3. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

The prosumers as everyone calls them are good if you want good pics without having to play around too much with manual controls . There are some limitations to these cameras wrt ISO , aperture , shutter speed , but these would matter to you only if you wish to pursue photography seriously . If you're just looking at getting good pics without having to do much then a superzoom/prosume camera ifs your answer.

However DSLRs are a different ball game all together. Playing around with aperture . ISOs and shutter speeds to achieve different types of pics is what DSLR specializes in . It also involves using a lot of different types of lenses. the basic ones which comes bundled with entry level DSLR is 18-55 mm . Its a very basic lens with ver limited functionality .

However if you buy something like a 50 mm lens which is called a prime lens and has a focal length of 50 mm only . You cannot use the lens as a zoom lens . The only way you'd be able to zoom with this is to move around physically . BUt the kind of low light photography you would get with this is phenomenal .

So , when you plan on buying better lenses , the prices increase . I was fortunate enough to meet a wildlife photographer recently . His name is Kiran Ghadge . He bought a 500 mm lens in grey market without bill and warranty for a whopping 4 lakhs . with bill it costs a lot more .

So you can only imagine how expensive these optics get .

so , you need to decide if you're looking to get into some serious photography or just need it for basic usage . IF its basic usage get the sony hx series . But if you plan to learn more and folow photography as a hobby /passion then invest in a beginners camera like a D 3100 learn a lil bit and if you find it interesting then sell it off and get a more serious camera .

Again , Nikon and Cannon debate is a never ending debate . I personally loved the nikon so I got the 3100 . You now have a 3200 to choose . 5100 is good but is slightly expensive .

the D 90 and D 700 are higher end cameras and the bodies itself would cost upwards of 60 grand .
    2 people like this.
  4. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Can't agree more. Both Nikon and Canon have their share of positives and negatives, especially at the lower end of the DSLR game. However, the real competition is at the higher end. Cut-throat competition between the two have only benefited the customer. To say that one is better than the other, is like people blindly recommending a Maruti over other manufacturers i.e without knowing facts. Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and Pentax are also known to offer outstanding products that are also VFM. One thing that I like about these manufacturers is that many of them offer in-body image stabilisation, thereby reducing the need to buy lenses with IS/VR/OS, which effectively reduces the expenditure on lenses.

Now the OP needs to decide what he intends to shoot
    - For wildlife, a prosumer (with high optical zoom) would be best for the budget he has. If he goes ahead with a DSLR for this purpose, he will have to shell out twice or thrice the price of the DSLR body for the lens.
    - For macro work again, a DLSR with a dedicated macro lens - again beyond his budget but prosumers aren't meant for macro work.
    - For portraits and low-light work, again a DSLR with a fast prime lens (e.g a 50mm 1.4)
    - For landscapes, a DSLR with a wide angle lens (the kit lens will also work out great initially)
    On the other hand, if you intend to buy a camera for non-photographic purposes (or capturing memories as many people call) e.g capturing family events, picnics et al, any basic point and shoot camera would do, there is no necessity of investing in a DSLR.

As many others have pointed out, if you intend to get into serious photography, do your research well. Before investing in a camera, learn the basics of composition and exposure. I have found Flickr to be a great place for all things Photography.
    1 person likes this.
  5. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

so, a sonyHX200V or Nikon P510 is enough for my use...which is 'to capture memories'!! thanks guys!! i ve seen our TFIan Sanjeev's photos taken with sony hx100v, and i am quite impressed by them!! so,more inclined towards sony than nikon or canon...what say?
    1 person likes this.
  6. yes ...but i will suggest you to look canon sx40 also... a friend of mine bought it at the same time ...i however didnot like it so much coz it gave a very weird plastic feel..while sony hx100v is a bit heavy and feels nice to hold...
    photo quality is however nearly same ....
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  7. You can also try Canon SX 220 HS . I have got one this february for arnd 15K . Previoulsy I was having Sony and I believe that Canon's picture quality is better than Sony's. (Purely on

14 XOptical zoom , 12.1 MP .

Also after a little search got one made in Japan which is having superior quality than theone made in China.

1 person likes this.
  8. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Canon picture quality and pictures taken in dark is better than sony
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    I contemplating to buy a DSLR soon. Need your advice guys.

After some reading over the net, I have now shortlisted two cameras. Which would be good and is there any other better option for this as well?
    I am having Nikon D5100 and Nikon D90 or Nikon D7000 in mind. Please provide your inputs.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  10. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Nikon D90 has been discontinued. You won't be able to find a fresh piece. Go for the D7000 - great camera.
    1 person likes this.