1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Semi SLR or entry level DSLR?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by onlymakarand, May 25, 2012.

1. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    I am Terribly confused about the two concepts- semi DSLR (ones with long zoom) like Sony HX200V, Nikon P510.. or Entry level DSLRs like Canon 1100D,Canon550D, Nikon D100 etc..

I am a complete novice in photography..so any experts out there,could you please elaborate the difference betn the two?? Also, for a beginner like me, which one is more suitable..long zoom, or Entry DSLR?:confused: My budget is 20-35k.. plz help
  2. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Buy Canon EOS 550D...its the best DSLR in the market....u will get it for around 35K
  3. M A N U

M A N U Amatore

Bangalore
    how is nikon d3100 as compared to other entry level dslr?
  4. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    If you are a complete novice in photography, avoid DSLR.
  6. i will suggest you to go either for sony hx100v/200v or canon sx40...
    DSLR are no doubt the best in the business but then you need a bit of extra care for them and are expensive as you may need to buy lenses depedning on your use and need...
    both the cameras i have suggested are basically bridge cameras and good for novice like us...using it for few years will train you enough to go for a DSLR afterwards
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    If you want to take up photography as a hobby/profession then there is no denying that you will need a DSLR.
    Secondly if kept well there is nothing that is going to happen to you're DSLR (dont buy on Ebay or other portals.. go for an in store pick up).

Also you need to look at many things if you want to buy a DSLR...
    Photography « Shampavman's Blog
    (is my blog about photography you can read about the technicals there, then see if you really want to buy DSLR).

Having said that DSLR cant even be compared with any other cameras...

Flickr: Shampavman's Photostream
    is my flickr stream check out what you can do with a DSLR
    1 person likes this.
  8. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    There is nothing like a semi-SLR. That category of cameras is referred to as Prosumers or Superzooms. Nikon D3100 is an entry level DSLR. It has excellent low light performance for its price. However, it won't autofocus with older non-AF-S lenses. Canon 550D is a step above Nikon D3100 and Canon 1000D but is quite old now. You cannot go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. Buy one that meets your budget. The camera body hardly matters, it's the lenses that you put on them matter. Kit lenses are usually crap.
    2 people like this.
  9. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    There is no point in going for an entry level DSLR as the lens supplied is 18-55. Moreover i had a Nikon 3100 and i would say the pictures which are taken inside are horrible. For outdoor it seems okay. I sold it and got a nikon Aw100 which is far better. If you are going for a SLR then go for something above the D90 to D9000. Im not aware of the canon specs but EOS 550 D is supposed to be a good buy
  10. M A N U

M A N U Amatore

Bangalore
    iam looking for a entry level dslr as i am a novice , so do not want to invest too much on an expensive body.
    rather would prefer to start with with a cheaper body and upgrade lenses along the way if needed

canon d550 seems to be the most popular but somehow i am more inclined toward the nikons
    Last edited: May 25, 2012