1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Self service is the best service :D

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Sep 14, 2013.

1. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Patchy!! Need your input !
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Don't know whether this is the correct thread but from the heading i thought that this might fit here. I had earlier replaced my coolant container due to oil cooler leak. The details are here. Now the residual oil in the system has gradually came out into my new coolant container and it looks blackish. During the previous visit to the SC they SA advised that the container needs to be changed.

Fortunately they did not have the spare. I had to top up the coolant today evening and during that time suddenly it appeared in my mind that why should not i try cleaning the old container after all its only oil and i should be able to clean it with any solvent. I had turpentine oil with me, so i poured some into the container and got positive results. Then i poured some petrol into it and again the result was encouraging. After repeating the cleaning alternately with turpentine and petrol finally i was able to get rid of the oil inside the container.

Guys see for yourself:

Before:
    DSCN2756.jpg
    DSCN2760.jpg
    After:
    DSCN2761.jpg
    DSCN2762.jpg

As rajan rightly said self service is the best service.

Thank you Rajan for giving some space in your thread.
    5 people like this.
  3. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Very impressive work Satish...
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Good job Satish, but I beleive that all coolant hoses too would have a lining of oil within them. If I were you, I would get the whole system cleaned.

You can try some radiator flushes and replace with fresh coolant as the cooling system is one area you do not want to mess with.
  5. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you pdash.

Thank you driv3r. In fact the system was flushed a whole day when they changed the faulty oil cooler. What i cleaned was a sort of spare which the SC guys gave me when they changed the container also stating that this cannot be cleaned and the container has to be changed and i remember that they charged me for that. This was with the TATA guys. Now the same thing the FIAT SC guys is telling me that the container has to be changed because it is not clear. I was ready to change it but suddenly i thought i can clean this container as it was only oil that is deposited and any good solvent will dissolve the oil. Tried and hurrah it worked.

Now will use this container in my vehicle and take out the existing one, clean it and voila i will be having a spare coolant container.
    2 people like this.
  6. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Using common sense like you did is the way to go in most self service routes.. good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  7. Satish,
    You are taking away high labour and money of dealer by DIY. How can these people survive?:)
    1 person likes this.
  8. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Sat,

This will reach them a lesson - thy will have to 'attract' people to come to them ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Dont worry sat. They will keep in account and will extract this amount with interest from me some other time.:lol
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    satishgv - impressive results indeed. However, I would not use Petrol. If you want to try to get it cleaner, try a solution of IPA & water - 1:1. Also as suggested by others, using a radiator flush might be a good idea as well.

Rajan