1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Self service is the best service :D

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by PatchyBoy, Sep 14, 2013.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the expanation Rajan !! Appreciate your effort of drawing a picture :):)

you mean drain plug is at the rear end of the sump :) got it!
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Oh No. I did not draw that picture. Got it off the net and drew just the sloping line to indicate the ramp :D

Rajan
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I would not totally agree with the concept of self service for cars of the modern generation whose parts availability are controlled by the SCs . The maximum self service i would go for would be the kind Rajan did . This conclulsion is also borne out of my recent experience. I bought the 2010 suspension set and got it changed. The job was well done but the charge was Rs.1500/- whereas I found out the SC is charging 1400/- So no gain. Next in line was timing chain change. I bought the kit and estimated labour outside was Rs.2500/- same as SCs. I realised I was not going to save much but will be suspicious about how well the job has been done not that the SCs do a great job, but atleast I can fix responsibility if a bigger issue happens

I decided to get the timing chain done at the service centre itself after I got an opportunity to sell the parts I had bought to a friend who wanted to get it done privately. When the timing chain was replaced at the SC, they found out that the C bracket bush that hold the engine is cracked and also the rubber silencer suspension bushes were gone. I gave permission to change both. My realization is that if I had got the timing chain job done privately, either the mechanic would not have noticed the C bracket bush and the silencer bush troubles or even if he does I would have asked him to ignore and compromise because I dont have the spare and the SC would not give me OTC and it would beat prudency to buy more spares than required like in the case of timing chain where it is enough only to change the chain.

I would restrict my self service to just changing oils, switches, interior parts...etc. But if it involves the mechanicals, I would do it only in the SCs as there is more to these machines which are more controlled electronically before they are given to us as to operate mechanically. If in warranty period, even a non entry in the SCs at the perodic intervals would void the warranty and we just dont know what kind of hell will drop on us and when. So there is a risk that one takes in this kind of attempt. All is well that ends well and some people ride luck always:)

Abdul
    7 people like this.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Totally agree with you Abdul. The reason for doing this was not to save money, but to ensure that the quality of work done is good and best materials are used. I personally would not recommend anyone doing anything more than a routine service - changing fluids / filters, changing brake pads / rotors - themselves. I refrained from posting details on Fuel Filter change, due to safety concerns. It would require one to release the pressure in the fuel lines and take out the fuel filter. There would still be some amount of fuel spillage. If one is not very careful, chances of accidents are very high. I would not feel happy motivating someone to do it and then they end up having an accident.

For more complex maintenance - like the timing chain replacement, I would strongly recommend going to a professional. If that happens to be a FASC, so be it.

Rajan
    5 people like this.
  5. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Is it possible for us to give the better oils to the service guys to use during service?

Exactly how better is Mobil as against Selenia used by FIAT? Also, please advise the grade of Gear Oil to use for MJD, as my second service is due in about 2,000 km and I would like to get gear oil changed if it allows for better shifts.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Mobil 1 is fully synthetic and is the most preferred engine oil worldwide, for regular street car applications at least. In comparison, Selinia K or WR are both semi-synthetic. While they are good oils too, they do not match up to the quality of Mobil 1.

Given that yours is the second (free, I assume) service, and the car is under warranty, I don't think the ASC will accept your fluids. They will insist on using FIAT recommended fluids, to keep the warranty intact.

Rajan
  7. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Why, good morning! I had read somewhere that I should allow the engine to be on semi synthetic for about 15-20k km and then move to fully synthetic so that the engine gets run-in totally. That holds for our engines, too?

How much better will Mobil 1 be? I will do it by hook or crook.. Pay them for oil and not get changed or get changed and then take it out ... etc. :p

Also, they will change gear oil too in second service? Or is it a luxury I may afford from outside?

Again, I'm looking to know what to expect in terms of tangible gains with changing engine and gear oils to Mobil1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Good morning to you too :D

Mine is the T-Jet and FIAT recommended oil is Selenia K PE in the EU, which is fully synthetic. For reasons best known to FIAT, they are recommending Selenia K in India, which is semi. So, the same engine come filled with FS oil from the factory elsewhere. In my case, the oil was replaced at 5K kms with semi. I wanted to switch back to FS oil.

Rajan
  9. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Patchy, the more I read about FIAT, the more I believe that FIAT will be FIAT and it's just things like this that make FIAT, FIAT - offering fully synthetic oil elsewhere and semi here..

So what sort of performance improvements are we looking at with fully synthetic oil? And what do you mean when you say gear shifts have become smoother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    As fully synthetic oil is very good at providing lubrication on a cold start, which when it is most important, the initial roughness of the engine does not exist any longer. Also, the engine is far less noisier now, even at high revs. As for the gear shifts, they are still rubbery. But the difference is more in the effort it takes to shift. In my case, the second and reverse would resist a bit to engage. It was not hard, but just took a bit of extra effort.

Post the service, all gear changes can be done with 2 fingers. I think the magic is due to the Abro additive I used, rather than the gear oil itself.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.